Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

where do you shop for clothes?

Started by the science eel, August 05, 2021, 10:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 06, 2021, 09:47:24 AM
Everyone seems to be getting their togs (one for the kids) from chain stores or charity shops. I have long since drifted from the world of fashion so am unsure if the sort of place I used to get my threads from still exist.

I would make a pilgrimage to Manchester Arndale to a boutique called Stolen From Ivor. I was the proud owner of a pair of 48" flares with patch pockets and a five button waistband. These were lethal in a high wind of when running as they could have you arse over tit on a regular basis. I also had a pair of Oxford bags with turn ups that would catch lit dog ends intended to have been flicked casually to the floor. On a couple of occasions I was almost burnt to the ground.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that Stolen From Ivor wasn't unique to Manchester. They had a branch in Blackburn too, and possibly even further afield.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 06, 2021, 01:47:51 PM
I'm sorry to have to tell you that Stolen From Ivor wasn't unique to Manchester. They had a branch in Blackburn too, and possibly even further afield.

Too right, but the one in Manchester was the first and always the best...

From https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/legendary-clothing-chain-stolen-ivor-8357895

QuoteThe first Stolen From Ivor shop opened on the trendy King Street West in the city centre in 1965 and has been a staple of the city's fashion scene for generations.

In 1966 it became the first store in the north of England to stock Levis jeans, which then cost £2.37 a pair.

The brand grew and at its peak it had 43 stores across the north west, including Stockport, Altrincham, Bolton and Bury.

£2.37! and a bright yellow carrier bag too.

imitationleather

Quote from: steve98 on August 06, 2021, 01:37:20 PM
"Where do you shop for clothes?" Is this a serious question? In 2021? Where do you shop for clothes?... I'm speechless. 

Where do you shop for clothes?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: steve98 on August 06, 2021, 01:37:20 PM
"Where do you shop for clothes?" Is this a serious question? In 2021? Where do you shop for clothes?... I'm speechless.

Well, where do you shop for clothes, steve98?

Blue Jam

Quote from: greenman on August 06, 2021, 12:52:21 PM
TK Maxx, were a lazy man/tight man look like he's shopped at multiple places.

TK Maxx is great innit?

Pranet

Whenever I look in TK Maxx I just find a load of mental looking stuff that is still really expensive. Probably don't look often enough.

Blue Jam

The mental-looking stuff is one of the perks. Walking around the women's shoe section alone is like a visit to a sculpture park. A visit to TK Maxx never disappoints.

steve98

Quote from: imitationleather on August 06, 2021, 03:19:13 PM
Where do you shop for clothes?

Exclusively George at ASDA - I'm a Georgie Boy. They have everything I need at prices that won't break the bank. I'll never shop anywhere else.

jobotic

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 06, 2021, 06:00:54 PM
The mental-looking stuff is one of the perks. Walking around the women's shoe section alone is like a visit to a sculpture park. A visit to TK Maxx never disappoints.

The one here is mainly Legend Gary gear for the men. I did get some nice work trousers once though. And some dirt cheap but horribly uncomfortable Converse

Noodle Lizard

I don't. Except for pants and socks, most of the clothes I wear are at least 10 years old, some from when I was a teenager. I've gained about 1.5 stone over the past couple of years, but my clothes still just about cover my flesh, so why would I need to buy more.

pigamus

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 06, 2021, 05:24:00 PM
TK Maxx is great innit?

Whenever I go in there, if you find anything decent it's not usually that cheap, and if it is that cheap it's usually lime green.

thenoise

I click on Facebook ads for fly by night companies that only make one style of clothing and claim its hand made by a happy cooperative in Wales or some such bollocks. They are usually reassuringly expensive, and rather plain. Probably a front for people trafficking or drugs, but i fall for it every single time.

mothman

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 06, 2021, 01:53:00 AM
Yet won't stretch to a grilled tomato.  I think we have the measure of the mothman.

Oh, trust me, you've barely scratched the surface of my hypocrisy. And you're also wrong. I WILL stretch to a grilled tomato - to throw it as far away as possible.

Chedney Honks

I only buy my clothes direct from the Cave online booth in Japan for when I play my shooting games on my arcade stick.

I just ordered a T-shirt of the game Ketsui. Probably gonna take about six weeks to arrive because I cheaped out on postage but it'll be worth the wait when I clear Ketsui live at Arcade Club and people start cheering. Probably never wear it when my wife is around, gotta be honest.

