Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GLINTENDO GC: Bananac*nt Cis Tory X: You can't spell MUMSNET without TEN

Started by madhair60, August 07, 2021, 01:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

oh sorry lol i need to quote bailey's response to being called out for that post

Quote from: bailey*For all those getting their knickers in a twist about my use of the term 'sock puppet'. I use it to describe GC Twitter users who remain anonymous, no doubt due to the abuse they can expect to receive if they were not.

Quote from: twitter randoI wish you wouldn't use the term this way, it's really confusing, since it's not what online users have meant by it ever since the Dark Ages of Usenet.

Quote from: baileyI disagree, I think it's context specific and evolving in meaning. Goodness me, if 'woman' can be broadened to mean all sorts of things, 'sock puppet' can be broadened beyond its original meaning & that's what's happening.

how is she not a troll

new page cunt

JamesTC

What does the TERF bible (The Dictionary) define "sock puppet" as?

frajer

Means whatever they want it to in that precise second of arguing, no matter if it contradicts what they've said before or what the world knows it actually means.

Sock puppets of course are widely acknowledged as spreaders of deceit and manipulation so ironically Bailey saying she loved them was the most honest she's ever been.

They're such fucking idiots.

idunnosomename

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 08, 2021, 12:33:14 PM
the chat's been had before but is allsion bailey actually real or an elaborate con to misappropriate crowdfunds?

she must be the only one of them fash with one photo in existence and no apparent corpreal presence. just grimacing in pain for eternity
actually I disproved myself looking through her media.

RARE VIDEO!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/BluskyeAllison/status/1375139869970857985

with her lovely dog when it died. notice no ghouls trolled her about it because, well, they don't feel the need to criticise these people unless they're saying horrible things about transgender people
https://twitter.com/BluskyeAllison/status/1326430516787228673

I don't know whether its laziness she uses that one bar picture or calculated brand building. like, she IS a birdy rose art work.

Jockice

Quote from: Gambrinus on August 07, 2021, 09:58:56 PM
It's not quite at the same level but I had to delete my Twitter account because I was spending far,far too much time arguing with the utter dregs of humanity.

I then had to block twitter.com on my phone because I was still spending far too much time in the browser scrolling through old accounts I used to follow and getting OUTRAGED on their behalf.

And I never even signed up to it until 2014 and didn't have more then about 150 followers at most. God knows how I'd have been if I'd been on it since day 1, with celebrity, and a million followers.

He needs some kind of Internet Addiction treatment, if such a thing exists.

I'm on Twitter but have no desire to enter arguments there. So apart from the odd like and sarky comment I stay out of the political stuff. Although there are some people on there who I think it's insulting to describe them as the dregs of society. That's insulting to the dregs of society.

Facebook's a different matter though. I post on there quite often and am quite insulting to a lot of public figures. In a jokey way but a lot of the time I mean it. Contrary to the way I come across in public (shy, slightly fey.  A nice bloke) I'm an extremely angry person and it (and here to a certain extent) helps me get rid of my frustration.

But even on there (and here, apart from on one occasion) I don't usually get into rows. If someone doesn't like something I post I tell them they can post anything they want on their own page and even if I find it personally offensive I won't complain, so I can post whatever I want on mine. It usually works, even though I have friends with all sort of views on all sorts of subjects. I've never understood the whole 'I'm only going to be friends with people I know and who have the same opinions as me' bit  I even have one who follows Linehan. I know her in real life too. Haven't seen her in real life for a couple of years but next time I do it's unlikely the subject will come up, unless she mentions it.

And apart from obvious trolls/con artists I've only ever blocked two people. Both Brexit fanatics. One - who was transgender! - would comment on even the jokiest mention of it with a 500-word essay on why it was a good thing. I asked her several times not to do this but she persisted until someone else (who happens to be quite severely disabled) told her she was talking shite and she threatened to beat him up.  Final straw time. The other was just a general arsehole who thought it was okay to insult me and other friends on the grounds that I was apparently once rude to someone in a pub in the mid 90s.

I do occasionally worry that the things I say on Facebook could affect my future job prospects or whatever, as I post everything in public under my own name. It would be very easy to do a Jared O'Mara job* on me if I ever became a public figure. But I'm not planning to and luckily (or unluckily however you see it) I'm in my mid-50s, on benefits, have a disability that's not going to get any better and will probably get worse and am quite financially secure, so it's not a great concern of mine. I only do a bit of freelance stuff nowadays and that's usually if I get asked to. Very occasionally I even get paid for it.

(*I'm not sexist, homophobic or racist. But - and I say this as someone who has never met him in my life, despite often moving in the same circles - I don't think he is either. The whole thing was a set-up designed to destroy a genuine outsider who had managed to get into a (very minor) position of power. And it was disgusting because there are plenty of MPs who have done much MUCH worse things than write a few badly-worded posts on obscure websites in their early 20s. I hope those bastards burn in hell. Or preferably get set on fire before they die. Told you I was angry, didn't I?).

Oh yeah, Linehan's a dick. And I don't even like calling him Glinner, because it sounds like a nice friendly nickname of the sort that he doesn't deserve. Like 'Boris.'

idunnosomename

he calls himself glinner a lot. like when his goose sock refers to him. and his exciting new patrons only feature GLINNER'S TWITTER

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Registering to lurk on August 08, 2021, 12:52:28 PM
That's such a coward's way to end an interview. If that statement makes Rachel Cooke "conclusively part ways with Srinivasan and her ideas," then challenge her on it. Don't sneer about it later from behind the safety of your laptop.
I was about to post about this, too. Srinivasan had made quite a few (intellectually defensible imo) generalisations about cohorts of feminists by that point, funny how Cooke's ears didn't prick up until it was a trans exclusionary stripe (which, as PBGC pointed out, Cooke reframes as being about lesbians generally).

Barry Admin

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2021, 01:45:10 PM
he calls himself glinner a lot. like when his goose sock refers to him. and his exciting new patrons only feature GLINNER'S TWITTER

And on the afore-mentioned transphobic Glinner cake, in bigger writing than everything else. It's his Robot Grief Dog.

Jumblegraws

The smell of an office stationary cupboard immediately comes to mind everytime I see that cake. Bleak.

phantom_power

"I disagree, I think it's context specific and evolving in meaning. Goodness me, if 'woman' can be broadened to mean all sorts of things, 'sock puppet' can be broadened beyond its original meaning & that's what's happening."

But isn't that exactly what you are arguing against you mush-brained idiot. You can't use the thing you don't want to happen as a reason to do something. I am against murder and will kill anyone who says otherwise because other people commit murder

idunnosomename

Graham should try using sock puppets so it doesn't end up all over his trousers

SilverFish

A dip into Goose Twitter likees turned up this:

https://twitter.com/twinski/status/1424316875962466304?s=21

Apples and oranges. I don't like A, therefore B is their fault.

canadagoose

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 08, 2021, 01:54:49 PM
The smell of an office stationary cupboard immediately comes to mind everytime I see that cake. Bleak.
Possibly because it looks like a rubber.

canadagoose

Quote from: SilverFish on August 08, 2021, 02:31:15 PM
A dip into Goose Twitter likees turned up this:

https://twitter.com/twinski/status/1424316875962466304?s=21

Apples and oranges. I don't like A, therefore B is their fault.
Just dehumanising us again. Her son is a Normal Person therefore he deserves an MRI and such, but we're not as worthy so we don't deserve to get treatment.

Barry Admin

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2021, 02:18:43 PM
Graham should try using sock puppets so it doesn't end up all over his trousers

Oh... he's... took off a sock,
He's took off a sock,
He plans to spare his trousers,
No more stains from his cock.

He's turned off replies,
He's turned off replies,
People keep on mentioning,
The goo on his thighs.

Oh no, what if Helen asks why he looks like he's just come from a sex crime?

He's...

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on August 08, 2021, 01:43:02 PM

And apart from obvious trolls/con artists I've only ever blocked two people. Both Brexit fanatics. One - who was transgender! - would comment on even the jokiest mention of it with a 500-word essay on why it was a good thing. I asked her several times not to do this but she persisted until someone else (who happens to be quite severely disabled) told her she was talking shite and she threatened to beat him up.  Final straw time.

