Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts series 3

Started by Butchers Blind, August 09, 2021, 11:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

this should have been the show's theme tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5YHqWqhFkU&t=56s

can't you just picture it?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 12, 2021, 08:25:21 PM
American remake incoming

I hope the writers of the original get a plumb executive producer credit, at the very least.

Alberon

From the Telegraph a couple of weeks back

QuoteThere's even an American version. The team were involved "from an early creative place" but thereafter, Howick says, "we've purposefully tried to keep it at arms' length".

"We're Executive Producers," clarifies Howe-Douglas, "but we've left them to do their thing really because I think that's only fair. They know their audience and they know what they're doing."

And for the ghostwriters themselves, has Ghosts-goes-Stateside been financially beneficial? "Not yet!" chirps Howick. "Not until it wins an Emmy! And there are six of us, and we've all got agents, and we've got to pay tax! But it could do, certainly."

Norton Canes

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2021, 11:15:37 PM
Bill is great. Quite often in our house either the kids or me will say, "Gazpacho. It's a cold soup."

Just watched it.
Spoiler alert
"Up your bum"
[close]
has completely ruined Robin for me <smiley emoji thing> 

Johnny Yesno

That was a good first episode. The 'That's the spirit!' line was kind of predictable but so in keeping with the character and delivered so well by Mathew Baynton that I laughed anyway. Sometimes, the humour's all in the, er, execution.

Quote from: Mark X on August 10, 2021, 10:58:24 PM
Set to be shown on CBBC on Saturday morning, and on iPlayer after that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08lvcg1

Thanks for the headsup. Looking forward to this.

Icehaven

Just finished and enjoyed the whole series, although could have done without the
Spoiler alert
sister storyline
[close]
. It was blindingly obvious where it was going, didn't make much sense
Spoiler alert
(in a series about ghosts it says a lot that the least believable thing was that an heiress wouldn't be highly suspicious of someone turning up claiming to be a long lost relative with no evidence other than one photo)
[close]
but it didn't detract from it too much. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing how
Spoiler alert
Humphrey lost his head.
[close]

H-O-W-L

Watched Bill because of this thread and it was fucking hilarious.

Quote from: icehaven on August 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM
Just finished and enjoyed the whole series, although could have done without the
Spoiler alert
sister storyline
[close]
. It was blindingly obvious where it was going, didn't make much sense
Spoiler alert
(in a series about ghosts it says a lot that the least believable thing was that an heiress wouldn't be highly suspicious of someone turning up claiming to be a long lost relative with no evidence other than one photo)
[close]
but it didn't detract from it too much.

I think it was believable (well, ish) because
Spoiler alert
Alison wanted to believe she had a sister, which clouded her judgment. And she was suspicious for a bit before Lucy cleared off and didn't reply to her messages
[close]
. I don't think it dominated the series anyway, and it was all worth it for the payoff of
Spoiler alert
the poet one dropkicking Humphrey's head at Alison driving away in the car
[close]

Anyway, I loved the whole series and regret bingeing it all in two sittings. So many highlights, but
Spoiler alert
Julian messing with Mike's computer
[close]
was my favourite bit.

I missed the plague ghosts though. I'm guessing they might not have been able to film those bits due to Covid?

I'm not sure where it can go from here without it maybe going a bit stale, but I expect they have plans for a fourth series given that we haven't explored all of the ghosts' deaths yet.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 15, 2021, 12:50:29 PM

Isn't it wonderful? So very funny.

Johnny Yesno

I watched Bill last night too and very much enjoyed it. I've got so used to Ben Willbond being The Captain in Ghosts that I'd forgotten what a range he has. Thanks again for the headsup.

gilbertharding

Second episode last night. Loved the
Spoiler alert
chair gag
[close]

kalowski

Yes, it's such a good show. I remember a few people saying that it wouldn't work as the 8.30 timeslot would affect content. Well it's just delightful. Pat and Kitty dancing was fantastic and I love Ben Willbond's Captain.

Magnum Valentino

Watched this on my wife's insistence and now we're back at series 1. Anyone else notice that Alison is a lot funnier in the earlier episodes. Seems like a very different character in series 3, a little mopier, more of a straight woman than a comedy character.

Also the plots in series 1 are a lot more situational whereas series 3 seems character driven. Mightn't have noticed if I'd watched it in the right order.

Captain Z

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 17, 2021, 10:56:07 AM
Second episode last night. Loved the
Spoiler alert
chair gag
[close]

What was this? Must have completely passed me by.

kalowski

Quote from: Captain Z on August 17, 2021, 11:57:13 AM
What was this? Must have completely passed me by.
Spoiler alert
Julian was passing through solid matter, but when he sat down it worked. Thomas then said something like, "I know...it doesn't make sense." I imagine as a response to people pointing out the inconsistency. Was very funny.
[close]

gilbertharding

Yes - lovely bit of speaking to the audience without breaking the fourth wall (which they'd be able to walk through anyway because they're ghosts).

