Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When will The Rolling Stones end?

Started by Butchers Blind, August 06, 2021, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: Waking Life on August 07, 2021, 10:23:31 AM
I have seen other septuagenarians struggle to hit the notes live on guitar and vocals years after their heyday. Brian Wilson and BB King spring to mind.

I saw Brian Wilson four years ago and he was....well, he really didn't do much at all except look scared and sit at a grand piano. He came on and off stage about five times too.

Really great show, tho'! but oddly, he was the vacuum in the middle of the whole thing.

I wouldn't go and see the Stones not because they're very old but because I've never thought they were a particularly good live act. Even on those supposedly legendary 70s boots they sound feeble, everything sped-up, Jagger just sort of squawking.

idunnosomename

Quote from: iamcoop on August 07, 2021, 12:12:23 PM
The thing is it's not accessible for the curious is it? If I could buy a ticket for £20-£30 I'd be there in a shot but I have no idea why there's so many people out there still willing to pay upwards of £100 to watch a group of extremely old men trot out stuff they've been playing for almost 60 years.
yeah precisely. people are just buying the right to say they've seen them. and that's a very valuable product.

they gross about $10M a show. I don't know how it all gets split up but venues, tour agents, labels, and the whole industry is not going to stop mining that reliable money however much the band get out of it.

Waking Life

Quote from: the science eel on August 07, 2021, 12:16:58 PM
I saw Brian Wilson four years ago and he was....well, he really didn't do much at all except look scared and sit at a grand piano. He came on and off stage about five times too.

Really great show, tho'! but oddly, he was the vacuum in the middle of the whole thing.

I wouldn't go and see the Stones not because they're very old but because I've never thought they were a particularly good live act. Even on those supposedly legendary 70s boots they sound feeble, everything sped-up, Jagger just sort of squawking.

He has some good musicians / arrangements around him. Arguably it's less 'authentic' than other legacy acts, but I really enjoyed the Smile stuff, even if he looked dazed and confused. Have also seen the Mike Love version of The Beach Boys, who were far tighter on the Beach Boys tracks, but I struggled to get past Mike Love inevitably. So Brian Wilson version a far better experience overall.

chveik

i wonder if they're bored of playing always the same songs. it's been a decade since i've willingly listened to their music but i think they have some good stuff in their back catalogue

Isn't he a bit mentally fucked and often hearing voices that taunt him that he's going to mess up in front of all those people watching him?

the science eel

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 07, 2021, 01:00:07 PM
Isn't he a bit mentally fucked and often hearing voices that taunt him that he's going to mess up in front of all those people watching him?

I think so. He had to be helped on and off, and that was in 2017. But there's a big demand for those old songs, and as long as he's alive, he'll do what he can. I mean, it's just about SEEING him, really. Especially when you've got support like that to LISTEN to.

Kankurette

I saw him around the same time and it wasn't about him so much as his backing band. Matthew Jardine et al. Wilson has the advantage of having a shit hot band behind him and not having to do everything himself.

jobotic

I saw Love (well Arthur Lee and some younger blokes) not that long before he died. Really worried beforehand that it might be a bit of a sad affair but it was fantastic.

AzureSky

12th July 2022, London? Got to go for 60 years now haven't they.

Dyl Spinks

Keith always said he'd stop playing when Charlie did, but getting Steve Jordan on board (temporarily?) will work for The Human Riff.

If you've never seen Neil Young nailing Rockin' in the Free World with Jordan on drums on Saturday Night Live, I think Daily Motion might have it.

*edit* it's on YouTube now; it wasn't, for years: https://youtu.be/JHs_f063EzQ

*second edit* I posted the rehearsal by mistake. This might be the actual aired performance: https://vimeo.com/261974485

I'm making an arse of this.

I believe Neil said he ran and did weights beforehand, so as to hit it in full flow and not "cold". After ten years of electronica, country, Geffen lawsuit.

Anyway, uh...good drummer.

kalowski

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on August 07, 2021, 08:28:19 PM
Keith always said he'd stop playing when Charlie did, but getting Steve Jordan on board (temporarily?) will work for The Human Riff.

If you've never seen Neil Young nailing Rockin' in the Free World with Jordan on drums on Saturday Night Live, I think Daily Motion might have it.

*edit* it's on YouTube now; it wasn't, for years: https://youtu.be/JHs_f063EzQ

*second edit* I posted the rehearsal by mistake. This might be the actual aired performance: https://vimeo.com/261974485

I'm making an arse of this.

I believe Neil said he ran and did weights beforehand, so as to hit it in full flow and not "cold". After ten years of electronica, country, Geffen lawsuit.

Anyway, uh...good drummer.
Yes, they did something like a 30 minute workout before si they were sweaty, knackered and in the zone. Whatever they did, it worked.

kalowski

P.S. My 18th birthday that performance.