Talking of socks, this person had one. it was a French bloke who would only ever appear to take her side in arguments she'd started. It was so obvious that even I was surprised when 'he' sent me a friend request after I'd blocked her. I mean there's being stupid and then there's that...

Jumblegraws

Quote from: canadagoose on August 08, 2021, 02:37:12 PM
Possibly because it looks like a rubber.
It's mainly the text, it makes me think of letraset transfers. That basic, plasticine-looking icing job doesn't help, though.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 08, 2021, 03:50:43 PM
It's mainly the text, it makes me think of letraset transfers. That basic, plasticine-looking icing job doesn't help, though.

To me it looks like a giant wheel of Camembert. But, like, the nasty supermarket kind.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 08, 2021, 12:17:41 AM
Mr Linehan's trans obsession legitimises and fuels his twitter addiction - having a "worthy" excuse to sit on twitter for 20 hours a day probably drives him as much as the criticism of that IT Crowd episode does. I think trans people are basically collateral damage for a guy with some kind of Superman complex.

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 08, 2021, 08:14:51 AM
I think Glinner's tendencies were obvious even before twitter. I can remember him having an absolute meltdown on his blog when people on here rolled their eyes at the first series of the IT Crowd.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2021, 09:45:39 AM
Gamergate made him feel like a hero

Quote from: MoreauVasz on August 08, 2021, 10:07:45 AM
I think his disappearing into Terfdom could well be a product of chasing the high he got from opposing GamerGate.

Quote from: phes on August 08, 2021, 10:44:43 AM
Everything is transactional and woe betide anyone who doesn't repay him

And there we go! He's just a thin-skinned narcissist who demands constant praise and thinks all criticism is ungrateful and unjustified because he's so brilliant and lovely. Trans issues clearly did hit him in a very specific way, I won't say "It could really have been anything", but the root of it is just that he's an awful fucking person.

His "arc" reminds me of Warren Farrell, who's one of the major MRA writers / speakers. He spent the 70s and 80s "defending women", then did an about-face and started screeching about how men are the real victims blah blah blah. What happened? Obviously he has his version of events where he's the victim, but fuck that guy, here's what happened: His time as a "male feminist" was spent doing the absolute bare minimum in exchange for massive amounts of fawning praise. When he was pressured to work on himself and do more activism and less bloviating, he threw a petulant tantrum and stormed off to become a professional misogynist. It wasn't "male feminist sees through the lies", which he desperately wants it to be, because he never cared about feminism in the first place - it was just a bunch of women who told him he was better than other men, and when they stopped, he left.

Graham's basically done his own version of that. Not the exact same thing, but the point is that nobody should buy into him trying to frame it as "The trans people got too demanding and I realised they were a danger", which is the line he's been pushing for the last 18 months. He never cared and never really tried, he just had half a million followers who praised him for attacking people, until one day they differed on who it was alright to attack.

I do think his relationship with sexuality and gender is very contradictory, and his inability (refusal) to address it is why it became such an all-consuming obsession. His Twitter presence was that of a Cuddly Nice Comedy Man who defended women, but then his actual screen work... good God. The trans episode of the IT Crowd has overshadowed how insensitively he handles an awful lot of things. I mean, there's a two-part episode about Jen being roofied by Douglas. The guy who gives him the rohypnol is played by Graham, even! He kept describing the show as "silly" and "surreal", and dismissing all criticism of aspects like this. So he's simultaneously getting praised for being a valuable feminist ally (by pointing out other men are stupider than him... there may have been an ulterior motive, here) while arguing that all the incredibly problematic stuff in his show is a joke and you shouldn't take it seriously. He can't resolve this without either admitting he has unexamined misogyny and homophobia he needs to work on, or admitting the concerns of the people he defends ultimately aren't that important to him. Solution: Join a hate movement with the aesthetics of feminism, where nobody cares how awful you are as long as you're on-message.

Meanwhile,

Quote from: GlinnerAmerica is about to peak. Wi Spa, Star Wars guy, Laurel Hubbard, Chris Chan... and now this.

For reference,

QuoteWi Spa

Hoax that made links between TERFs and the far right really obvious.

