Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NEW CONTRAPOINTS - ENVY

Started by Dr Rock, August 07, 2021, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 11, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
"where others would poison, you dismember, Oh, no stop messing about"

He did a reading of Monkey/A Journey to the West you know.

Really must get around to listening to it sometime.

imitationleather

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 11, 2021, 05:42:05 PM
Me with a time machine: paying Kenneth Williams bitcoins to record Ecce Homo as an audio book.

Can't we recreate anyone's voice now with AI? There's a woman who has motor neurone disease that had hers recreated from just one episode of The Chase that she appeared on.

They should have done that instead of hiring someone else to narrate the new series of Forensic Files IMO.

What do you mean this is off topic?

pigamus

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 11, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
"where others would poison, you dismember" in that voice cmon.

But that sounds like a Morrissey lyric so it can't be that much of a stretch

Video Game Fan 2000

Orson Welles wine commercial except its the entire text of Das Kapital.

MMMMhhharrr...the wealth of thesesocieties has always been madeup of an immenseheapofcommoddaditties...

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 11, 2021, 05:49:34 PM
He did a reading of Monkey/A Journey to the West you know.

I didn't know! I gotta hear this.

Norton Canes

Five minutes in just commentary on Twitter posts thanks bye

All Surrogate

If anyone's thinking of reading Nietzsche for the first time, I would generally recommend Human, All Too Human, as I think it's fairly 'approachable'.

Famous Mortimer

I've gotten more from this thread than I have from that movie-length video.

chveik

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 11, 2021, 05:17:06 PMThe bit at the end where she compares talking about the political utopia after the revolution to the belief in an afterlife got to me.

revolutionary politics is way more focused on our material future, whether it's the environmental collapse, the division of labour, the fate of animals etc. than electoralism, which is filled with vague platitudes that tend to just delay when we'll have to face the inevitable.

edit: VGF2000 expressed that argument much better

i think we're far from being submerged by calls to revolution, a lot of people still don't see that Bernie and Corbyn's losses were structural, supposedly we just need to wait for a new left-wing figure that would resolve the contradictions they were confronted to, to me this sounds more like a supernatural belief

Video Game Fan 2000

I'll add that in the unlikely event that climate catastrophe is averted or warming ameliorated over the next decade it will because the USA or Western Europe has funded (and deregulated) industries to the point where something like carbon capture or battery storage becomes efficent enough to merit private investment on the scale of tens of billions. This is one of our greatest hopes to avert calamity.

We'll be sold this as the triumph of liberal capitalism, progressivism and incremental reform. But it won't be: what it is the appropriation of revolutionary thinking by private hands. It will be a revolution of science and economics.

If you think about revolutionary thought in art and science, it usually just means to rationally re-engage with the material at hand, or to look at what is supposedly inert with some fresh set of concepts that see inert forms as dynamic or open to potential change. There is nothing scary or inherently wrong about this, there is no covert social danger, in fact its invariably a good thing. The same is true for politics - there is nothing, absolute nothing, inherently bad about collectively re-engaging with the material basis of things and trying find something vibrant in the supposedly inert. When liberal democratic states make their pleas for social reform against revolutionary politics what they're usually doing is trying to make us ignore the fact that revolutions happen all the time, just not usually in our favour. Revolutions are everywhere but its only the collective ones that are spoken about as if they're all fascist states waiting to happen.

Quote from: All Surrogate on August 11, 2021, 06:07:21 PM
If anyone's thinking of reading Nietzsche for the first time, I would generally recommend Human, All Too Human, as I think it's fairly 'approachable'.

Good call! Its a very loveable book which feels strange to say about anything he wrote. edit: although it does have the aphorism that says loving something is the best way to learn about it so I suppose thats apt

PlanktonSideburns

Comparing Contrapoints to Rush is an absolutely sick burn!

I really enjoyed this, thought she was talking about stuff rather than having absolute opinions on her own, so didn't bother me her talking about Fred and his ideas I'm not arsed about

But then I'm a roofer so what the fuck do I know

bgmnts

Very early Rush!

Leave Rush alone please please please.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on August 11, 2021, 07:23:32 PM
Very early Rush!

Rush fans say this but Tom Sawyer is off Moving Pictures.

Honestly though it wouldn't be funny if they weren't in on the joke of being the band who wrote Rand songs without realising the political context and had to spend interviews going Oh God No We Just Liked Tall Buildings for decades. Cultural climes of 2021 make a bunch of dorks who think The Fountainhead was more magical than Tolkein and C S Lewis absolutely adorable by comparison to what counts as rightwing culture today.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on August 11, 2021, 07:23:32 PM
Very early Rush!

Leave Rush alone please please please.

Come's from a place of love for their fun songs with awful, abominable lyrics

PlanktonSideburns

Imagine if Rush made a song about Contrapoints

NATALIE WYNN IS A WOOOOMAN
MAKING VIDEOS O-ON THE INTERNET
VIDEOS ABOUT AESTHETICS AND PHILOSOPHY YEA
HER LATEST ONE IS THE BEST YET
(GUITARSOLO)

Video Game Fan 2000

Probably well covered elsewhere here but Geddy Lee once said Stewart Lee's "like on Top Gear" bit was one of the funniest things he'd ever seen. Love thinking about a guy with that opinion having to belt out "Anthem" to hundreds of boomer dads on tour.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 11, 2021, 08:24:23 PM
Imagine if Rush made a song about Contrapoints

NATALIE WYNN IS A WOOOOMAN
MAKING VIDEOS O-ON THE INTERNET
VIDEOS ABOUT AESTHETICS AND PHILOSOPHY YEA
HER LATEST ONE IS THE BEST YET
(GUITARSOLO)

AHHH I WENT INTO A CAVE OF ICE
I SAW A STRANGE DEVICE
THE PRIEST SAID I NEVER SHOULD TOUCH
BUT I TOUCHED IT AL THE SAME
I DIDNT WANT TO PLAY THEIR GAAAME
AND IT BROADCAST MY IMAGE AROUND THE WOORRLD

[voice up six octaves, sounds like silence and beeps to the over-65s in the audience] I MADE THE ELDERS REALLY MAD
AND SAID JORDAN PETERSON WAS BAAAADD

[drum solo for 25 minutes and the rest of the band go get rotisserie chicken from the roasters right off the side of the stage]

Video Game Fan 2000

Geddy Lee flipping through a copy of Dianetics looking for a word that rhymes with "oestradiol". The one thing we didn't want to happen. 

bgmnts

If there's one thing I envy, it's people who's favourite musicians didnt start out as ignorant libertarian gimps.

No glorious 20 minute guitar solos or beautifully complicated time signatures can remove that stink.

pigamus

I've never even heard of them I don't think. Are they like Kiss?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 11, 2021, 08:28:06 PM
AHHH I WENT INTO A CAVE OF ICE
I SAW A STRANGE DEVICE
THE PRIEST SAID I NEVER SHOULD TOUCH
BUT I TOUCHED IT AL THE SAME
I DIDNT WANT TO PLAY THEIR GAAAME
AND IT BROADCAST MY IMAGE AROUND THE WOORRLD

[voice up six octaves, sounds like silence and beeps to the over-65s in the audience] I MADE THE ELDERS REALLY MAD
AND SAID JORDAN PETERSON WAS BAAAADD

[drum solo for 25 minutes and the rest of the band go get rotisserie chicken from the roasters right off the side of the stage]

Howling

Let's go do this over in hsart

Video Game Fan 2000

Apollonian Rush fans "sorry about the lyrics but the drummer is very technically skilled" v Dionysian Fall fans "he didn't mean the things he specifically said he meant, anyway I just like that sounds so shit."

Video Game Fan 2000

Zarathustra smacked the lion in the face with his cock "fool! you have to listen to the Peel session because its even worse"
and the crowd looked upon what Zarathustra had done and agreed that was incomprehensible that Motown never signed the Fall

PlanktonSideburns

Loving where this thread has gone

Video Game Fan 2000

We'll known if Contra reads CaB if the next video is called MANCHESTER and she's in a fetching M&S ensemble drinking newkie out of a chipped Andy Capp mug. Two hours and fifteen minutes.

bgmnts

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 11, 2021, 08:48:40 PM
Apollonian Rush fans "sorry about the lyrics but the drummer is very technically skilled" v Dionysian Fall fans "he didn't mean the things he specifically said he meant, anyway I just like that sounds so shit."

I think I follow the middle path on that one. Peart tried his best to distance himself from his problematic views early. Thank fuck they made their stuff before twitter or else I wouldnt be able to enjoy their amazing music.

Being a very left wing prog rock fan and gamer might be the worst existence possible.

PlanktonSideburns

Don't mind if bands lyrics are about purest evil, just need a level of subtext above garth mehrengi level.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on August 11, 2021, 09:24:24 PM
Being a very left wing prog rock fan and gamer might be the worst existence possible.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 11, 2021, 09:26:21 PM
Don't mind if bands lyrics are about purest evil, just need a level of subtext above garth mehrengi level.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

evilcommiedictator

Fatalistic Rush fans: The Trees is about inevitability, it was going to happen eventually
Idealistic Rush fans: The Trees is about how the right will always bring in people to cut down revolutions
Me: *strums air guitar madly whilst being pissed off that this is about a "don't bother trying, kids" attitude*

Retinend

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 11, 2021, 08:55:57 PM
Loving where this thread has gone

Yeah, woo Rush. To get back on topic, what is the connotation of this phrase, "crabs in a bucket"? I'd like to know, but even I don't want to watch the video all over again already just to find out.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 11, 2021, 04:56:32 PM
With the political realignment going on right now, its interesting how overtly libertarian analogies ("cutting down the tall trees", "crabs in a bucket") are redistributing from the right to the liberal-social justice district of the political compass, there isn't a cohesive political ideology that reflects those values anymore and californian ideology has degenerated into either diluted Reaganism with pride flags or overt techno-feudalism.

and what is the "Californian ideology"? You mean the liberalism of Silicon Valley? "Overt techno-feudalism" sounds like "Neo-Reaction", but you can't mean that.