Author Topic: Ghosts series 3  (Read 4777 times)

Butchers Blind

• Who blons a dumb de now?
Ghosts series 3
« on: August 09, 2021, 11:27:27 AM »
Starts tonight on BBC1 with the entire series up on the iplayer after.

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
Re: Ghosts series 3
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »
Fantastic! This show's been an unexpected joy.

It makes sense given the creative team, but it does have the feeling of Horrible Histories for adults.

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 12:02:24 PM »
It makes sense given the creative team, but it does have the feeling of Horrible Histories for adults.

Nothing wrong with that, looking forward to it too.

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 12:03:50 PM »
Nothing wrong with that, looking forward to it too.

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a diss. Horrible Histories was (when the original cast was involved) brilliant. Better than many sitcoms for adults. As is their film, Will, about a young William Shakespeare.

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a diss. Horrible Histories was (when the original cast was involved) brilliant. Better than many sitcoms for adults. As is their film, Will, about a young William Shakespeare.

I didn't take it as a diss 🙂

Will look out for the film, Will - I didn't know about that.

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »
According to the RT preview, Kitty                  gets a backstory episode. Laurence Rickard promises it will "break your heart". Hope that's just misdirection and she turns out to be a mass murderer.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »
Massively excited for this in the frajer household too, both Series 1 and 2 (and the lovely "family family family" Christmas special) are wonderful things.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »
According to the RT preview, Kitty                  gets a backstory episode. Laurence Rickard promises it will "break your heart".

Every time I'm online I'm bombarded by clickbait telling me to click on this to see a series of pictures, the last one of which will break my heart.  My heart remains unbroken.  I'm looking forward to the backstory episode; maybe this will be the first time the heartbreak promise actually comes true.

Really loved both of the other series, hope this one's just as good.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »

Yonderland was brilliant too.

The Lurker

• Your whole life has led up to you reading this
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 04:40:12 PM »
It'll have to be an iPlayer job for me but really looking forward to this. Very well written show with some very heartwarming moments too

Twit 2

• Unutterable anguish
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 08:29:29 PM »
I watched the 1st 2 series and really liked it. My daughter (10) loves it as well. Hope they keep the standard up.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 09:17:35 PM »
A very good episode. My daughter (also 10) was in hysterics.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 09:22:21 PM »
Yeah an absolute cracker. Always a pleasure to have a larger portion of Laurence Rickard.

Going to at least try and pace out the full series on iPlayer but it won’t happen.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 09:24:35 PM »
It is "an" ugly language!

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 11:12:05 PM »
It's still got it. I like the little in-jokes as well like the newly dead Sir Humphrey getting frightened by Robin, both played by Laurence Rickard.

I haven't seen the Shakespeare film, but I've got it to watch. One random line I skipped to was "The Spanish are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers." which is, of course, a play on a line by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars film.

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 11:15:37 PM »
Bill is great. Quite often in our house either the kids or me will say, "Gazpacho. It's a cold soup."

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 11:16:13 PM »
I think I missed the christmas special - can I just watch S3 or is it relevant to the plot

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 11:19:29 PM »
It's still got it. I like the little in-jokes as well like the newly dead Sir Humphrey getting frightened by Robin, both played by Laurence Rickard.

I haven't seen the Shakespeare film, but I've got it to watch. One random line I skipped to was "The Spanish are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers." which is, of course, a play on a line by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars film.

I thiiiink it's on Prime. I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure I saw it on one of the streaming services for free.

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
I think I missed the christmas special - can I just watch S3 or is it relevant to the plot

Hard to say, of course, whether or not it was relevant to the plot (is there even a plot, as such?) - but it *seemed* to be just a regular episode, but set at Christmas. From memory, it focussed on Julian, the MP one. I want to say it had a vague element of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, but this might not be correct.

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »

Pretty much standalone, IIRC.

Good first episode, wouldn't say it was absolutely top-loaded with throwaway laughs but it reminds me of Detectorists in that the characters are so well drawn, you constantly chuckle at their nuances. 

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 10:51:31 AM »

Good first episode, wouldn't say it was absolutely top-loaded with throwaway laughs but it reminds me of Detectorists in that the characters are so well drawn, you constantly chuckle at their nuances.

I never thought to compare it to Detectorists but that's a good comparison. A gentle comedy with characters whose company you enjoy.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 10:58:24 PM »
I thiiiink it's on Prime. I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure I saw it on one of the streaming services for free.

Set to be shown on CBBC on Saturday morning, and on iPlayer after that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08lvcg1

Mobius

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 11:24:00 PM »

Cheers guys - looking forward to downloading this then! Really enjoyed the first 2 series

I checked out Yonderland last night, in advance of Ghosts and unfortunately didn't think much of it although it was only the first episode and it's a weird show, so perhaps I'll give it more time.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 11:58:23 PM »
Cheers guys - looking forward to downloading this then! Really enjoyed the first 2 series

I checked out Yonderland last night, in advance of Ghosts and unfortunately didn't think much of it although it was only the first episode and it's a weird show, so perhaps I'll give it more time.

I'd try another couple of Yonderland; it probably isn't a great first episode because there's quite a lot to establish, rather than just being able to get on with the story. 

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 12:02:29 AM »
I binged Ghosts series 3 and it was utterly lovely. A few lump in the throat moments.

Mobius

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 12:42:48 AM »
it probably isn't a great first episode because there's quite a lot to establish

Yeah that's what I figured, a lot of fantasy stuff and world building early on. The Dolmio doll looking thing didn't help.

But I love the Horrible History lot so I'm sure it's a good show and just needs a bit more time.

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
I like this although I smile during it rather than laughing. Not a bad state of affairs but it's not particularly hilarious.

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
It's not hilarious, but it is consistent on smiles and chuckles.

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 11:43:19 PM »
Episode four spoiler:

This is being shown at 8.30 these days, so I’m amazed they left the (albeit subtle) shot of Humphrey’s cum face/moan in. Unless I completely misread that gag.

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2021, 04:30:06 PM »
Jim Howick dancing - smiles all round here.

Tags: