Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Credit to Chibnall, dialogue seems to have a bit more bite this time around.

frajer

If the Doctor was asked a question and responded by adopting a Noo Yoik accent and saying "yer aaassssss" I'd have to give Chibnall that one.

JamesTC

Quote from: Mister Six on October 16, 2021, 01:31:04 AM
Can't wait till Chibnall fucks off, folks. Have I mentioned that yet?

They've wrapped on the last Chibnall recording. He has officially fucked off aside from editing and promotion.

Seeing Jodie as herself on Norton last night reminded me of another Chibnall achievement; casting this beautiful, young, confident woman as a sci-fi swashbuckler and somehow making her completely sexless and unfanciable.

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 16, 2021, 11:37:12 AM
Seeing Jodie as herself on Norton last night reminded me of another Chibnall achievement; casting this beautiful, young, confident woman as a sci-fi swashbuckler and somehow making her completely sexless and unfanciable.

I've no problem at all with making the Doctor sexless.  In fact for me that's the ideal.  However the character lacks the natural enigma and charisma of the actress, which are the kinds of qualities the Doctor needs.

Same happened with Colin Baker in interviews though.  He'd be sitting there, calm, aloof and witty and I'd think "he'd make a good Doctor".  But it's not always easy for an actor to transfer what they can do spontaneously into anything they've over-rehearsed.

pigamus

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 16, 2021, 11:37:12 AM

Yeah Replies is right, we had enough 'fanciable Doctor' with Tennant to last us a lifetime

JamesTC

Saw a picture of a Sontaran on horseback.

It'll just be "what if The Time Warrior but written by Chris Chibnall", won't it? A bit like "what if Doctor Who and the Silurians but written by Chris Chibnall" which went so well.

Replies From View

What if the Sontarans stood around reading the wikipedia page about themselves

can't wait

BritishHobo

I've taken the catastrophic decision to go into this with high hopes. Just for a laugh, really. The trailer wasn't as awful as his others, there's something different going on with the series structure, and I know he's on the way out. A daft part of me is intrigued to just hear him out. Find out what the full vision is for this lifelong Timeless Child plan actually is. What's his aim, what does he want to say with it? See what happens when, faced with the end of his time on Who, Chibnall empties out the reserves of all the ideas he's had stored up, the way that Moffat dropped some of his greatest, most original ideas in series 10, and finally nailed Capaldi's Doctor.

Maybe it'll be finally good. I mean, it won't. I know it won't. But MAYBE. So I'm going to go in with expectations raised.

mothman

Chairman Yang

If he's following the arc of previous showrunners then we've already had his self-indulgent last hurrah and we're at his over-the-top, Marvel movie, 'bring back the Time Lords' Christmas Special part of his career.

Jaysus

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 16, 2021, 04:48:04 PM
I've taken the catastrophic decision to go into this with high hopes. Just for a laugh, really. The trailer wasn't as awful as his others, there's something different going on with the series structure, and I know he's on the way out. A daft part of me is intrigued to just hear him out. Find out what the full vision is for this lifelong Timeless Child plan actually is. What's his aim, what does he want to say with it? See what happens when, faced with the end of his time on Who, Chibnall empties out the reserves of all the ideas he's had stored up, the way that Moffat dropped some of his greatest, most original ideas in series 10, and finally nailed Capaldi's Doctor.

Maybe it'll be finally good. I mean, it won't. I know it won't. But MAYBE. So I'm going to go in with expectations raised.

Silly decision.

The only way this will end up being better than deeply mediocre at its highest peaks is if RTD has already taken executive production reins and has been guiding this, as yet uncredited.  This is not entirely impossible, but also too much to hope for without more information.  Have fun getting your hopes dashed, though.  Obviously you have a streak of masochist running through you.

olliebean

We can at least hope it will be better than his first two.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Alberon

So who is behind the Flux?

It's got to be the Master and his Cyber-Timelords, hasn't it?

