Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

where do you shop for clothes?

Started by the science eel, August 05, 2021, 10:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 15, 2021, 11:14:13 PM
It's a test. When asked by big 'ard bouncers to do something irrelevant and annoying do you
a) whimper "yes sir" and do it
b) yell "UP THE LIONS" and bottle them

I do, yes.

jobotic

I love wearing shirts. I mean i wear t-shirts too but a short just feels nicer. My favourite is a Levis one I bought nearly thirty years ago in a second hand shop and still looks new - got a lovely geometric pattern on it. Have an irrational aversion to collarless shirts, bit Neil Oliver if you know what I mean. Not sure I do. Never have button down collars buttoned down either. Why do they have them?

chveik

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 15, 2021, 05:32:57 PM
Where do youse all get your proper winter coats from? Major investment but you can't scrimp on 'em can you?

ebay. got a cashmere one and a loden for fuck all

flotemysost

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 15, 2021, 09:59:39 PM
Obviously it depends on the individual but for many peeps t-shirts just feel a bit scruffy after a certain age.

I know a few blokes who've sacked off T-shirts because while they once hung effortlessly off their sinewy young frames, a flimsy layer of cotton probably isn't so flattering when it's skimming over a latent beer gut, whereas a nice thick jumper or a well-made shirt can still be carried off with panache on a bigger frame. (It doesn't bother me either way, people should wear whatever they want obviously, but I can understand the reasoning.)

Also as per the recent rubbish T-shirt thread I'm sure there are loads of us with regrettable slogan tees lurking at the back of the wardrobe.

I'm still a fan of a good quality slim-but-boxy striped T-shirt (are we allowed to call any horizontally stripey top a Breton top?), seems like a useful item to have on hand for looking vaguely presentable but not overly formal.

touchingcloth

Maybe if you can pull of the chic French look, but in a striped tee I'd look like an escaped convict.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: flotemysost on October 16, 2021, 12:33:27 AM
I know a few blokes who've sacked off T-shirts because while they once hung effortlessly off their sinewy young frames, a flimsy layer of cotton probably isn't so flattering when it's skimming over a latent beer gut, whereas a nice thick jumper or a well-made shirt can still be carried off with panache on a bigger frame. (It doesn't bother me either way, people should wear whatever they want obviously, but I can understand the reasoning.)

heh I used to wear a jumper for about 80% of the year when I had to wear one in work just 'cos it meant I didn't have to iron my shirts.

when I worked somewhere where it was 'wear what you like' I think I did shorts from about april -> october.

GoblinAhFuckScary

wanted to share these cute things i got for my partner off ebay where i do all my shopping that ain't chazzas. chazzas are BEST

the science eel

so I saw a UNIQLO for the first time ever and got a smart sweater

that's an achievement and I'm happy with it

now to get an anorak

Albert Soviets

None of the charity shops I visit seem to sell proper old man clothes any more. Time was I could spot a few harris tweed numbers made by Dunn and Co. These days they just seem to full of fairly bland t shirts and xxxl shirts with loud checks and what have you. Old fellers don't wear tweed anymore I s'pose.

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 16, 2021, 08:26:43 PM
wanted to share these cute things i got for my partner off ebay where i do all my shopping that ain't chazzas. chazzas are BEST

Cute socks! What's the second one meant to be? Is that a character or just some random cute design?

Quote from: the science eel on October 16, 2021, 09:09:28 PM
so I saw a UNIQLO for the first time ever and got a smart sweater

Funnily enough I went to a chazza yesterday and got myself a UNIQLO top! £3. That's the only way I'll be buying UNIQLO stuff now ;)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Albert Soviets on October 17, 2021, 01:27:16 PM
None of the charity shops I visit seem to sell proper old man clothes any more. Time was I could spot a few harris tweed numbers made by Dunn and Co. These days they just seem to full of fairly bland t shirts and xxxl shirts with loud checks and what have you. Old fellers don't wear tweed anymore I s'pose.

You can still get proper Harris Tweed in Embra's charity shops, but they tend to price it quite high and put it in the window display where the tourists will see it, along with the Ian Rankin and Harry Potter books and The Broons annuals. Also some charity shops hoard all the best stuff and send it to shops in big cities, so the ones out in the sticks just get the Mills & Boon novels and Val Doonican albums and stuff from Primark and Matalan. Oxfam certainly do this, and of course they also send the best records and books to their Oxfam record and book shops, not to mention the clothes that go to their online store.

Picked up a couple of nice proper wool scarves lately, with labels indicating that they were woven by gnarly-handed artisans on remote Scottish islands. Better than heading to the tartan tat shops and getting one that costs £40 and is three atoms thick.

Charity shops do tend to have a much poorer offering for men in general. Why don't men donate clothes more often?

flotemysost

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 16, 2021, 08:26:43 PM

These are both adorable! I'm seeing a raggedy space hopper on the T-shirt. Either that or Cyril Sneer's let himself go.

All Surrogate

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 17, 2021, 01:30:40 PM
What's the second one meant to be? Is that a character or just some random cute design?

It's from Twin Peaks.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 17, 2021, 01:30:40 PM
Cute socks! What's the second one meant to be? Is that a character or just some random cute design?

Quote from: flotemysost on October 17, 2021, 01:57:31 PM
These are both adorable! I'm seeing a raggedy space hopper on the T-shirt. Either that or Cyril Sneer's let himself go.

they're cute! and my partner is pleased. i'm a sucker for viv westwood (you may remember me getting tricked for a scam website on a previous thread lol)

the shirt is from the new twin peaks season yes! bad coop's spooky card

Blue Jam

Thanks, Goblin and All Surrogate!

mentionmsm

Well, I am trying to buy clothes from multiple sources because I have a specific style and don't like to be dressed in the same brand as some people wearing only Gucci.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: mentionmsm on August 23, 2022, 04:28:14 PMWell, I am trying to buy clothes from multiple sources because I have a specific style and don't like to be dressed in the same brand as some people wearing only Gucci.

are all yer mates wearing gucci mentionmsn

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I buy a lot of stuff from those hipstery vintage clothing places you get in cities with a lot of young people in them, largely because they seem to be the only place I can find cord shirts for a decent price. Also go charity shop scouring every now and then. Haven't bought any new clothes in ages cause they cost too much and I've got too many of them but who knows what happen in the future

Got some nice big coats too

Ferris

Bought a duffel coat for winter on Etsy, just arrived today and the fucker is tiny.

Gutted.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Ferris on August 23, 2022, 06:32:16 PMBought a duffel coat for winter on Etsy, just arrived today and the fucker is tiny.

Gutted.

Did you in fact buy it from Itsy?

I just got a very nice French Connection wool jumper (preparing for winter at home) for about £7 off Vinted.

the science eel

Vodkafone

Quote from: the science eel on August 23, 2022, 06:43:06 PMdoes it smell a bit?

The jumper? No. Looks almost brand new. Although I suspect I'm missing a joke here

Aaron500

This thread makes me want it to be winter so I can wear my coats what I got from TK Maxx late last winter.

#1 is a G-Star Raw puffa, whose target market is probably more "mid-ranking urban street dealer" rather than a 50-y-o like me. It's the warmest coat I've ever had.

#2 is a more sensible black anorak by some other label

The two were almost £200, comfortably my biggest ever clothes purchase.

Probably my previous biggest was a Mahirishi coat, also from the Maxx, which lasted me years, but when I looked to replace it they wanted £1,800 for something not as nice.

Otherwise it's Primark, usually when visiting another town that has a better version than the one here. And I like the short-lived seconds shops which crop up in shopping centres for a couple of months, selling off stock from failed stores in the short window of time before they also fail.

the science eel

Quote from: Vodkafone on August 23, 2022, 07:30:42 PMThe jumper? No. Looks almost brand new. Although I suspect I'm missing a joke here

no no!

enjoy it :)

Cuellar

I BUY CLOTHES FROM THE OXFAM ONLINE SHOP

Dex Sawash

I bought some from a necrobumped thread

flotemysost

Quote from: Cuellar on August 23, 2022, 08:49:46 PMI BUY CLOTHES FROM THE OXFAM ONLINE SHOP

YES KING. I've bought some decent stuff from there, though the descriptions range from hilariously superfluous and detailed to tersely minimal.

I ordered some stuff from the Crisis online shop recently and there was a handwritten note in my parcel saying "Thanks for having great taste!" which made me feel pretty chuffed, even though I'm sure they say that to everyone.

(It was a banging haul though - good-as-new Diadora trainers, a black linen Mango maxidress and a rainbow-stripy T-shirt. Should see me through the remainder of this infernal fucking heat at least, if it ever ends.)

Pink Gregory

Genuinely a lot of my clothes are hand me downs from my dad's chazza shop diving (I never seem to be able to find anything clothes wise)

Anything new, genuinely, Cotton Traders and Land's End.  Plain.

Sebastian Cobb

If I buy a pair of chinos will it see me into palliative care quicker?

Cuellar

Quote from: flotemysost on August 23, 2022, 09:19:20 PMYES KING. I've bought some decent stuff from there, though the descriptions range from hilariously superfluous and detailed to tersely minimal.

It's a good shop. Free returns too, which puts it miles above stuff like Vinted for me, where the policy seems to be if it doesn't fit/is dogshit then tough.