Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Still waiting for the inevitable Auton episode 

Spoiler alert
Yaz and the Plastic Population
[close]

Come on mate - it's an open goal!

Replies From View

Most of Chibnall's characters behave like Autons.  I wonder if trying to write a story with Autons in it would make him realise this.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on October 05, 2021, 05:05:23 PM
I never thought I would give no shits whatsoever about a new Doctor Who series, especially after such a long wait.  But I honestly can't be fucked unless everyone here unanimously says series 13 is a miraculous return to form.

It's quite sad, to be honest.

I think I'll probably end up watching it just because it's a short season and the end of Chibnall's run. If it were 10 episodes of the third year of Chibnall's originally mooted five-year plan[nb]He said that, right? I haven't hallucinated it?[/nb] I'd give it a wide berth, though.

Still haven't watched the NYE special from this year. Apathy has overridden my usual completist urges.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on October 05, 2021, 06:24:49 PM
I think I'll probably end up watching it just because it's a short season and the end of Chibnall's run. If it were 10 episodes of the third year of Chibnall's originally mooted five-year plan[nb]He said that, right? I haven't hallucinated it?[/nb] I'd give it a wide berth, though.

Still haven't watched the NYE special from this year. Apathy has overridden my usual completist urges.

Five years meaning three series, but yeah.  Nobody said in advance that series 13 would only be six episodes, but I'm guessing COVID has been taken as an opportunity by the BBC to do something they'd wanted to do for a while.

(Remember an Eccleston interview in 2005 where he was asked, before the series started airing, if he was planning to stick around for a second series.  He deflected by saying that in a way he had already done two series, and mumbled something about two lots of six episodes.)

I've not watched Revolution of the Daleks either.  Can't be fucked, for the same reason.  I'm impulsively pre-ordering all the animated Troughton stories but Chibnall has broken my completism at the newer end.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Replies From View on October 05, 2021, 06:50:22 PM
(Remember an Eccleston interview in 2005 where he was asked, before the series started airing, if he was planning to stick around for a second series.  He deflected by saying that in a way he had already done two series, and mumbled something about two lots of six episodes.)

Never heard this before but it makes a fair bit of sense. You could see a break between Dalek and The Long Game being a thing, couldn't you? Or perhaps between The Long Game and Father's Day, since that episode basically starts off from point 0 again after every other episode flowing seamlessly into one another.

purlieu

I watched Revolution of the Daleks for the first time a few weeks ago and I remember literally nothing about it other than Graham and the other one leaving.

BritishHobo

In a weird way I was looking forward to the new series because I'm genuinely fascinated (for the wrong reasons) to see where Chibnall takes this stupid Timeless Child thing. I already hate it, so I'm oddly willing to hear him out and see what mad fucking shit he decides to do. Will he name the Doctor's real home planet? Will we see it? Will we meet her parents?

The fact that it's definitely ended has reinforced that (for me) I think. If it were a full twelve/thirteen episode series, with another announced, and potentially more to come, I think I'd definitely be joining you guys and leaving the show for a while. But I've wasted this much time, so fuck it.

It really is odd, because at the equivalent points in RTD and Moffat's reigns (in terms of closeness to the end), it felt like you'd been watching their show for such a long time. This feels like Chibnall only started last year.

BritishHobo

Also a mate and his neighbours have had letters through saying filming would be taking place on their road today, and the consensus seemed to be it was Doctor Who. But his flat is too far away and I can't be bothered going.

JamesTC

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 05, 2021, 07:19:17 PM

It really is odd, because at the equivalent points in RTD and Moffat's reigns (in terms of closeness to the end), it felt like you'd been watching their show for such a long time. This feels like Chibnall only started last year.

In terms of number of episodes (22), RTD was at The Impossible Planet and Moffat has just had Let's Kill Hitler.

The whole Chibnall era is mercifully the length of two normal series. Easy to fucking ignore forever.

H-O-W-L

Imagine if every season still had multi-part serials. I think nobody would even talk about Doctor Who here if Chibs was at the helm of something like that.

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on October 05, 2021, 02:01:22 PM
Graham: ARM

My God, it's staring us in the face! What song has a chorus that starts "Arm..." and then continues "... yourself 'cause no-one else here will save you"? It's "You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell.

Chris Cornell. Chris Chibnall.

Do you know what this means?!

Spoiler alert
Bradley Walsh is the next James Bond.
[close]

purlieu

I'd actually totally welcome serialised Who if it came back. I mean, it wouldn't, TV doesn't work that way these days, but on the whole I tend to prefer serialised telly so I'm all for it.

Mister Six

Isn't Chibnall's six-episode season supposed to be serialised? Or was that just speculation?

The Roofdog

Quote from: Mister Six on October 06, 2021, 02:05:56 AM
Isn't Chibnall's six-episode season supposed to be serialised? Or was that just speculation?

They confirmed it. A 6 hour Chibnall story, yummy, imagine his Silurians story but 3 times longer.

Replies From View

Imagine that tank filled with shit, vomit and blood at the end of The Magic Christian, and enjoy it with all your might.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 05, 2021, 06:24:49 PM

my favourite bit is when they reuse one shot.

Quote from: purlieu on October 05, 2021, 07:05:26 PM
I watched Revolution of the Daleks for the first time a few weeks ago and I remember literally nothing about it other than Graham and the other one leaving.

Doctor murdered the second-last member of one species in order to do a genocide on another one. No guns though. Never use guns!

Malcy

daf

The Cyber Birds
Bots From The Black Stuff
Mersey Beast
The Cavern Club of Doom

Malcy

Quote from: daf on October 07, 2021, 07:02:55 PM
The Cyber Birds
Bots From The Black Stuff
Mersey Beast
The Cavern Club of Doom

I really tried to put a caption and couldn't think of anything so cheers!

purlieu

Norton Canes

JamesTC

The Time Lord High Sefton Council

Cunts sent me a request for £10 for peppercorn rent for the last year.

Malcy

Scouse Reunion
La & Monsters
Jordache & The Doctor
The Patio Horror
Mummy On The Mersey Ferry
Jimmy Corkhill's Night Of Terror

Norton Canes

daf

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Come on, would you put it past Chibnall to cook up a plot about an attempt to clone Ryan's gran just so he could use that title for a story set in Liverpool?

pigamus

Blofelds Cat

An Unearthly Lid

The Mutants (kopite edition)

Pyramids Shopping Centre of Mars

Don't Read The Sun Makers