And here's my Dodonpachi baseball jacket.

Sometimes I put it on when my wife goes out and then I put it back in the wardrobe when I hear her coming back in.

She buys all my other clothes or her mum because of the above.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Like the baseball one. I bet you're like the living embodiment of Ryan Gosling when you don that thing, except you're battling pink bullets, instead of battling... whatever he was battling in that film.   

mothman

Your experience of Blade Runner 2049 obviously differs greatly from my own.

Ferris

Shirts and trous from uniqlo, otherwise I'm in Levi's 511s (bought from Marks Work Warehouse, the best place to get clothes) and a tshirt sold by an indie band or a brewery I've been to and enjoyed. I also enjoy a nice fleece from the hiking coop down the road.

So basically get into hiking coops, indie bands, breweries, or go to Marks Work Warehouse. I don't think I've done any clothes shopping since about 2018 though, so make of that what you will.

Ok cheers.

mothman

I'm not sure I've bought many clothes recently either. Replaced my jeans start of last year (had to, went down from 36 to 34). Got some new boxers for Christmas. Oh, and a couple of jumpers which sorted my tops supply. All I've done this year is a bulk replacement of my t-shirts.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 06, 2021, 11:30:48 PM
Like the baseball one. I bet you're like the living embodiment of Ryan Gosling when you don that thing, except you're battling pink bullets, instead of battling... whatever he was battling in that film.

Cheers. I like to think so when I put it on and listen to 'Real Human Being' and pretend I'm a real human being.

And a real hero.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

rack and peanut

Asda for bottoms, Next for tops.

Now, if we're talking about clothes...

itsfredtitmus

charity shop
if it looks like someone racist would wear it then you better wear it

Blue Jam

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on August 08, 2021, 04:14:49 AM
charity shop
if it looks like someone racist would wear it then you better wear it

I'd love to go round all the Edinburgh charity shops picking up The Duke of Edinburgh's old tweed suits.

...but isn't dead yet. Come on Phil, get well soon.

timebug

I  have spent the majority of my life in jeans,tee shirts and trainers. Hardly a fashion victim. Often called a scruff, in fact. Couldn't care less. I wear what is comfortable and practical, for me. I used to do the same at work, among suit and tie wearing colleagues.

flotemysost

Charity shops all the way here too, at least for outerwear, shoes and accessories. I've got an embarrassment of gooduns near me, so it's great for finding slightly unusual bits which get quite a few compliments/vintage designer stuff, and obviously it's better for the environment and your money's going to charity rather than Big Cloth.

Not so great when you're in the market for something specific though, looking for a non-hideous light hooded jacket to counter this stupid fucking cat piss weather at the moment but I can't find anything.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 06, 2021, 06:00:54 PM

There was a pair of Dolce and Gabbana high heels in our local, knocked down to £499.
Some sparkles missing, so we didnt buy them. They were truly a sight to behold.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Brian Freeze on August 08, 2021, 11:17:09 PM
There was a pair of Dolce and Gabbana high heels in our local, knocked down to £499.
Some sparkles missing, so we didnt buy them. They were truly a sight to behold.

Edit: I was way out in my recollection of these shoes. Reduced from £1040 to a bargain £199. One big red sparkly stone missing. Size 6.

Didn't mean to quote myself. Might get the hang of this one day.

Buelligan

Jesus, that's my size.  Does the missing stone show badly?

If anyone's after some good walking boots, have a look at the "Merrell Moab 2 LTR Mid gtx".
Really comfy straight from the off.
They're not cheap but they've lasted me aaaages so far.
You have to try them on, but I found that the "size 9's" fit best, so I'd start there.

I once bought loads of black t-shirts from jacemo, "capsule" brand, they were nice and long and decent material and they washed really well, but I need some new ones now and when I went to buy them, I saw lots or reviews like this

QuoteTerrible t shirts since the change

I used to purchase the crew neck long t shirts that were made by capsule and the quality used to be great. However, since the change of material and fabric - they are absolutely terrible. I purchased them in bulk and the next line was too wide and the quality of the fabric was too thin and very cheap like. They need to go back to the previous supplier/manufacturer as I will not be buying this cheap tat!!!

so that's no good, is it? Anyone know of any decent ones to get?