Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Invisible Man, Woman, Guinea Pig, Chevy Chase, etc.

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 09, 2021, 08:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Do you have to suffer through League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the sake of completion?

Pinball

An aside but I was at a company dinner at the Chicago Science Museum a couple of years ago. Robbie the Robot (the original one) was a few metres away. It was closed to the public so amazingly intimate and quiet. Plenty of photos were taken :-)

As a huge fan of Forbidden Planet, TZ etc, I found this really interesting.

Shit Good Nose

RE The Entity, whilst I agree that it's definitely not an invisible man film, it's also definitely NOT a casually misogynistic rape fantasy film - it's very poe-faced and serious, and very creepy.  Also remember it's based on something that actually happened (at least the woman claimed - and maintains to this day - that she was repeatedly raped by...well, an entity, and university students and scientists went on record saying that they witnessed phenomena in line with her claims).  Whilst Furie admits he didn't look into the real case that much, the main bones of it are such that it still presents the woman's experiences fairly accurately.

I thoroughly recommend it, but it's more The Exorcist than Exorcist 2, so adjust your viewing mentality accordingly.  It's also one of Furie's best films (which, admittedly, isn't saying much), but it's right up there with The Ipcress File, although completely different in style and tone of course).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on September 07, 2021, 09:51:48 PM
Do you have to suffer through League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the sake of completion?

Hmmm, it's a good question, but I think I'm going to stick to films where the Invisible Man is the main character, otherwise that'd open the project up to a number of other films like Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Mystery Men and Fantastic Four, and I can't be arsed with all that.

Thanks to this article (https://screenrant.com/invisible-man-movies-ranked-best-worst/) I've discovered four more films, Invisible Mom, Invisible Mom 2, Invisible Dad and The Invisible Kid, all of which look pretty shoddy.

Blumf

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 07, 2021, 09:14:19 PM
The Amazing Transparent Man (1960)...
...and
Spoiler alert
the hilariously brutal ending
[close]

Definitely one for the "That escalated quickly" file. Also the rather indifferent response to it afterwards. Think you gave it a fair review/score.

Replies From View

Small Man Big Horse

The Invisible Maniac (1990) - Kevin Dornwinkle (Noel Peters) is an eminent scientist who thinks he's created a formula to turn invisible, but when it fails he goes mad and kills four other scientists. Committed to an insane asylum he soon escapes and takes a job as a physics teacher, finally getting his formula working and then creeping in to his students' bedrooms, and before you can say "Oh, this is a horrible sex comedy that has a lot of jokes about sexual assault", he's being really horrible and sexually assaulting people. Directed by Adam "Detroit Rock City" Rifkin under the name Rif Coogan, I can only presume that's because he was ashamed of making a Porky's style comedy where cheerleaders dance naked in the showers for a weirdly long time and when clothed the camera zooms in on their underwear in such a creepy manner that even someone on the sex offender's register would probably think it's a bit much. It's poorly edited (one scene where he kills two girls inexplicably keeps on cutting to a poster of a skeleton), Peters is okay in the lead role but the majority of the rest of the cast are amateurish in the extreme, and the script feels improvised  A couple of the kills are amusing (death by sandwich, a very unconvincing electrocution) and some of the acting is so bad that I laughed, but this is the worst "Invisible" movie I've seen by far. 2.4/10

thenoise

The Invisible Dead aka Orloff and the Invisible Man. Shoddy 1970s Eurocine effort, directed by one of their usual rotating staff of incompetents. Suffice to say that it features an invisible ape man who at one point performs an invisible rape, achieved by zooming the camera in and out while a confused looking actress writhes around a bit. Recommended!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thenoise on September 26, 2021, 07:19:51 PM
The Invisible Dead aka Orloff and the Invisible Man. Shoddy 1970s Eurocine effort, directed by one of their usual rotating staff of incompetents. Suffice to say that it features an invisible ape man who at one point performs an invisible rape, achieved by zooming the camera in and out while a confused looking actress writhes around a bit. Recommended!

Hmmm, I'm not convinced it'll be my cup of tea to be honest. And talking of shit movies...

Memoirs Of An Invisible Man (1992) - Chevy Chase stars in this piss poor John Carpenter comedy which boasts a strong supporting cast including Michael McKean, Sam Neil, Daryl Hannah, Patricia Heaton and Stephen Tobolowsky, but unfortunately bar Neil, who makes for a great villain, the others are wasted. Chase plays a quite unlikeable city stockbroker who's involved in an accident that turns him invisible, and soon the CIA are after him as they want him to become a spy, but he's more interested in trying to have sex with Hannah and the film drags and drags and drags. It's a bit weird as it flits between showing us Chevy in both visible and invisible forms and why some scenes we see him and some scenes we don't rarely adds up, the film's far poorer for it and I I can only presume Chase is in it so much due to ego reasons. It's not all bad, there's the odd decent line or visual gag, and a dream sequence where he has invisible genitals made me laugh out loud, but most of the time this is quite boring and groan inducing. 4.4/10

Edit: I forgot to include this awful joke - "Hey, I guess this was made before he became a vegetarian!!!!!!!"

Egyptian Feast

The screenshot of that gag just made me laugh out loud, which never happened when I watched the original film.

It's an OK flick, but I can't disagree with anything you said. I read the original novel years back and it was a bit ho-hum too to be honest.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 27, 2021, 08:54:18 PM
The screenshot of that gag just made me laugh out loud, which never happened when I watched the original film.

It's an OK flick, but I can't disagree with anything you said. I read the original novel years back and it was a bit ho-hum too to be honest.

Why thank you! And I think I struggled with it so much as Chase's character is so unlikeable and the rom-com elements annoyed, though if the character had been invisible the whole way through I'd have rated it more as effects wise it was pretty decent. And I do own the book as well but never got round to reading it, and doubt I will now after your comments / the insane amount of books I've also bought but not yet read.