Robin counting Julian's attempts to break out, also very good. Obviously Robin is the best ghost.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 15, 2021, 12:50:29 PM

Funny seeing Jamie Demetriou in a non-speaking role in this.

markburgle

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 15, 2021, 07:27:57 PM
I'm not sure where it can go from here without it maybe going a bit stale, but I expect they have plans for a fourth series given that we haven't explored all of the ghosts' deaths yet.

Yeah my main gripe is that the stuff with the ghosts is what I'm really in it for - their backstories, plus exploring the mechanics of why only some people become ghosts, what it takes to get "sucked off" etc - and I wish they didn't ration that stuff out so much. The present-day stuff is good but I could have a lot less of it

Magnum Valentino

No new ghosts either, and it was odd introducing the concept that previous ghosts have been and gone (wasting Bridget Christie a bit).

More lore!

When was Bridget Christie in it?! I must've completely missed that.

Magnum Valentino

Series 2 episode that dealt with the poet (I'm bad with the ghosts' names) recounting his backstory, the duel and the party and that.

She was the ghost who was around for a bit when he died but has since been sucked off.

Edit. Series 2 Episode 4. The Thomas Thorne Affair.

I watched series 2 reasonably recently and somehow completely missed her/erased her from my memory.

Quote from: markburgle on September 01, 2021, 01:50:55 PM
Yeah my main gripe is that the stuff with the ghosts is what I'm really in it for - their backstories, plus exploring the mechanics of why only some people become ghosts, what it takes to get "sucked off" etc - and I wish they didn't ration that stuff out so much. The present-day stuff is good but I could have a lot less of it

That's a fair comment.

The Mollusk

Completely agree that the ghosts are the best thing about this and Mike and Alison are just fluff. The sister plot arc was dull and uninteresting. Why couldn't they have made Knappett's character, or any of that storyline, even the least bit funny? Conversely Mike is a total idiot whose various scrapes are seldom funny. I sort of feel like they missed a trick not getting him to succeed in being able to see the ghosts or even at least bringing in a character for one episode who can also see them, especially three series in. Really not arsed about them at all.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 01, 2021, 03:03:43 PM
Series 2 episode that dealt with the poet (I'm bad with the ghosts' names) recounting his backstory, the duel and the party and that.

She was the ghost who was around for a bit when he died but has since been sucked off.

Edit. Series 2 Episode 4. The Thomas Thorne Affair.

You get sucked off when you are a ghost? Bring it on (fnarr fnarr)

olliebean

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 02, 2021, 02:01:47 PM
You get sucked off when you are a ghost? Bring it on (fnarr fnarr)

Yes, that was the joke.

Johnny Yesno

Blinder Data

just binged this, lots of fun. I could do with more Thomas, Robin and Julian - they are the best ghosts. some of the b plots feel underdeveloped and like they're treading water (e.g. Mike looking at the ex-bf on Facebook for the whole episode) but overally it's v winning - the tone of it is just great.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 17, 2021, 11:47:10 AM
Watched this on my wife's insistence and now we're back at series 1. Anyone else notice that Alison is a lot funnier in the earlier episodes. Seems like a very different character in series 3, a little mopier, more of a straight woman than a comedy character.

Also the plots in series 1 are a lot more situational whereas series 3 seems character driven. Mightn't have noticed if I'd watched it in the right order.

now you mention it, she does end up playing it straight most of the time in series 3 as the ghosts take centre stage, which is a shame as charlotte ritchie is v good. but then i want to find out more about the ghosts and their story, so it's a difficult balancing act.

i would like more ghosts, tbh. the cameo of the civil war soldier in s3 finale was all too brief and inconclusive.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 01, 2021, 05:01:31 PM
Completely agree that the ghosts are the best thing about this and Mike and Alison are just fluff. The sister plot arc was dull and uninteresting. Why couldn't they have made Knappett's character, or any of that storyline, even the least bit funny? Conversely Mike is a total idiot whose various scrapes are seldom funny. I sort of feel like they missed a trick not getting him to succeed in being able to see the ghosts or even at least bringing in a character for one episode who can also see them, especially three series in. Really not arsed about them at all.

Mike is the least interesting but is a likeable fool who will go two-footed into everything he tries (useful for a sitcom!). I think he's as prominent and involved as he needs to be i.e. not very.

bobloblaw

Quote from: olliebean on September 02, 2021, 04:16:44 PM
Yes, that was the joke.

almost as good a pre-watershed gag as the brigadier talking about the ghosts' cocktail society, or as he snappily calls it, CockSoc