Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:12:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Reunion - The Day Today

Started by Ian Drunken Smurf, August 15, 2021, 03:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Drunken Smurf

KennyMonster

I set this to record when i saw it in the listings but then immediately removed it when I read the blurb saying it was mainly an Iannucci and Schneider vehicle (with Rebecca Front too).

The lack of Morris and predominance of AI put me off.

Was that the case?

lazyhour

Coogan was good. A few tidbits I didn't already know. Annoying and Radio 4-y at times. Iannucci didn't dominate, which was a relief. Worth a listen!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 15, 2021, 07:00:51 PM
I set this to record when i saw it in the listings but then immediately removed it when I read the blurb saying it was mainly an Iannucci and Schneider vehicle (with Rebecca Front too).

The lack of Morris and predominance of AI put me off.

Was that the case?

Front isn't involved. It's a sort of round table thing in which Coogan, Iannucci, Mackichan, Marber and Schneider reminisce about making On the Hour and The Day Today.  It's enjoyable enough for what it is.

There's another thread about it here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,88599.msg4653716.html#new

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: lazyhour on August 15, 2021, 08:51:44 PM
Coogan was good. A few tidbits I didn't already know. Annoying and Radio 4-y at times. Iannucci didn't dominate, which was a relief. Worth a listen!

I also enjoyed the incongruity of Kirsty Wark reciting TDT headlines. And yeah, Coogan was on good form. He sounded happy!

idunnosomename

RIP CHRIS MORRIS FORUM

(just a josh, does deserve bigger flagging, as easy to miss that place)

Ian Drunken Smurf

Would have liked to have heard a bit more Marber. Was a pity that there was no Morris.

idunnosomename

notice how The Reunion has permanently dropped the jaunty Schumann piece as an intro (Années de pèlerinage, Deuxième année, Italie, 3. Canzonetta del Salvator Rosa) as they had to leave it out for their weightier episodes so much. Next week after silly news comedy spoof show: The Tiananmen Square Protests!

bobloblaw

enjoyed this but it was clunkily edited - Kirsty went all over the shop. Wish they'd release a less expurgated podcast version

olliebean

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 16, 2021, 10:59:32 PM
notice how The Reunion has permanently dropped the jaunty Schumann piece as an intro (Années de pèlerinage, Deuxième année, Italie, 3. Canzonetta del Salvator Rosa) as they had to leave it out for their weightier episodes so much. Next week after silly news comedy spoof show: The Tiananmen Square Protests!

I don't know if it's the piece you're thinking of, as I've never listened to the programme before, but the piece you name here is by Liszt.

robhug

after listening to this, it was pretty good to hear them all speak enthusiastically about TDT.

seemed shambolically put together and sometimes incoherent in general. they should have made it 90 minutes and done it properly especially as they've gone to the trouble of getting them (nearly) all together although Coogan was via zoom from the lakes. No Morris. 3/10.

Shaky

Yeah, while it was nice to hear them again it wasn't much of a program, sadly. The editing was very, very odd and literally cut people off at times. Wark's questions were pretty basic and it all seems rather cramped and rushed.

Povidone

Wasnt there a point in the post-Brass Eye Peado Special witch hunt where Doon Mackichan did an interview with the Mail, basically coming out against the whole production? Struggling to find any evidence online but I have such a strong memory of really despising her for it at the time. May have been a not unusual instance of the Daily Fash taking quotes out of context. Does anyone else remember this or have I been harbouring a false memory for years?

Shaky

Quote from: Povidone on August 19, 2021, 12:41:03 AM
Wasnt there a point in the post-Brass Eye Peado Special witch hunt where Doon Mackichan did an interview with the Mail, basically coming out against the whole production? Struggling to find any evidence online but I have such a strong memory of really despising her for it at the time. May have been a not unusual instance of the Daily Fash taking quotes out of context. Does anyone else remember this or have I been harbouring a false memory for years?

Not sure about an interview but I remember "reports" that she was distraught by the reaction and worried she'd never work again. At the time it came across as wishful thinking and payback on the Mail's part, though, and I don't recall any direct quotes from Doon. From very hazy memory it was the old tabloid "friend" talking about her reaction. I could be wrong, though.

Interesting though that in this reunion show she mentions not leaving the house for 3 weeks.

Povidone

Cheers yeah that seems like the much more reasonable and likely run of events. The hypocritical reaction from the papers at the time was sickening, lots of papparazzi photos of CM just trying to ride his bike, fair fucks to him for not taking a golf club to the cunts, I wouldn't have that kind of restraint.

Going to give this a listen tonight as I'm struggling to sleep and radio 4 has the soporific qualities I need. Hoping they at least allude to the Lee & Herring X Patrick Marber beef.

Icehaven

Found this a bit disappointingly flimsy, particularly with the short running time (and the fact I initially misread the blurb and thought it was a 6 part series. In hindsight that would have been a grind though, particularly sans Morris.) Second the suggestions it should have been longer.

I just listened to it and really can't think of anything else to say about it, which isn't great.