TheMonk

I wasn't a huge fan but saw them a few years ago and it was amazing.
Jagger is like a freak of nature at his age.

They still look like they had it when the last toured in 2019.

https://youtu.be/NTUS7IMs_O4

impressive really. Can't see why you'd ever want to watch a Stones cover band though.

Shit Good Nose

I saw BW in Bristol years before that (checking the tinterwebs it was 2007) and he was much the same, except then he didn't even move on or off the stage, he just sat there whilst the band did 99% of the work.  Similarly when I saw Peter Green (with the Splinter Group), it was one of his "off" nights and, from memory, he "sang" Oh Well and played a bit of rhythm guitar on a couple of songs, but otherwise Nigel Watson did all the work (and I've only just clocked that Watson died a couple of years ago).

I'm seeing Genesis - my favourite band - next month and, assuming Phil Collins is still alive. my expectations are set VERY VERY low and I will not be in the least bit surprised if I come away disappointed.  I just figure this will be the last time they will ever be on stage together, so I kinda have to go.

As for the Stones - no strong desire to see them myself, but they are in better performing shape than most acts in the wave or two that followed them, so as long as they're alive and people are happy to pay, then why shouldn't they carry on.

Quote from: TheMonk on August 08, 2021, 01:19:04 AM
Jagger is like a freak of nature

True-although he looked a little better when driven home after lip-reduction.

timebug

Never seen the Stones live,and never particularly wanted to. I recently watched the Scorsese film 'Shine A Light' which was meant to be a documentary  on the band, a sort of 'The Last Waltz' if you like, but with the aged brits instead of The Band.
It failed to grip me; Jagger is just too old to prance around like that, and reminded me constantly of Hugh Dennis' 'Dad dance' from the Mary Whitehouse Experience days. And Keef must have died about fifty years ago, but no one told him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Given that they haven't released a new album in 16 years, do the Rolling Stones have the right to call themselves an extant group? It's a bit My Bloody Valentine- ish.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 08, 2021, 09:20:39 AM
Given that they haven't released a new album in 16 years, do the Rolling Stones have the right to call themselves an extant group? It's a bit My Bloody Valentine- ish.
fucking hell don't encourage them

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 08, 2021, 09:20:39 AM

They've been working on a new album of original stuff for over a year so it's probably not far away.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 08, 2021, 01:33:14 AM
I'm seeing Genesis - my favourite band - next month and, assuming Phil Collins is still alive. my expectations are set VERY VERY low and I will not be in the least bit surprised if I come away disappointed.  I just figure this will be the last time they will ever be on stage together, so I kinda have to go.

Someone I know who's on the mixing desk for rehearsals has leaked the setlist to me if you're interested:

Spoiler alert
For Absent Friends / More Fool Me / Cuckoo Cocoon / Aisle of Plenty / Harlequin / Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats / Funny Band Anecdotes / Audience Q & A and optional singalong of 'Happy Birthday' to audience member 
ENCORE: Ravine / Dusk
[close]

Given their fans' demographic, they've done re-recordings: Little Red Rooster is now Little Red Roofer, about a retirement bungalow; Honkeytonk Woman is Wonky-cronk OAP-man; Not Fade Away has become Now Fading Rapidly Away; Satisfaction has the same title but is about legal compensation for mis-sold pensions and mismanaged retirement funds; Angie is short for angina.

Kankurette

Paint It Black is now about creosote.

Pauline Walnuts

idunnosomename

Street Scooter Man
500 Bus Stops From Home
Too Much Blood (in my stool)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on August 08, 2021, 11:54:11 AM
Someone I know who's on the mixing desk for rehearsals has leaked the setlist to me if you're interested:

Spoiler alert
For Absent Friends / More Fool Me / Cuckoo Cocoon / Aisle of Plenty / Harlequin / Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats / Funny Band Anecdotes / Audience Q & A and optional singalong of 'Happy Birthday' to audience member 
ENCORE: Ravine / Dusk
[close]

STILL no Harold The Barrel.  GAWWWWW!!!!!!

gilbertharding

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 06, 2021, 10:10:37 PM
When Keith stops being a boring blues obsessed cunt, ie when he carks it.

Oh fucking hell, isn't he a boring old fucker?

His endlessly fascinating opinions about all the new bands - like Led Zeppelin, and David Bowie, and Prince...

I mean, we shouldn't be surprised, but really.

jobotic

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow?

There's no one there Mick. Nurse, he's out of bed again!

famethrowa

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 09, 2021, 09:46:41 AM
Oh fucking hell, isn't he a boring old fucker?

Speaking of which, I was considering talking some major shit about Charlie just to swim against the tide. Facebook here I come