Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs  (Read 23077 times)

Cloud

• This is probably a mistake
Re: Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2021, 12:43:35 AM »
Yeah a shit Master would have been good

I think you're onto something there!  Imagine the Master has a comically useless incarnation. Sort of like the one in "The curse of the fatal death"

That would genuinely be a good way to shake things up.

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2021, 07:11:01 AM »
The closest to that is probably Mark of the Rani - where he starts off standing in a field dressed as a scarecrow for a bit for no reason (the Doctor turning up is a coincidence!), and ends up getting kneed in the bollocks by the Rani!

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2021, 11:20:42 AM »
Yes, Ainley's Master is a bit of a pillock throughout most of his run, really. Post-Castrovalva he should have only been in Planet of Fire and Survival, he would have been great then.

JamesTC

• Helms calls for donut tax
« Reply #243 on: September 03, 2021, 11:32:29 AM »
The Five Doctors and The Trial of a Time Lord are worthy appearances too, I'd argue.

Trial inverts it in a fun way by having his sudden appearance be to the Doctor's benefit for once.

purlieu

« Reply #244 on: September 03, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
I suppose my issue with him in Trial is that I'm just bloody bored of him by that point, even with the subversion of him being a (relatively) helpful character (for a while), I still sighed when he popped up first time I watched it because of course he's going to be there. Even if he's played broader than Delgado's version, I still want him to have a menacing presence, and he just isn't that in Time-Flight, The King's Demons, Mark of the Rani or Trial. I can let The Five Doctors off because it's an anniversary special. His appearance in Survival is partially great because it comes so out of the blue, but imagine if we'd only seen him once or twice in the previous seven years.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #245 on: September 03, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
Oh yeah - I hadn't noticed that the black suit used for that Colin Baker costume was the Master in Planet of Fire.  Just assumed it was some guy who helped with the DVD extras.

My main issue with Ainley's Master - beyond the excessive hamminess - is the fact that he contributes to the feeling of 1980s Doctor Who being truncated.  The final four seasons are half-length, and Ainley's Master spanning from Tom Baker to Sylvester McCoy heightens the sense that we're racing through those Doctors in a short time.  Keeping him to Davison only, the way that Delgado was limited to Pertwee (albeit due to tragic circumstances that meant he couldn't have returned even if later producers had wanted him to), would have been a better approach.

By contrast, compare how much distance is covered between 2005 and 2014.  Only 8 series, but so many different configurations of companions and threats helps that era to feel huge.

« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »
Not really related to S13, but I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ae8tw5-1Y

Midas

• 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔫𝔠𝔢.
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »
what am i looking at

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »
They've officially finished filming, I believe. Not sure if that includes the three specials, or if it's just the series. I hope it's the latter - with these rumours about production potentially leaving Cardiff, I'll be gutted if I've forever missed the opportunity to see them filming. I never got to visit the Doctor Who Experience, give me this at least.

If anybody wants the perfect topper to this post, Doctor Who was filming today, I've just learned from Twitter; confirmed by John Bishop to be the final day of shooting. They were filming in the park literally (literally literally) across the road from my house. I walked past the park today to go to the dentist, while they were filming. In fact my dentist faces the park. When you leave the dentist, you are literally literally looking at the park. It's directly across the road. There is nothing in the way to block the view. I couldn't have been better positioned to look at the park if God had engineered it. So naturally I exited the dentists, looking at the pavement, and WENT STRAIGHT FUCKING HOME

daf

• Hello Faithful Reader!
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2021, 10:12:32 PM »
what am i looking at

Some bollocks to do with Time Fracture

Quote from: Zartig09 of the noble Zartig clan
I believe half way through Time Fracture, there is an interval at an alien pub. And these guys are singing there. A good idea in my opinion.

Come back Lockdown - all is forgiven!

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2021, 10:16:09 PM »
Great. Perfect. Just great. For all we know, if BHobo had pulled his head out of his arse, we might have the inside track on who the next Doctor is…

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
I'M GOING TO KICK MY OWN FUCKING HEAD IN

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #252 on: September 21, 2021, 12:17:40 AM »
I'M GOING TO KICK MY OWN FUCKING HEAD IN

TIME FRACTURE MORE LIKE HEAD FRACTURE

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2021, 12:42:29 AM »
Not really related to S13, but I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ae8tw5-1Y

Gave up after about 4 seconds after hearing that fucking accent!

Midas

« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2021, 12:46:19 AM »
Some bollocks to do with Time Fracture

thanks for the info daf. i'd heard of this but didn't really know anything about it - looks weird as fuck tbh. also noticed reading about it most of the Doctors are played by impressionists which seems a bit bizarre to me.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »
my landlord was actually setting up the time fracture event and would eagerly show me pictures of him setting up props on his phone when he came over to fix the boiler which was by that point on the fritz weekly

Midas

« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:13 AM »
the twelfth Doctor is apparently played by a man called daniel dingsdale

« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2021, 01:35:55 AM »
DINGSDALE!

purlieu

« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »
also noticed reading about it most of the Doctors are played by impressionists which seems a bit bizarre to me.
Yeah, it's like Big Finish has come to try and crash the TV world's party. Except McGann, who's alive and active in the Doctor Who world, but is only present as archive audio.

Thomas

• please describe an encounter with a squirrel
« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2021, 11:18:06 AM »

Ron Maels Moustache

• applause applause applause applause applause
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2021, 10:07:13 AM »
https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/21/john-bishop-bids-farewell-to-doctor-who-as-he-wraps-filming-15294892/

It's kind-of weird to be reading about John Bishop departing the show before his character has even been seen. At least this might put those silly theories about him being the secret next Doctor to bed.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
I can't wait to see John Bishop in action as 'Dan'

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2021, 10:36:11 AM »
Just realised that 'dan' is Japanese for 'master'

Cloud

• This is probably a mistake
« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2021, 10:39:46 AM »
Hmm interesting observation.  Wouldn't surprise me.

JamesTC

• Helms calls for donut tax
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »
Can't believe BritishHobo didn't take up the opportunity to shout DAN at the production team.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »
Just realised that 'dan' is Japanese for 'master'
I do not think that John Bishop will be able to convincingly play a Japanese man, but I've been wrong before.

« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »
I do not think that John Bishop will be able to convincingly play a Japanese man, but I've been wrong before.

Would give Chibnall another chance to be ridiculously tone deaf.

Doctor: "There you are Master, Pearl Harbour 1942. Ooooh you'll be battered."

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »

Exactly; walking only in a diagonal fashion does not imply any correlation to slanty eye angles of an entire race of people, and I do wish people would stop saying this.  It is an outmoded form of racism and it is unfunny.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
Saw some filming pics from Bishop's last day of filming on the regeneration episode.

Bradley Walsh back for it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Jess Phillips
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2021, 01:31:05 PM »
Bradley Walsh back for it.

fair enough he's the one good thing about it right now

Tags: