Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old 2021

Started by TrenterPercenter, August 08, 2021, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Desperate to not spend the whole weekend working decided to go to the cinema for a late film.  There is nothing good out so opt for a film which we all knew was going to be bad but meh how bad can it be.

Spoiler alert
very bad.  So M Night Shyamalan's turn to write the theme toon, direct the theme toon, star in the theme toon which is great as the script is shite, the direction a mess and he is the worse actor in it - a triple threat in the mould of diabetes, hypertension and COPD.

Quite amazingly the concept is good; a beach that makes you age, from a seemingly daft but in film terms plausibly vague "scientific" reason.  It's good; there is nothing more scary and philosophically unnerving than ageing; and they is something wonderfully horrific and anxiety inducing in thinking about your internal age clock ticking at such a rate you'd be dead in 24 hrs  Sadly that is where M Night comes in to destroy all of that.  It's the actors I feel sorry for; they are all actually pretty decent but lumbered with a script that flips between idiot statements and sagacious Brian-Coxisms; they end up feeling like a bunch of hostages acquired at gun point that have been forced to act in M Nights sandpit. 

Then there is the direction; the film is basically cut lots of times to reveal the stark ageing process which comes across as exactly as the problem they were trying to mask; that they can't age the people very well; the kids age quickly (of course because their cells are evolving quickly) but the middle aged people age also, only they don't.  You'd think they would have some fancy CGI but nope they just take makeup off and try and throw in a few wrinkles.  The cuts then start to appear as if M Night is just trying to get you to forget what people looked like before.  He also needed someone to tell him that one of the clearest and commonly known signs of ageing (that is quite cheap and easy to do) is grey hair.

It just doesn't seem to work and it then it gets a stapled on ending; which  because it has been so poorly grounded and linked into the story (though obvious) comes across as a "fuck it, got bored" ending just to put the brain fart to bed.

Shame as there is something good here that perhaps another director could rework perhaps.  Anyway bad. Even if just for the shameless and needless self cameo that could have given another actor a role.
[close]

2/5

zomgmouse

TrenterPercenter

Yes saw this but that is about the "trailer" for some reason and not the film.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 08, 2021, 12:39:18 AM
Fucked this up haven't I

Wanted to change my score to 1/5 after sleeping on it

Chedney Honks

Not much to add but cheers. We're looking to go and watch basically anything at the pictures so were gonna settle on this but I purposefully spoiled it for myself on the back of this thread to prevent the wasted visit.

Old Nehamkin

I enjoyed it. It's a bit daft and takes some pretty wild swings that don't all quite hit, but it's basically a fun, solid Twilight Zone story with a good cast and nice visuals. I found it quite moving towards the end.

non capisco

I quite enjoyed it despite knowing full well it was a hysterically paced and poorly directed pile of old tod. When the whole cinema burst out laughing when
Spoiler alert
the two kids come out of the tent and one of them's suddenly heavily pregnant
[close]
and the guy behind me shouted "AHAHAHAHA, FUCK RIGHT OFF!" it was as nice a reminder of how much I've missed the communal cinema experience as any I've had since they reopened.

olliebean

SteveDave

Man alive. What a piece of shit. The last three 2021 films I've watched have been pure 0/5 (or abandoned in the case of "Annette"). I weep for the future.

Dusty Substance

Old is really bloody good. I loved it.

Finally got round to watching this and TP nailed it in his OP.

Quote from: non capisco on August 08, 2021, 11:15:54 PM
the two kids come out of the tent and one of them's suddenly heavily pregnant and the guy behind me shouted "AHAHAHAHA, FUCK RIGHT OFF!"

I can imagine.

I liked the concept and recognised the Asian guy from Lost, it was all a bit Lost really.

Overall a bit shit, but I can't put my finger on why - maybe the acting (I thought it was pretty bad) or perhaps the actors didn't gel.

C_Larence

I watched it the other day too and I think the main issue was the dialogue. When, in the first 30 seconds, the Mum said to her Daughter "you have a lovely singing voice, I can't wait to hear it when you're older" I knew I was in for a bad time.

Noodle Lizard

It's one of the worst films I've ever seen. Staggeringly incompetent in every aspect. The acting and dialogue was so bad at the start, along with some very The Room-esque bits of repeated dialogue (everyone constantly stating their profession), that I assumed there must be a subversion coming, but there wasn't. It's astonishing to think the person who made The Sixth Sense could've possibly turned out something this inept.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: C_Larence on October 21, 2021, 09:07:47 AM
I watched it the other day too and I think the main issue was the dialogue. When, in the first 30 seconds, the Mum said to her Daughter "you have a lovely singing voice, I can't wait to hear it when you're older" I knew I was in for a bad time.

That's such a weird thing to say

Dusty Substance

Quote from: non capisco on August 08, 2021, 11:15:54 PMthe guy behind me shouted "AHAHAHAHA, FUCK RIGHT OFF!"

The ignorant cunt who shouted that is the exact reason why I despise going to the cinema these days.

Custard

Quite gutted you all say this is shit, as I quite like the sound of the premise, in a daft Twilight Zone sorta way. Maybe I'll just get the graphic novel instead

M Night was just starting to do some fairly decent stuff again, too. At this point his bad films outweigh his good. Oof

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 24, 2021, 09:36:48 AM
Quite gutted you all say this is shit, as I quite like the sound of the premise, in a daft Twilight Zone sorta way. Maybe I'll just get the graphic novel instead

M Night was just starting to do some fairly decent stuff again, too. At this point his bad films outweigh his good. Oof

The disparity between his good/passable films and his honkers is so vast that it almost makes me wonder if he had some serious help with the former - all the way from the script stage to post-production. It's not just that this film has a bad story/script, virtually everything about it borders on incompetent. It's often quite funny for that reason, so it's not exactly boring I suppose.

The Twilight Zone comparisons are apt, but they'd have managed to do it better in 24 minutes.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 24, 2021, 09:36:48 AM

Ignore the naysayers on this one - Old is ace.