Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NEW CONTRAPOINTS - ENVY

Started by Dr Rock, August 07, 2021, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Just finished it

Watched it on the big television

Avoid if you hate fun and whimsy and costume changes

I predict Twitter is already having a good wank over it based on the title and the first thirty seconds

græskar

I've just watched it. It's amazing, honestly, I love how she's honestly saying what she thinks without "threat-modelling" about being cancelled by twitter, as she said she would. If twitter leftists cancel her again over this, then it's just going to be a self-own because she completely exposes them in this video.

MoreauVasz

It's good. Properly thought-provoking.

I can remember reading Nietzsche as a student and struggling with the idea that the Master Morality was any way to live one's life and I certainly didn't (and don't) accept that we all have some kind of innate drive to behave like Warrior aristocrats. To this day, I find it really interesting that the Slave Morality gets explained away as some weird inward form of self-loathing but wanting to fuck, fight, snort, and conquer everything in sight?  Human nature mate.

One of the hurdles I have had to get over in enjoying this phase of NW's output is that so much of her worldview is rooted in the visual. How you are seen, how you relate to other people, how you fit into the group. I can understand why she has that vision as a) a trans woman and b) a professional YouTuber but it also makes sense if you remember what she was like before she transitioned.  She has never not been attractive, articulate, smart, and talented.  You can see why the Master Morality would seem natural to someone like that.

NW is very smart and her worldview is as complex and systematic as you would expect from someone who started out smart and then trained to become even smarter but I must admit that her vision of the world feels way more distant than the stuff the incels come out with. I mean, I don't hate and resent my betters or the people who would reject me but I definitely find it easier to imagine myself as some kind of ugly pond dwelling thing who was never amount to anything than some kind of warrior aristocrat.

bgmnts

Lasted about 20 minutes before getting a bit bored.

It looks nice though.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: bgmnts on August 08, 2021, 12:40:08 PM
Lasted about 20 minutes before getting a bit bored.

Lasted longer than me.

I'm not envious because that woman has good skin. If I had any thoughts it would be a dull fuzz of annoyance at the how very virtuous her post about it was.

I'm not envious about one of the Kardashians having a birthday party and I wasn't allowed one. Because I could have one, if I really wanted to, but I think that would have been a stupid thing to do.

As Jorge Luis Borges said in something something:
Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone.

Does that quote make me sound smart? Please say I'm smart.

chveik

the french revolution is unwoke now :(

fair play for the resentment stuff though, a big leftist youtuber shitting on (a part of) her audience, shame she didn't go the whole way.

lol at talking about 'human nature' just after trying to explain Nietzsche

and before anyone has a go, i'd say it's worth a watch

pigamus

Big fan normally but found this one heavy going

May have been in the wrong mood for it

Dr Rock

I thought it was another winner.

Blumf

Enjoyed it, went all over the place whilst still hanging onto the central topic.

You know she wasn't endorsing the Master Morality, right?

pigamus

thugler

This was very good in terms of arguments/content, if, as is standard now, unnecessarily long. Also I thought, considering it's length it's diagnosis of envy for certain things wasn't always accurate. I didn't see some of her examples as being based in envy at all. The Fyre festival slaggers weren't taking the piss because they wanted to be there, or desired the lives/wealth of the people attending. The Kardashian party thing too. Maybe I didn't get it and need to watch it again but while I agreed with her arguments, the examples didn't seem right.

Oh and the 'good skin' post didn't upset me in the slightest.

One more thing. The costumes/sets and all that, they're nice and look great. But I wouldn't be that bothered if they weren't there, or much cheaper and less fancy. They're so long now that I generally listen to it rather than watch it all anyway. I suppose that's a big part of the appeal for some of her audience though.

Quote from: thugler on August 09, 2021, 02:05:09 PM
The Fyre festival slaggers weren't taking the piss because they wanted to be there, or desired the lives/wealth of the people attending.
c'mon dude they kinda did

thugler

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 09, 2021, 02:14:45 PM
c'mon dude they kinda did

Some of them probably, but very far from all of them. Envy doesn't explain all of it.

bgmnts

Yeah I found that a bit odd. There was one point at the start where she says about Kardashian that if anyone was in her shoes they'd jet off to an island for a birthday party and I was just thinking how wrong that is, at least personally.

thugler

She should have left room for the concept of disapproval for i suppose ideological reasons.

MojoJojo

I only managed about 20 minutes. Biggest problem is I don't understand why I'm supposed to care about that shit. It seemed to be something that would only be of interest to people heavily invested in twitter.

I think the longer videos reflect that she's only making videos for fans now, and even fairly online people who are broadly supportive (like me) are going to be bored.

Dr Rock

MojoJojo

thugler

It's just not about twitter at all. She's just used examples from Twitter because most people, particularly her viewers are terminally online and those super well known examples are easy to recall and understand. It is too long, but give it another go. It does tend to take me a few goes to get through them now.

sevendaughters

1hr 48? I haven't watched beyond 4 seconds and I can tell this is fucking indulgent twaddle.

Chollis

1hr 48!? in this day and age?

sevendaughters

five minutes less than The Conversation to see someone in a wig cast a wry eye on culture, I can do that for free at home in 10 minutes!

RickyHamster

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on August 09, 2021, 09:52:56 PM
Yeah I found that a bit odd. There was one point at the start where she says about Kardashian that if anyone was in her shoes they'd jet off to an island for a birthday party and I was just thinking how wrong that is, at least personally.

Haven't watched it all yet - and obviously will - but felt the comments about Fire Festival and Kardashian were as if all people laughing at it are the same.  Which, obviously, they are not. 

A lot of people, me included, would pay good money (if we had it) not to go to some goddawful thing like either of those things - the problem with it for us is that people are hungry, the earth is dying and "influencers" like the ones we'd like to piss on are being paid in plastic to drive the herd to the edge of the abyss, smirking into their fucking phones.  And they're so fucking dim and self-regarding, they don't even see it.  That's what pisses us off.  That the system is engineered to promote these vacuous cunts as cultural voices in order to continue controlling us, preying on us.

Dr Rock

She later says that the idea that dislike of the rich flaunting it is not always down to envy, often it will be people who just want a fairer world. So don't fret.

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 10, 2021, 08:27:51 AM
Tell me why I should care.
Nobody gives two shits if you care or not.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on August 09, 2021, 09:52:56 PM

and the same week kanye's new album is coming out, very suspicious

MojoJojo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 10, 2021, 01:33:19 PM
Nobody gives two shits if you care or not.

No one cares that no one cares if I care or not.

It's a legitimate criticism that I have watched 15 minutes and I don't have any idea why I'm supposed to be interested. I gather it's in response to some twitter drama, and maybe if I'd followed some of that it might be interesting, but making a two hour video that also needs outside reading isn't a good thing.

I say this as someone who has liked a lot of Contrapoints, but I just don't think the longer videos work. There's not enough content, and swish presentation doesn't make up for that.