Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Momentous Date In Cinematic History

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, August 13, 2021, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

I thought this was pretty good, popcorn entertainment. Like The Truman Show for the TikTok generation. Even the presence of the YouTube / Twitch people didn't overly annoy me. just good fun with a few wank gags in for the adults that the kids would likely miss.  I have honestly never seen anything that Jodie whatsit has done before and she seemed a bit younger than I thought she was.

The
Spoiler alert
Marvel
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Star Wars tie ins
[close]
at the end made me laugh and didn't seem out of place.

Apparently they are working on a sequel.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" The Truman Show" is the most obvious comparison to be made with this film , yes, with Ryan Reynolds even having his own anodyne Trumanesque catchphrase ( " Don't have a good day- have a great day"), with a bit of " They Live" thrown in ( with the glasses thing).
As I mentioned before, those lines that New Zealand Feller as the baddy boss delivers are really astonishingly clunky and unfunny. Overacting madly doesn't make them any funnier.
Interesting what you say about yer woman being younger than  you thought she was ( she turned 26 while making this film), she seemed quite mismatched with that other young chap who played her ex boyfriend, but herself and Ryan Reynolds had some pretty good chemistry together. One likes to think that the actress herself is massively attracted to men who are a good few years older than her.

olliebean

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 16, 2021, 04:46:27 PMOne likes to think that the actress herself is massively attracted to men who are a good few years older than her.

Trump-supporting Lacrosse jocks seem to be more her type, sadly.

surreal

Quote from: surreal on August 16, 2021, 04:17:58 PM
Apparently they are working on a sequel.

I'm just really, really hoping they stay away from the "hey, what if we bring him into the REAL world" trope.  Could be very messy.  And yeah, Taika Waititi's character was very very grating and the only really annoying thing about the movie.  Just an over the top caricature to get some laughs from younger kids I'd imagine.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Come to think of it,that " bring yer man into the * real* world" thing could be quite a likely scenario for the sequel, the old switcheroo pulled with the " Crocodile Dundee" sequel. You can just imagine Her Who Plays Milly In The Real World pulling a " mortified" face from  her extensive range of expressions , and saying " Guy? What the Hell are you doing here?How d'you get here?  This isn't where you belong!" in her authentic sounding American accent.
Would I willingly go seeing such a film ? well, I might have stopped having the RFH for HWPMITRW by then Undecided.

Dr Rock

I thought it was alright, but found the end confusing. This is because I was watching a cam version off Pirate Bay and during the last ten minutes all the dialogue went Spanish.

Icehaven

Came here to protest that Taika Waititi looks nothing like Robert Downey jnr. but actually he does a bit so as you were.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just checking in to see how the thread's doing....yep....not too bad, I suppose. Hope Blue Jam makes an appearance soon, bet she'll make some dead witty and incisive comments ( assuming she can actually be arsed to see the film).

gilbertharding

I'll tell you what.

I saw a bus the other day, with an advert for this film on the side of it, and I thought - it's probably August 2020 (ie a whole year ago) that I saw a bus with an advert on the side for the big film from Xmas 2019 (ie an 8 month old poster which hadn't been changed).

I mean, I realise that isn't much of a story, and it's even less now I've written it down. But, what the heck?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, you've made an effort, and you've contributed, Gilbert, that's the main thing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's odd seeing bigshot comedy auteur bloke Waititi turning up as an actor for hire.

Took my son to this today, and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. First 3D film I've seen in a good long time, and I think the tech has improved. The glasses were lighter and with a wider field-of-view than I remembered, and the brightness levels were fine. Maybe made a difference that this was the first iMax 3D film I've ever seen. I like all the cast, and this was the typical family move with gags for the kids, and gags that the parents might have to explain in the car on the way home.

Famous Mortimer

I went to see it the other day, and enjoyed it quite a lot. Occasionally fell into the uncanny valley of computer games, like some of the stuff was very accurate, but a fair bit of it wasn't.

surreal

It's out on DVD / Blu-ray etc on October 4th BTW, which is quicker than I expected

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: surreal on September 17, 2021, 01:47:22 PM
It's out on DVD / Blu-ray etc on October 4th BTW, which is quicker than I expected

Well, I know what's going on *my* Christmas Pressie list, eh, fellow Ryan Reynolds fans?

olliebean

Quote from: surreal on September 17, 2021, 01:47:22 PM

It's "available" now.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Small Man Big Horse

I was in the mood for some dumb action fun today but only sort of half liked it. Here's the review I put up on Letterboxd:

Ryan Reynolds' Guy is a character in a GTA style computer game who becomes sentient, and it changes from initially being a daft action flick to something akin to The Truman Show. It starts well but I struggled to care about Guy, the moralising is patronising and the film's message is a tedious one, and its easily half an hour too long. Also, maybe I'm missing something,
Spoiler alert
but isn't the idea of a game where you just watch / not kill the characters called The Sims?
[close]
And not an original idea at all? 6.1/10

olliebean

The last half hour or so in particular was somewhat spoiled by an exponentially growing protest in my brain of "But computers don't work like that!"

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 29, 2021, 06:45:30 PM
I was in the mood for some dumb action fun today but only sort of half liked it. Here's the review I put up on Letterboxd:

This was how I felt. Jodie Comer is always a welcome sight in anything and Reynolds is watchable but I found a lot of the jokes fell flat and just generally lacked any real weight/excitement.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 29, 2021, 11:40:01 PM
This was how I felt. Jodie Comer is always a welcome sight in anything and Reynolds is watchable but I found a lot of the jokes fell flat and just generally lacked any real weight/excitement.

I thoroughly endorse this comment. It's a good job the two leads in that film are so likeable.

My housemates were watching this when I got home the other day. I guess I missed the first 15 minutes or so, but I didn't have any problem following it. It was only mildly entertaining at first, but got better as it went along and I was having some proper belly laughs by the end. It wasn't as good as Wreck it Ralph, or the recent Jumanji films, but it was a whole heck of a lot better than Ready Player One (faint praise).

Quote from: olliebean on September 29, 2021, 09:29:56 PM
The last half hour or so in particular was somewhat spoiled by an exponentially growing protest in my brain of "But computers don't work like that!"
I was distracted by the question of how Milly made her avatar kiss Guy. It's not a virtual reality game, that copies the player's movements. Was there a dedicated button for kissing?

The most unbelievable part was that Guy's exploits would be some worldwide phenomenon (before he was known to be sentient, anyway).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 17, 2021, 01:48:25 PM
The most unbelievable part was that Guy's exploits would be some worldwide phenomenon (before he was known to be sentient, anyway).
I feel like that's the most believable part. All sorts of weird shit suddenly becomes super-famous, like Joe Exotic or whoever.

I know that Twitch streamers and the like can have depressingly huge audiences, but they're not real world famous. The most I'd expect is some Leroy Jenkins style memes.
And what was Guy even doing that was so noteworthy? As far as anyone knew, he was just some bloke griefing the other players. Hardly prime time news.