Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

where do you shop for clothes?

Started by the science eel, August 05, 2021, 10:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

I can't find anything I want to wear.

imitationleather

For the past couple of years pretty much everything has come from the charity shop my girlfriend manages.

jobotic

Charity shops and ebay.

Would feel bad about ebay but it's not like I ever bought clothes in local shops called Fashion By Jackie with yellow windows and dead wasp displays.

shiftwork2

Just reminded me I haven't shopped for clothes for two years.

Thanks for the heads up!

Where do I do this then

holyzombiejesus

Uniqlo, M&S, Gap for some jeans. Used to go to Muji but they stopped selling clothes at their little bit in the Trafford Centre. I have very little variety with my clothes, usually checked, corduroy or plain shirts, jumper or cardigan, and jeans. Bor-ing.

jobotic

Twit 2

Haven't bought clothes in 12 years. If you ever see me looking nice, thank my wife.

Mr_Simnock

Ray Travez

Car boot sales, ebay, vinted. I flip clothes, so generally I make money or at least break even when I inevitably resell them.

I jettisoned most of my wardrobe earlier this year, and this, plus the time it takes to list and sell a men's shirt, means that I have far too many clothes hanging around right now.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Ray Travez on August 06, 2021, 12:20:33 AM
Car boot sales, ebay, vinted. I flip clothes, so generally I make money or at least break even when I inevitably resell them.

I jettisoned most of my wardrobe earlier this year, and this, plus the time it takes to list and sell a men's shirt, means that I have far too many clothes hanging around right now.

This is intriguing.  I have one pairs of jeans and my left knee is poking through with a rather sexy threadbare hole, how do I flip those?  When you say you have far too many clothes do you have sufficient shirts to get through a working week?  Immense if so.  Don't know if it's the pandemic (no, it isn't) but feel like I'm doing catch up here, which is fine

Ray Travez

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 06, 2021, 12:50:15 AM
This is intriguing.  I have one pairs of jeans and my left knee is poking through with a rather sexy threadbare hole, how do I flip those?

er, are they vintage? You could maybe focus on the sexiness of the hole. To be honest, I'm assuming you're on a good salary with your job; I doubt it's worth your time even considering it.

QuoteWhen you say you have far too many clothes do you have sufficient shirts to get through a working week?  Immense if so.  Don't know if it's the pandemic (no, it isn't) but feel like I'm doing catch up here, which is fine

After a rough count, I appear to have 35 shirts. Plus whatever is in the laundry pile. Plus I'd guess around ten for sale on ebay, and another eight that need to be listed, and maybe two on the floor.

It's too many shirts isn't it

mothman

Jeans: Diesel. So wherever I can get them cheapest - John Lewis or House of Fraser, though usually I just try them on there then get them online from, I dunno Jeans Direct or whatever.
T-shirts: Russell aka Jerzees heavy duty cotton, bought online from work clothing suppliers like Brookes.
Underwear: M&S! Or Asda/George. Not bothered really.
Socks: M&S sports socks, black. I've been wearing the same type for 30 years. If they stop making them I'm fucked. Yes I am autistic, why do you ask?
Tops etc.: wherever. JL. Fat Face. Debenhams while they existed.

Sorry, all that is probably if no help or interest whatsoever.

shiftwork2

Quote from: mothman on August 06, 2021, 01:27:55 AM
Jeans: Diesel.

Yet won't stretch to a grilled tomato.  I think we have the measure of the mothman.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Twit 2's wife gives me his cast offs.

Cold Meat Platter

chveik

my dad's wardrobe

Quote from: imitationleather on August 05, 2021, 10:35:22 PM
For the past couple of years pretty much everything has come from the charity shop my girlfriend manages.

that's a pretty sweet deal you've got there if you don't mind me saying

Tony Tony Tony

I get all my underwear from neighbours washing lines.

Dr Trouser

Asda for pants and Screwfix for everything else.

The Mollusk

Let's all go to Tescos
Where this guy buys their best clothes
Na-naaa-naa-na, hey!
Na-naaa-naa-na, hey!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He says that they're from Topman
But really they're from Oxfam
Na-naaa-naa-na
Na-naaa-naa-na

No need for the "hey!". Too much.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on August 05, 2021, 10:35:22 PM

I thought you said imagines at first.

It's good that she manages a charity shop and doesn't only imagine it.

Replies From View

My answer:  Charity shops, M&S and eBay.

M&S manages to not be scary, whereas most shops that sell clothes are scary places that have a smell inside like when you leave a polyester teddy bear in a patch of sunlight all day.

the science eel

Handful of votes for M&S, which surprises me a bit. I get my underwear and socks from there still, but not much else. I went into the Edinburgh branch the other day looking for a nice tweed JACKAT but they've stopped stocking them! just suits.

And the shirts have this boxy shape always.

Anyway, nobody's ever in there! You go in and there's one old fella wandering around looking puzzled and about three M&S employees fiddling about with displays. In fact I can't think of a shop that has a lower floor space/number of customers ratio

Replies From View

I suppose this would be a good opportunity for us to list all the cancelled clothes manufacturers that we know of.  Places that still use sweatshop conditions, or are "directed" by a nonce or several nonces.

Replies From View

Quote from: the science eel on August 06, 2021, 07:46:17 AM
And the shirts have this boxy shape always.

On average, people who post on CaB are disproportionately box-shaped in the chest region.

M&S trousers are also notoriously loose around the glans area.

Buelligan

I'm not in the least bit box-shaped.  Anyway, I don't shop for clothes, I repair them.  Fuck me, spent yesterday putting new knees in a couple of pairs of trousers.  I always (almost always) do them rather beautifully, if I say so myself but the heavy cloth and needles play havoc with my poor dear fingers.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on August 06, 2021, 07:56:18 AM
I'm not in the least bit box-shaped.  Anyway, I don't shop for clothes, I repair them.

Ok so either you are telling the truth, or you shop at M&S and are box-shaped.  Which is it.

Replies From View

oh and while I am on the subject, do you believe that sewing a vicar's lips together is a form of "repair"?