Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Matrix films (or how/why did the Wachowskis muck up the sequels so badly?)

Started by Blinder Data, August 09, 2021, 05:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 10, 2021, 11:06:45 AM
Thought that looked all rather dull. Just another rote action film.

There's very little action in the trailer and it's largely constructed around a conversation with a psychiatrist, with various "am I going mad?" bits, so I don't really understand this.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on September 10, 2021, 09:06:59 PM
Big fan of both The Thirteenth Floor and Dark City, Sky Movies seemed to have them on a lot around about 2000/01. Another contender: Cube. ExistenZ I saw in the cinema but don't think I've ever bothered to rewatch, I'd class it as the weakest of the bunch.

eXistenZ is a shaggy dog story, but the punchline is a corker.

mothman

Lord Mandrake

But what if this time, the machines don't shave your head and beard?

If you fuck in the Matrix, do you fuck in real life?
No, the machines just wank you off.

Shaky

There are lot's of people going nuts over Keanu's look in this but sleep easy, he was pictured sans hair during filming.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Zetetic

Something about the trailer gives me hope that Lana was genuinely moved in someway to want to make this, so it's worth a shot. I'm not sure I could justify that given that anything I might point to in the trailer is faintly embarrassing.

Replies From View

Does Keanu Reeves have a contract in Hollywood now stipulating that his beard must never be shaved off regardless of his role?

Replies From View

Replies From View

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on September 11, 2021, 09:46:54 AM
Does Keanu Reeves have a contract in Hollywood now stipulating that his beard must never be shaved off regardless of his role?

He may have been moving directly on to shooting John Wick 4 afterwards, so cutting and shaving would mean having to regrow them.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on September 11, 2021, 09:46:54 AM
He was clean shaven in the new Bill and Ted film. He looked about 15 years older though, so maybe he should.

Custard

Quote from: Shaky on September 11, 2021, 05:09:27 AM
There are lot's of people going nuts over Keanu's look in this but sleep easy, he was pictured sans hair during filming.

That's only cos his wig blew off

And beard

mothman

Who was it here whose avatar was Riker's[nb]Him out of Star Trek TNG[/nb] beard slowly lowering into Jonathan Frakes's[nb]The actor who plays him[/nb] beaming[nb]As in smiling, not as in transporting[/nb] face? Perhaps there should be an, if you will, Reevesian update.

EDIT: Ginyard

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 11, 2021, 10:36:55 AM
He may have been moving directly on to shooting John Wick 4 afterwards, so cutting and shaving would mean having to regrow them.

Sounds bonkers to me.  Whatever happened to actors being so good that they can shave and then grow their beards back fast enough.

I bamlem Justice League moustache debacles.

Mr Trumpet

The beard and long hair make him look a bit like an ageing hapa Jesus though, which if you study the original films very carefully and have a high IQ you will notice is a subtle theme woven throughout

Replies From View

Glebe

Hmmm, trailer is okay, not sure what to make of it. Could be shite, could be good, we'll wait and see.

Laurence Fishburne must be doubly pissed over not only not being asked back but on top of that having Morpheus return with a different actor. Maybe Lana Wachowski had an unpublicised falling out with him or summit.

Ferris

I assumed Fishburne turned it down, and they recast it as a "Young" Morpheus type.

Glebe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 11, 2021, 05:55:51 PMI assumed Fishburne turned it down, and they recast it as a "Young" Morpheus type.

Or maybe they didn't offer him enough moolah.

mothman

If the Wachowskis really do feel like they have a story worth going back to this coalface for, then you'd think they'd do their best to get everyone back. So it is weird.

Not that I'm saying they're incapable of assholery. Was just reading J. Michael Straczynski's (who worked with them on Netflix show Sense8) book on writing, and he recalls a falling out he had with them (this was before Sense8 but they'd apparently known each other for years) after he wrote them a list of six key things he thought was wrong with Jupiter Ascending after seeing a preview. They were apparently massively offended and refused to forgive him until he apologised and admitted the movie was perfect as it is. When the film came out and everyone said the same things were wrong with it (everyone that saw it, that is, and there weren't many), I presume he didn't say he'd told them so...

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on September 11, 2021, 06:26:55 PMIf the Wachowskis really do feel like they have a story worth going back to this coalface for, then you'd think they'd do their best to get everyone back. So it is weird.

Julie Wachowksi isn't even involved. It's a solo Wachoski film.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Replies From View on September 11, 2021, 01:20:56 PM
Whatever happened to actors being so good that they can shave and then grow their beards back fast enough.

Oscar Issac can apparently go from clean shaven to full beard in 4 days. That's why he's the go to guy in tinseltown. Reeves's hair game is on the wane,   his curtains are held together with Dax and the beard never really filled in.

mothman

Replies From View

mothman

There are so many Wachowskis, I can't keep track: Lana, Lilly, Julie, Grouchette, Chica, Harpy, Zeppina...

Glebe

13 schoolyards

There's some speculation that the reason Fishburne isn't back is because the real Morpheus is dead and the young version running around is a scam reboot trying to lure out the human resistance. It's a bit of a stretch but there is a glimpse of him in an Agent's suit-and-tie towards the end of the trailer so there might be something to it.

It does seem like there might have been story reasons not to have OG Morpheus around, unlike Weaving who supposedly couldn't turn up due to scheduling issues. Though the Wachowski's have form in just dropping people from their sequels, such as the Operator in the first Matrix who presumably got drunk on shore leave and was never seen again

Replies From View

Maybe they should have found a time to film when Hugo Weaving was available and Keanu Reeves was allowed to shave.

Mind you it may work in this film's favour not to have Weaving in it.

phantom_power

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 12, 2021, 05:41:50 AM
There's some speculation that the reason Fishburne isn't back is because the real Morpheus is dead and the young version running around is a scam reboot trying to lure out the human resistance. It's a bit of a stretch but there is a glimpse of him in an Agent's suit-and-tie towards the end of the trailer so there might be something to it.

It does seem like there might have been story reasons not to have OG Morpheus around, unlike Weaving who supposedly couldn't turn up due to scheduling issues. Though the Wachowski's have form in just dropping people from their sequels, such as the Operator in the first Matrix who presumably got drunk on shore leave and was never seen again

I think "in universe" Morpheus is dead so the recast is due to that rather than any beef with Fishburne