Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When will The Rolling Stones end?

Started by Butchers Blind, August 06, 2021, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

They've announced another tour. Charlie Watts is out this time which leaves the other three. Jagger is 78 and has had some sort of heart surgery recently. Ronnie Wood has been through a cancer battle and Keith is technically dead.
How much longer can this go on?

Pauline Walnuts

When Keith stops being a boring blues obsessed cunt, ie when he carks it.

Ferris

Who is going to see them? The mind boggles.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 06, 2021, 10:09:09 PM
When the money stops.

Surely they have enough now. At their age, what is the point of acquiring more wealth?

peanutbutter

When all the people who want to see them live before they die have seen them, we're probably not that far off that at that stage

kalowski

I saw them in 1990 and whilst they were good it was clear they were old and probably needed to quit in the near future. Or so I thought.
I'm now older than Jagger was in 1990. Fuck it, let 'em go on for ever. They enjoy it. What else are they going to do. They're not making you buy tickets.

chveik

Kankurette

When they all die, which is never going to happen.

FredNurke

When they start to gather moss, obviously.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Shaky

Aw, let them go on till they drop. I've no real love for the Stones but their persistence is kind of great. Something will definitely feel off with the world once they stop.

non capisco

I will forever defend the rights of a septuagenarian man from Dartford to wiggle their bony old aris about in front of a crowd. For one day that man may be me.

Waking Life

I saw them on their last-ish tour. It was a great legacy set, despite the age and being miles back. Saw Richard Branson in the crowd, which was life affirming.

They were also pretty much note perfect, which means they probably had a bit of support behind the scenes. Did I care? Songs were banging.

shiftwork2

No Charlie, no Stones, they've already ended.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Waking Life on August 07, 2021, 08:16:16 AM
I saw them on their last-ish tour. It was a great legacy set, despite the age and being miles back. Saw Richard Branson in the crowd, which was life affirming.

They were also pretty much note perfect, which means they probably had a bit of support behind the scenes. Did I care? Songs were banging.

Sorry, but why bother? If you can't see them properly and you know they're probably not playing, why not just see a tribute act?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 06, 2021, 10:37:55 PM
Surely they have enough now. At their age, what is the point of acquiring more wealth?
they're an industry. It's not up to them. They will be convinced to roll out on yet another tour until they are dust.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 06, 2021, 10:34:35 PM
Who is going to see them? The mind boggles.
your dad

mobias

Quote from: Waking Life on August 07, 2021, 08:16:16 AM

They were also pretty much note perfect, which means they probably had a bit of support behind the scenes.

Its not as if they haven't had enough practice over the years. Age and drug taking aside if ever a band could play a flawless live set in their sleep its the Stones.

Jagger'll probably go out like Tommy Cooper.

Waking Life

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 07, 2021, 08:56:11 AM
Sorry, but why bother? If you can't see them properly and you know they're probably not playing, why not just see a tribute act?

Could you not say this about any tribute band? I was being facetious about them not playing (as they clearly still were), but it's not unusual for bands of that stature to utilise backstage technicians, particularly to recreate more complex studio work.

I wasn't bothered enough to see the sweat on their brow and rarely push close to the front in any gig (anymore). The sound isn't compromised and atmosphere was still fantastic. If you ever choose to see an 'arena band' (festival headliner, sporting event etc), you're always likely to be relatively far back unless you're willing to pay five times the price to see them up close and persomal. Obviously I'd have preferred to have seen them in the Glenlyn Ballroom in Forest Hill back in the 60s, but was still one of the best gigs I'd seen that year.

Pretty sure I had a similar discussion on this forum when I owned up to seeing Kraftwerk live without Schneider.

jobotic

My dad played me his new CD of Ronnie Wood doing a Chuck Berry tribute night in Wimborne, Dorset. Was rather good (singing aside) and I doubt he did that for the money.Also introduced me to this gorgeous Chuck instrumental that I'd somehow never heard before.

https://youtu.be/n15fgbW99g8

Waking Life

Quote from: mobias on August 07, 2021, 09:26:17 AM
Its not as if they haven't had enough practice over the years. Age and drug taking aside if ever a band could play a flawless live set in their sleep its the Stones.

I have seen other septuagenarians struggle to hit the notes live on guitar and vocals years after their heyday. Brian Wilson and BB King spring to mind. I'm not sure it's to do as much with practice (and younger bands will probably do a lot more of this ahead of a tour), but general health, condition of vocal chords and dexterity. It was actually my main reservation about seeing them live but they surprised me (although with the caveat in my previous post).

(I don't just see legacy acts by the way, despite the implication).

EDIT: for my poor typing

PaulTMA

When they stop making bangers.  They haven't stopped have they

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 07, 2021, 11:09:01 AM
When they stop making bangers.  They haven't stopped have they

Their last album of original material was released in 2005. Which doesn't really matter, admittedly. No one attending a Stones concert these days is itching to hear anything they've put out since 1983.

Chicory

I heard this great gag, right.  THE STROLLING BONES.

kalowski

PaulTMA

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 07, 2021, 11:18:53 AM
Their last album of original material was released in 2005. Which doesn't really matter, admittedly. No one attending a Stones concert these days is itching to hear anything they've put out since 1983.

But... bangerz?  They're great, aren't they?

iamcoop

Whilst I love The Stones dearly I had no desire to see them before, so I certainly have no desire to see them without Charlie (who to me, despite what everyone else says has always been the coolest Stone).

A good friend of mine who's a real live music nerd still insists that when he saw them a few years back it was one of the best gigs he's ever been to and I trust his judgement so I suppose I would be tempted.

The thing is it's not accessible for the curious is it? If I could buy a ticket for £20-£30 I'd be there in a shot but I have no idea why there's so many people out there still willing to pay upwards of £100 to watch a group of extremely old men trot out stuff they've been playing for almost 60 years.