QuoteStar Wars guy

Standard Republican bigot who only appeals to people who already agree with him.

QuoteLaurel Hubbard

She didn't win, you fuckwit.

QuoteChris Chan

The entire country isn't rubbernecking at an internet car crash.

Quoteand now this

"This" refers to a trans woman who works for the Democrats getting caught allegedly arranging to have sex with a minor. In which case, this person is fucking terrible and should be punished. It's also literally one person. It only "peaks" people who were already convinced all trans people are paedophiles, which Graham seems to think is a normal thought process because he only talks to other transphobes.

Cold Meat Platter

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on August 08, 2021, 04:15:32 PM
I mean, there's a two-part episode about Jen being roofied by Douglas.
FUCK I did not know that (never watched the IT Crowd)

Quote"This" refers to a trans woman who works for the Democrats getting caught allegedly arranging to have sex with a minor. In which case, this person is fucking terrible and should be punished. It's also literally one person.
Compared to how many cis men who do the same?

stg some of this is projection. "Let's point at this Evil Trans to draw attention away from how we chortle and slaver over some teenage nymphet getting closer and closer to being 'legal'."

wrec

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 08, 2021, 01:45:22 PM
I was about to post about this, too. Srinivasan had made quite a few (intellectually defensible imo) generalisations about cohorts of feminists by that point, funny how Cooke's ears didn't prick up until it was a trans exclusionary stripe (which, as PBGC pointed out, Cooke reframes as being about lesbians generally).

Srinivasan discussing that point on Twitter with Kathleen Stock, who I'm not familiar with but I think is in the GC camp (she has agreed to read Srinivasan's book, but didn't seem to react to her offer to have "a real discussion" about it.

QuoteI'm offering a diagnosis as to why some non-trans lesbians find *trans* people transitioning anathema. The interviewer did misrepresent me in suggesting that I was generalising about all lesbians – obviously not, since most, I think, don't share this feeling of anathema.

QuoteI wasn't trying to offer a general diagnosis of trans-exclusionary feminism. I was responding to the interviewer's admission that she found transition anathema because, while she had hated her body when young, she was (unlike young trans people) required to 'love' it.

Initially thought it was refreshing to see a non-transphobic article in the Guardian but of course they can't even present a supportive perspective without gatekeeping it.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 08, 2021, 04:27:03 PM
FUCK I did not know that (never watched the IT Crowd)

Douglas becomes obsessed with trying to fuck her, so he gets a "love potion" from a wizard (???) played by Graham. He puts it in her drink and it turns out to be rohypnol. Douglas drinks it by accident and tries to force himself Moss and Roy instead.

I can see how someone who thinks everything is a big surreal whimsical cartoon could write that and think it was "just a joke", in the same way I can see how he thought the trans episode was fine, but he completely refused to accept that what he was dealing with might not be entirely zany and harmless, and patronisingly dismissed his critics while simultaneously blasting everyone else for their misogyny to get Male Saviour Points.

retsuza

When he kept going on about how "pronouns are rohypnol" maybe he meant that pronouns are "a potentially hilarious comedy device".

phantom_power

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on August 08, 2021, 04:15:32 PM

"This" refers to a trans woman who works for the Democrats getting caught allegedly arranging to have sex with a minor. In which case, this person is fucking terrible and should be punished. It's also literally one person. It only "peaks" people who were already convinced all trans people are paedophiles, which Graham seems to think is a normal thought process because he only talks to other transphobes.

This sort of shit is only relevant if you can tie the bad thing someone has done with the thing you don't like them for, which they categorically cannot do on a statistical, scientific or sociological level. I don't think anyone is claiming that all trans people are great bunches of lads who never do anything wrong and yet this seems to be a major part of their whole argument.

phes

It's good to see that every single time he posts anything with that goose account he just gets a string of replies telling him to fuck off

phantom_power

I think it shows how unpopular and shit their side is when they have to use all these extreme examples to try and convince people they are in the right. All the talk of penises waving in young girls faces and women's sport being dominated by men in dresses. All things that rarely if ever happen but are emotive to anyone who hasn't really thought it through

chveik

how does he get this insight into the american collective psyche? i think transpeople have already a really shit time as it is in some places there.