Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts series 3

Started by Butchers Blind, August 09, 2021, 11:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Starts tonight on BBC1 with the entire series up on the iplayer after.

dead-ced-dead

Fantastic! This show's been an unexpected joy.

It makes sense given the creative team, but it does have the feeling of Horrible Histories for adults.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 09, 2021, 11:36:36 AM
It makes sense given the creative team, but it does have the feeling of Horrible Histories for adults.

Nothing wrong with that, looking forward to it too.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 09, 2021, 12:02:24 PM
Nothing wrong with that, looking forward to it too.

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a diss. Horrible Histories was (when the original cast was involved) brilliant. Better than many sitcoms for adults. As is their film, Will, about a young William Shakespeare.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 09, 2021, 12:03:50 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a diss. Horrible Histories was (when the original cast was involved) brilliant. Better than many sitcoms for adults. As is their film, Will, about a young William Shakespeare.

I didn't take it as a diss 🙂

Will look out for the film, Will - I didn't know about that.

Norton Canes

According to the RT preview,
Spoiler alert
Kitty               
[close]
gets a backstory episode. Laurence Rickard promises it will
Spoiler alert
"break your heart"
[close]
. Hope that's just misdirection and
Spoiler alert
she turns out to be a mass murderer
[close]

frajer

Massively excited for this in the frajer household too, both Series 1 and 2 (and the lovely "family family family" Christmas special) are wonderful things.

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 09, 2021, 12:44:26 PM
According to the RT preview,
Spoiler alert
Kitty               
[close]
gets a backstory episode. Laurence Rickard promises it will
Spoiler alert
"break your heart"
[close]

Every time I'm online I'm bombarded by clickbait telling me to click on this to see a series of pictures, the last one of which will
Spoiler alert
break my heart
[close]
.  My
Spoiler alert
heart
[close]
remains
Spoiler alert
unbroken
[close]
.  I'm looking forward to the backstory episode; maybe this will be the first time the
Spoiler alert
heartbreak
[close]
promise actually comes true.

Really loved both of the other series, hope this one's just as good.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 09, 2021, 12:03:50 PM

Yonderland was brilliant too.

The Lurker

It'll have to be an iPlayer job for me but really looking forward to this. Very well written show with some very heartwarming moments too

Twit 2

I watched the 1st 2 series and really liked it. My daughter (10) loves it as well. Hope they keep the standard up.

kalowski

A very good episode. My daughter (also 10) was in hysterics.

frajer

Yeah an absolute cracker. Always a pleasure to have a larger portion of Laurence Rickard.

Going to at least try and pace out the full series on iPlayer but it won't happen.

kalowski

It is "an" ugly language!

Alberon

It's still got it. I like the little in-jokes as well like the newly dead Sir Humphrey getting frightened by Robin, both played by Laurence Rickard.

I haven't seen the Shakespeare film, but I've got it to watch. One random line I skipped to was "The Spanish are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers." which is, of course, a play on a line by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars film.

kalowski

Bill is great. Quite often in our house either the kids or me will say, "Gazpacho. It's a cold soup."

Mobius

I think I missed the christmas special - can I just watch S3 or is it relevant to the plot

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Alberon on August 09, 2021, 11:12:05 PM
It's still got it. I like the little in-jokes as well like the newly dead Sir Humphrey getting frightened by Robin, both played by Laurence Rickard.

I haven't seen the Shakespeare film, but I've got it to watch. One random line I skipped to was "The Spanish are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers." which is, of course, a play on a line by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars film.

I thiiiink it's on Prime. I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure I saw it on one of the streaming services for free.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mobius on August 09, 2021, 11:16:13 PM
I think I missed the christmas special - can I just watch S3 or is it relevant to the plot

Hard to say, of course, whether or not it was relevant to the plot (is there even a plot, as such?) - but it *seemed* to be just a regular episode, but set at Christmas. From memory, it focussed on Julian, the MP one. I want to say it had a vague element of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, but this might not be correct.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Mobius on August 09, 2021, 11:16:13 PM

Pretty much standalone, IIRC.

Good first episode, wouldn't say it was absolutely top-loaded with throwaway laughs but it reminds me of Detectorists in that the characters are so well drawn, you constantly chuckle at their nuances. 

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 10, 2021, 10:06:29 AM

Good first episode, wouldn't say it was absolutely top-loaded with throwaway laughs but it reminds me of Detectorists in that the characters are so well drawn, you constantly chuckle at their nuances.

I never thought to compare it to Detectorists but that's a good comparison. A gentle comedy with characters whose company you enjoy.

Mark X

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 09, 2021, 11:19:29 PM
I thiiiink it's on Prime. I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure I saw it on one of the streaming services for free.

Set to be shown on CBBC on Saturday morning, and on iPlayer after that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08lvcg1

Mobius

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 10, 2021, 10:06:29 AM

Cheers guys - looking forward to downloading this then! Really enjoyed the first 2 series

I checked out Yonderland last night, in advance of Ghosts and unfortunately didn't think much of it although it was only the first episode and it's a weird show, so perhaps I'll give it more time.

Quote from: Mobius on August 10, 2021, 11:24:00 PM
Cheers guys - looking forward to downloading this then! Really enjoyed the first 2 series

I checked out Yonderland last night, in advance of Ghosts and unfortunately didn't think much of it although it was only the first episode and it's a weird show, so perhaps I'll give it more time.

I'd try another couple of Yonderland; it probably isn't a great first episode because there's quite a lot to establish, rather than just being able to get on with the story. 

dead-ced-dead

I binged Ghosts series 3 and it was utterly lovely. A few lump in the throat moments.

Mobius

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 10, 2021, 11:58:23 PM
it probably isn't a great first episode because there's quite a lot to establish

Yeah that's what I figured, a lot of fantasy stuff and world building early on. The Dolmio doll looking thing didn't help.

But I love the Horrible History lot so I'm sure it's a good show and just needs a bit more time.

holyzombiejesus

I like this although I smile during it rather than laughing. Not a bad state of affairs but it's not particularly hilarious.

dead-ced-dead

It's not hilarious, but it is consistent on smiles and chuckles.

Episode four spoiler:

Spoiler alert
This is being shown at 8.30 these days, so I'm amazed they left the (albeit subtle) shot of Humphrey's cum face/moan in. Unless I completely misread that gag.
[close]

Jim Howick dancing - smiles all round here.