Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:05:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

pigamus

Did he mean to say Vardan and fuck up the joke?

Alberon

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Alberon on October 14, 2021, 02:32:19 PM
There's some pictures here

https://twitter.com/gbsheard/status/1448579934964834311

Glad to see the probic vent still there.

first comment:

QuoteI've got chills, the kind I haven't experienced since the 80s seeing these guys for the first time. This may just turn out to be the best series in all of Who history, and to think, it's only six episodes

cute bit of enthusiasms

The good news is that RTD can recycle the costumes and put them in something watchable.

GoblinAhFuckScary

strax found dead in a rabbit warren in brecon beacons

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on October 14, 2021, 09:21:22 AM
It makes me glad this is going to be broadcast virtually unnoticed with everyone waiting to see what RTD does.

I actually worry that the wider public may have caught vague news of RTD's return, seen adverts for Chibnall's final series and put 2+2 together wrongly to assume RTD has gone shit.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on October 14, 2021, 09:05:28 AM
Called it - five of the six episodes written solo by Chibnall and one co-write with Maxine Alderton. Oh god.

Alderton did the one episode of ChibWho (Villa Diodati) that everyone agrees is good, so hopefully that bodes at least a little, tiny bit well?

No, probably not.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 14, 2021, 03:58:22 PM

Tried to Google that because I vaguely remember the new story you're talking about, and instead found this wonderful picture of "the world's biggest rabbit":

mothman

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 14, 2021, 03:58:22 PM

That'll teach him. These days nobody uses directions provided by Thomas Thomas any more.

Blofelds Cat

Does this new series have individual titles or is it Flux Part one, two. three etc?

mothman

1. Flux Capacitor
2. Flux Aeterna
3. What The Actual Flux
4. Never Mind The Flux, Here's The Weeping Angels
5. Let's Get The Flux Out Of Here
6. Behold The Field Where I Grow My Flux, You Will See That It Is Barren

mjwilson

I haven't read all of DWM yet but Chibnall talks about "episode one" at one point.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on October 14, 2021, 04:35:47 PM
I actually worry that the wider public may have caught vague news of RTD's return, seen adverts for Chibnall's final series and put 2+2 together wrongly to assume RTD has gone shit.

I think the most widely believed explanation for the odd timing of the RTD announcement is that they wanted to get ahead of a leak, but I can't help wondering if the BBC was concerned about the dearth of publicity that Chibnall was giving them to put out for S13, and put out the RTD news instead just for the sake of getting the programme into the news, and thus into people's heads, ahead of the somewhat lacklustre build-up to the new series.

olliebean

Here's something to ponder on: this series of DW is Chibnall's Children of Earth.

mothman

The scary thing to me is, suppose John Bishop turns out to actually be really good, possibly even the best thing in this, like Tate, Lucas and Walsh before him?

purlieu

Fair play, those new Sontarans look great.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on October 14, 2021, 08:46:47 PM
The scary thing to me is, suppose John Bishop turns out to actually be really good, possibly even the best thing in this, like Tate, Lucas and Walsh before him?

Is that scary? If so, why?

If he's as good as Walsh, then at least Flux will have one thing going for it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2021, 04:45:18 PM
Tried to Google that because I vaguely remember the new story you're talking about, and instead found this wonderful picture of "the world's biggest rabbit":

big rabbit! was thinking of this ha

Percy Foster Dead? Dwarf Gordon Ramsay Look-A-Like Reportedly Found Dead In Badger Den

Mister Six

Yeah, I remembered it was badgers a bit later. Great reference, regardless.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on October 14, 2021, 08:37:09 PM
Here's something to ponder on: this series of DW is Chibnall's Children of Earth.

The comparison had crossed my mind, but the gulf of difference between their respective writers just nullifies any similarity.

The defining characteristics of Children of Earth - whatever you might consider them to be, but let's say for the sake of argument gritty mood, confident and well-paced storytelling, compelling characters performed by actors with conviction - none of these will be present in series 13.

In series 13 you will have plots that are simultaneously too empty to fill their time and too rushed with breathless, meaningless dialogue, you'll have just nothing, I can't even be bothered listing all the different types of nothing.

We know it already.  Let's reset this shit RTD; let's go

Mister Six

Honestly sort of wish they'd just leave Doctor Who off the telly until the 60th, so it feels like a big, thrilling return without any more Chibnall mediocrity dampening enthusiasm.

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2021, 09:17:32 PM
Is that scary? If so, why?

If he's as good as Walsh, then at least Flux will have one thing going for it.

Maybe "scary" was the wrong word. But it'd mean Chibnall actually got something right, and the implications of that, now that IS scary...

Mister Six

He's managed to get a few things right already - Walsh, obviously. The Anamorphic cameras are nice. I like the theme tune and intro, and the visualisation of the time vortex. And, uh...

Replies From View

Never really got the love for the latest theme tune.  To me it just sounds like the Delia Derbyshire version being played from a ghetto blaster in the cupboard under the stairs, with some old screws and stuff rattling around on a shelf because of it.

I love the original Delia Derbyshire version.  Smothering it under a duvet doesn't bring out the best in it, I'm sorry to say.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2021, 10:12:40 PM
Honestly sort of wish they'd just leave Doctor Who off the telly until the 60th, so it feels like a big, thrilling return without any more Chibnall mediocrity dampening enthusiasm.

Certainly agree with this.  What we don't need is enthusiasm raised by news of RTD's return being crushed by people accidentally tuning into Chibnall's third series.

JamesTC

Don't forget the three big specials including a 100th anniversary of the BBC special and a regeneration. All presumably regurgitated by Chibnall.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Replies From View on October 14, 2021, 04:35:47 PM

Or that he's drastically improved.

Mister Six

Do you honestly think Chibnall is a more capable writer than RTD?

Replies From View

Maybe he's pointing out that the general public might not be very clever.  Broadchurch was inexplicably popular, for example.

RTD's Doctor Who was stupendously popular, though, so that argument wouldn't really hold.

thr0b

Every single episode of the new series is written by Mr Chibnall.

One episode is co-written with a new writer.