Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:19:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts series 3

Started by Butchers Blind, August 09, 2021, 11:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 10, 2021, 02:16:03 PM
Mike is the least interesting but is a likeable fool who will go two-footed into everything he tries (useful for a sitcom!). I think he's as prominent and involved as he needs to be i.e. not very.

I like Mike a lot, he could easily have been the straight man (and sometimes is if the plot demands) but I like how much of an affable dope he is. His mangling of phrases like redding weddy and the confused "what?" he gives afterwards, as if he's not sure what went wrong with the sentence, always give me a chuckle.

Also thought he had some nice stuff away from Alison this series. The episode this which showed how utterly baffling and isolating it can be when your wife's talking to a roomful of people you can't see or here was a good one, and the reveal that Julian and Robin like to mess with him when he's on his own was really good.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 10, 2021, 02:16:03 PM
i would like more ghosts, tbh. the cameo of the civil war soldier in s3 finale was all too brief and inconclusive

I'm still massively surprised they haven't gone with an 'evil ghost arrives at the house' episode yet (one that has the power to travel around), it seems to be such an obvious story and one that would give someone a great cameo.

gilbertharding

A bit surprised Geoffrey McGivern didn't die in the house. Suppose it was too well telegraphed to actually happen.

Magnum Valentino

But the fake sister thing was also too telegraphed to actually happen and did happen

kalowski

Very good. I laughed a lot at
Spoiler alert
Robin getting freaked out by Pat's thumb trick.
[close]

bobloblaw

Only just got round to watching episode 6 of series 3, despite having watched the first 5 ages back.
One thing I couldn't square: how did they get a photograph of Kitty? Have I missed/forgotten something?

Captain Z

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 10, 2021, 05:24:26 PM
I'm still massively surprised they haven't gone with an 'evil ghost arrives at the house' episode yet (one that has the power to travel around), it seems to be such an obvious story and one that would give someone a great cameo.

They seem to be quite strict about the idea of ghosts being tied to the place where they die. But I would like to see Alison meeting other ghosts at locations away from the house.

Only just clocked that Mike is the same actor that plays Dean in Stath Lets Flats (which starts a new series this week).

Mobius

Quote from: Captain Z on October 25, 2021, 12:34:07 AM
Stath Lets Flats (which starts a new series this week).

What! I knew it was coming but didn't realise it was that soon. Nice!

Alberon

Quote from: bobloblaw on October 24, 2021, 11:45:14 PM
Only just got round to watching episode 6 of series 3, despite having watched the first 5 ages back.
One thing I couldn't square: how did they get a photograph of Kitty? Have I missed/forgotten something?

Just went and had a look at this scene. Kitty's face is taken from a painting.

Norton Canes

They seem to be quite strict about the idea of ghosts being tied to the place where they die

I suppose 'manifests' then, for some reason, rather than arrives from elsewhere.

Johnny Yesno

They seem to be quite strict about the idea of ghosts being tied to the place where they die. But I would like to see Alison meeting other ghosts at locations away from the house.

She saw one when she went to the doctor's in series 1, iirc.

Alberon

There were also two WWII pilots stuck in midair when she was viewing a flat in an effort to get away from the house and the ghosts.

It'd be interesting to see her interacting with more ghosts beyond the house, but it would have the effect of isolating her from the rest of the cast.

Alberon

Oh, yeah. Incidentally the American version has got a full season order from CBS (though no one is exactly clear how many episodes that is). But hopefully it should mean some executive producer money starting to flow to the creators of the British version.

Icehaven

Quote from: Mobius on October 25, 2021, 12:41:27 AM
What! I knew it was coming but didn't realise it was that soon. Nice!

You must have successfully avoided watching any of the C4 channels live then as it's been trailered to death on all of them for weeks.

markburgle

Yeah I find Alison's lack of curiosity about the ghosts in general quite frustrating. I always want her to stop and talk to them, find out what their deal is. But it'd be a very different show then - more like Quantum Leap, but with ghosts. She has to find out how to lay another soul to rest each week

Mobius

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 07:24:05 PM
You must have successfully avoided watching any of the C4 channels live then as it's been trailered to death on all of them for weeks.

Yeah I don't live in England any more so this stuff sneaks up on me

Quote from: markburgle on October 25, 2021, 09:34:50 PM
Yeah I find Alison's lack of curiosity about the ghosts in general quite frustrating. I always want her to stop and talk to them, find out what their deal is. But it'd be a very different show then - more like Quantum Leap, but with ghosts. She has to find out how to lay another soul to rest each week

Perhaps it's understandable that she doesn't; the ghosts she has met so far have tended to be quite needy and dull.  They certainly don't seem to have any kind of insight into the afterlife, or say anything terribly interesting.  Perhaps when you've met your first dozen ghosts, the novelty wears off.

markburgle

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on October 25, 2021, 09:39:09 PM
Perhaps it's understandable that she doesn't; the ghosts she has met so far have tended to be quite needy and dull.  They certainly don't seem to have any kind of insight into the afterlife, or say anything terribly interesting.  Perhaps when you've met your first dozen ghosts, the novelty wears off.

Ahh, but what's the common denominator in these interactions? Her! She's more likely to shut them down than get them talking most of the time. That ghost (Julie, maybe?) they mentioned in one ep that used to be around and then "got sucked off" - no curiosity from Alison about how this might've come about, or what other ghosts might've lived there before. And it doesn't seem to have occurred to her to wonder how she herself can avoid becoming a ghost either. Maybe some of them have thoughts about that. Come on Al! Get your hand out the bloody sand!

The other ghosts she's met outside the house include a piked roundhead officer on a country path and a murdered hitchhiker girl.

markburgle

Just realised I wrote "hand" instead of "head". That's embarrassing

markburgle