Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:00:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Oscars

Started by El Unicornio, mang, February 29, 2004, 11:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbb bastard

" bill...dont go...its okay...we still love you..."

still a bit baffled by that...was crystal just taking the piss or did bill murray actually try and piss off out of there at that moment?

phil6875

No one's mentioned the bit where Jack Black sang thast song, v. funny.

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"I actually think City Of God was slightly over-rated. I mean, I thought it was good, but I also can't help thinking that if had have been set in New York it would just have been dismissed as an inferior retread of Goodfellas.

Jesus, finding myself sharing the same opinion with Jonathan Ross, I feel like I need a bath.

Except it's not set in New York and features characters different to those in Goodfellas from a different culture, with a different storyline.

jutl

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Yeah its become very fashionable to give her a hard time.

And that's the one fashion with which I am one hundred percent up-to-date.

She's a talentless whining nepotist.
She writes derivative bollocks tinged with sixth-form wankery.
She thinks that shooting buildings in a foreign country is a clever metaphor for alienation.
She uses so many tedious indie-movie cliches that I began to suspect she was taking the piss.

She should try making another movie, for less that $500,000, with no name stars, and put it out under a different name. I'd be interested to see how it would do...

king mob

Quote from: "jutl"
Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Yeah its become very fashionable to give her a hard time.

And that's the one fashion with which I am one hundred percent up-to-date.

She's a talentless whining nepotist.
She writes derivative bollocks tinged with sixth-form wankery.
She thinks that shooting buildings in a foreign country is a clever metaphor for alienation.
She uses so many tedious indie-movie cliches that I began to suspect she was taking the piss.

She should try making another movie, for less that $500,000, with no name stars, and put it out under a different name. I'd be interested to see how it would do...

Dont forget her turn in Godfather 3, oh god i wish i could.

european son

yeah, but it has new Kevin Shields stuff.

seriously though, the only two major disagreements i have with you on movies (that i know of), are Kill Bill and Lost In Translation. whilst i can see your points on both of them, i still love 'em.

jutl

Quote from: "european son"

yeah, but it has new Kevin Shields stuff.

seriously though, the only two major disagreements i have with you on movies (that i know of), are Kill Bill and Lost In Translation. whilst i can see your points on both of them, i still love 'em.

Fair enough. The faults ruin the good parts for me - which means either that I find more faults, or I take them more seriously... maybe if I just watch it again...

This is no good - I need to start a Sofia Coppola hatred thread.

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"
Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"I actually think City Of God was slightly over-rated. I mean, I thought it was good, but I also can't help thinking that if had have been set in New York it would just have been dismissed as an inferior retread of Goodfellas.

Jesus, finding myself sharing the same opinion with Jonathan Ross, I feel like I need a bath.

Except it's not set in New York and features characters different to those in Goodfellas from a different culture, with a different storyline.

Your critical analysis of the aesthetic differences are stunning! Are you a professional film critic? Bud seriously, v. similar in it's depiction of a criminal underworld; tracks a kid's progression through said milieu; utilises the conventions of the gangster genre; the odd overy nod to Scorsese (and the '70s school of US film-makers generally) in the operatic camera moves and use of music (hence Ross' "Bacardi commercial" comparison).

I mean, I really think that if the movie had have been made by, say, a neophyte American director straight out of film school, it would have been acknowledged as a worthy and promising apprentice effort, but I don't think it would have caused nearly so much fuss...

Cerys

The Oscars reminded me that I taped 'Belleville Rendezvous' at Christmas, and still hadn't watched it.  I've just remedied that.  Why the hell did I wait?  It's bloody fantastic; definitely earned all the awards it's been given, and deserved a few it didn't get.  The animation's outstanding - a glorious combination of cell and cgi (and possibly some stop-motion in there too); but the whole thing meshes so well, and the cgi is so beautifully understated, that you don't notice the joins unless you're looking dor them.  The whole thing consists of visual and musical humour, with slapstick and surrealism in more or less equal measure.  And a comically obese dog.  Watch it.  Now.

Hairy Chin

I can't. I don't have it and I've never heard of it.

I want to see the fat dog!

Cerys

Go to video place.  Tell them what you want.  Back off warily when the scary lady puts on the rubber glove, realise it's the video place next door you want, and make a graceful exit.  Then go into the other video place, demand a copy of 'Belleville Rendezvous', and leave dancing wildly at having obtained a look at the best animated feature-length film since ... possibly ever.  Avanti!

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I had a dream last night that I saw City of God, and it was a documentary about Gary Crowley

going undercover to meet all the dodgy street gangs that are in the film, and he kept getting beaten up and stuff. Don't know why I felt the need to share that....

Anyway, I fancy seeing it, looks right up my alley. My wife's parents, who are strict Southern Baptists, went to see it, presumably thinking it was a Christian film, and said it was "depressing" :-)

If Spykids 3 can get commissioned, this should be a shoo-in.  It sounds brilliant, but who would play Gary Crowley?