Chairman Yang

Past version of The Doctor she's forgotten about called Rotcod Eht

mothman

Replies From View

Probably the tooth alien bloke or time fonz

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 16, 2021, 04:48:04 PM

You are a wonderful, wonderful person and don't let any of these clueless Philistines tell you otherwise.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

mothman

I reckon[nb]I don't really.[/nb] it's Adam, the failed Companion from "Dalek" and "The Long Game." Finally put his Brainport to good use.

Helvetica Scenario

What about, right, the Timeless Child was actually Rassilon or Omega or some shit and the Jo Martin/Fugitive Doctor is actually some double-fobwatch bullshit and all those other extra Doctors turn out to be one of those two fucks and they've been bollocksing around with the matrix?

I'm just struggling to believe that even Chibnall would ever think it's a great idea to permanently and retrospectively change the entire concept of the character from a cheeky, curious and fundamentally unimportant runaway to the most important being in the universe. Especially when he's on his way out of the door!

olliebean

It wouldn't surprise me if there's nothing about the Timeless Child in this series (apart from maybe the Doctor having the same conversation again during a quiet moment about how she doesn't know who she is any more), and all that is left for the specials.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: olliebean on October 17, 2021, 10:05:51 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if there's nothing about the Timeless Child in this series (apart from maybe the Doctor having the same conversation again during a quiet moment about how she doesn't know who she is any more), and all that is left for the specials.

want her to confide in bradley walsh and get brushed off with a "am i supposed to say something supportive"

Glyn

Sorry if this has already been asked but I had to bail out of the last series (think it was some way through the Tesla episode from memory). I'm willing to give the new one a fair chance ,mostly just in case RTD has to refer back to any of this guff at any point.

Any pointers on which episodes I should watch from series 12 as a bare minimum or is this just a passing masochistic impulse ? I have no idea what this timeless child stuff is all about but is ignorance bliss on this one?

GoblinAhFuckScary

out of all the episodes from season 12 i'd only really suggest Cult of Goatse or The Haunting of Glinner Diodati

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on October 17, 2021, 10:05:51 AM

It's easy:  what is the very shittest thing you can imagine.

No, not that.  Try even shitter.

Ok, go with that.  Well, it'll be that, except worse.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glyn on October 17, 2021, 12:39:40 PM
Sorry if this has already been asked but I had to bail out of the last series (think it was some way through the Tesla episode from memory). I'm willing to give the new one a fair chance ,mostly just in case RTD has to refer back to any of this guff at any point.

Any pointers on which episodes I should watch from series 12 as a bare minimum or is this just a passing masochistic impulse ? I have no idea what this timeless child stuff is all about but is ignorance bliss on this one?

Honestly, just read the Wikipedia summaries.  You will get all the information with no less of the dramatic impact, and you will have saved hours of your life.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Glyn on October 17, 2021, 12:39:40 PM

Any pointers on which episodes I should watch from series 12 as a bare minimum or is this just a passing masochistic impulse ?

Assuming you might actually want to watch any episodes, rather than taking the above advice, here's what I wrote 19 months ago when someone asked the same question:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 03, 2020, 07:36:22 AMYes.  To be honest, most of S12 was pretty fair going, far better than S11, with the lamentable exception of the execrable S12E03 (Orphan 55) which should never be watched by anyone ever again.

If you want to follow the series arc, you'll have to watch episodes 1, 2, 5, 8, 9 & 10 anyway (while noting that 1 & 2 are the weakest of those, it gets better as it goes along), so you might as well chuck in 4, 6 & 7 to boot.  Just not 3.

Since you bailed halfway through episode 4 (Tesla), the worst is already over.  Well in terms of episode quality anyway...

Quote from: Glyn on October 17, 2021, 12:39:40 PMI have no idea what this timeless child stuff is all about but is ignorance bliss on this one?

Quite possibly.  As it stands at the moment it's a major reworking of the Doctor's entire backstory that almost everybody thinks is utterly appalling.  It only comes up in episodes 9 & 10 though, so if you wanted to avoid it, stick to 5 & 8 (and 4, 6 & 7 if you really want).

No idea whether knowledge of it will be required for the next series though, although I suspect olliebean's conjecture that it won't get mentioned until the specials might be spot on.