Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:48:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror VI question

Started by madhair60, August 16, 2021, 01:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

When Homer sees the sign "Do not touch - Willie" and repeats "Do not touch Willie - good advice!", does he think it means "Do not touch your cock" or "Do not touch Groundskeeper Willie"?

Pink Gregory

You'd think it'd be a better joke as do not touch willy; it's not exactly character based, but then is that a word that American comedy writers would use?

Otherwise it would imply a familiarity with Groundskeeper Willie that goes beyond his utility as a side character.

Now GREASE ME UP WOMAN

Oh, Nobody

I kinda hate that the canon answer is 'Do not touch (groundskeeper) Willie' as Dan Castellaneta definitely delivers it like 'hands off your cock'

Captain Z

There's a current advert on TV for some kind of washing powder tablets that ends with the line "Always keep away from children", that I have to follow up with Homer's "good advice!".

Billy

It was the episode he says "And that's how Willie waters" that caused childhood me and brother to giggle like schoolchildren.

(because we were)

Thursday

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on August 16, 2021, 03:17:23 PM
I kinda hate that the canon answer is 'Do not touch (groundskeeper) Willie' as Dan Castellaneta definitely delivers it like 'hands off your cock'

Yeah I think Dan interpreted it that way and probably so did the animators.

JamesTC

I refuse to accept some of the explanations in that twitter thread.

He is clearly thinking of penis.

When Scorpio asks Homer if he has ever seen a man say goodbye to a shoe, Homer is reminiscing five seconds earlier when he saw Scorpio say goodbye to his shoes and not some separate occasion in which he saw another man say goodbye to a shoe.

I do love the "you'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel" interpretation. As with josh Weinstein, I'd never thought of it being a reference to when people with long hair have a towel wrapped around their head and Homer misunderstood and thought it was the towel around their waist. It makes an already great line even funnier.

idunnosomename

Do Americans generally know about "willy" as a slang term for genitals? I doubt Homer would read willy on a sign and think of a penis. Nor would Dan?

I mean it's perfectly fine to think it's funny for Homer misreading a sign and accidentally making an innuendo though, that's why I think it's funny.

I mean one thing's sure, it is funny

madhair60

Quote from: JamesTC on August 16, 2021, 08:18:21 PM
When Scorpio asks Homer if he has ever seen a man say goodbye to a shoe, Homer is reminiscing five seconds earlier when he saw Scorpio say goodbye to his shoes and not some separate occasion in which he saw another man say goodbye to a shoe.

Ludicrous. Don't be so fucking stupid.

BJBMK2

Besides, wasn't the shoe exchange with Scorpio, an Albert Brooks ad lib?

The Mollusk

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror III question

In "King Homer", when Marge applies to join the expedition, Burns says "What do you think, Smithers?" and Smithers replies "I think women and seamen don't mix." Burns snaps back "We know what you think!" If Burns already knows what Smithers thinks, why the fuck did he ask in the first place? Poor writing from a frankly overrated and stupid television show.

amateur

Think they were 7 seconds short in that episode so had to put a filler gag in.

Petey Pate

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 16, 2021, 08:37:04 PM
Do Americans generally know about "willy" as a slang term for genitals? I doubt Homer would read willy on a sign and think of a penis. Nor would Dan?

There's a joke in a later episode - Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo - which obviously plays on the double meaning of 'Willie' as 'penis'.

retsuza

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 17, 2021, 06:46:45 AM

In "King Homer", when Marge applies to join the expedition, Burns says "What do you think, Smithers?" and Smithers replies "I think women and seamen don't mix." Burns snaps back "We know what you think!" If Burns already knows what Smithers thinks, why the fuck did he ask in the first place? Poor writing from a frankly overrated and stupid television show.

Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder etc.

Cuellar

When Scorpio asks Homer if he has ever seen a man say goodbye to a shoe, Homer is reminiscing five seconds earlier when he saw Scorpio say goodbye to his shoes and not some separate occasion in which he saw another man say goodbye to a shoe

Wrong

BJBMK2

If we're making this a Simpsons Mysteries thread, I'll take this opportunity to repost my own curiosity. It's less of a character/joke issue, and more to the weird editing of one scene.

QuoteHere's something that always bugged me. Itchy And Scratchy Land, the scene where Bart and Lisa finally convince Homer and Marge to take them to aforementioned park by showing them the leaflet containing Parents Island.

Marge is cooing over "recipe related bumper cars". This is followed by a shot of Bart and Lisa looking at each other in excitement. The shot then lingers for a good second or two, it almost looks like the DVD has paused. Before abruptly cutting to them jumping on the bed shouting "YAYY" as if Homer and Marge have agreed to take them. But nothing of the sort has happened yet.

It's obvious some kind of edit has gone on, but I can't find anything online to see why this might be the case. There's no deleted scene on the DVD that fills up that gap. It might just be a bad edit, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in what is otherwise the tightly edited and constructed sixth season.

JamesTC

How on earth is imagining a separate occasions in which Homer saw somebody said goodbye to a show funnier than Homer reminiscing about something that happened five seconds before. One is a wacky scenario and the other is character humour. There isn't anything wrong with the former, I just find the latter funnier.

I'm willing to go full Glinner on this. Don't care how many family or friends I lose.

JamesTC

Quote from: BJBMK2 on August 17, 2021, 02:42:35 PM
If we're making this a Simpsons Mysteries thread, I'll take this opportunity to repost my own curiosity. It's less of a character/joke issue, and more to the weird editing of one scene.

I thought it was Bart and Lisa looking at each other and both realising they have convinced Marge to take them. It is a little weird but I don't feel like anything has been awkwardly chipped out.

GoblinAhFuckScary

wish i didn't know this. can't have anything these days

madhair60

Quote from: JamesTC on August 17, 2021, 02:46:23 PM
How on earth is imagining a separate occasions in which Homer saw somebody said goodbye to a show funnier than Homer reminiscing about something that happened five seconds before. One is a wacky scenario and the other is character humour. There isn't anything wrong with the former, I just find the latter funnier.

I'm willing to go full Glinner on this. Don't care how many family or friends I lose.

The absurdity of Homer having actually seen such an unlikely, unusual thing before is much funnier and I'm afraid you are going to lose THE LOT.

ramsobot

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 17, 2021, 06:46:45 AM

You may have already arrived at this, but I think this is a subtle "is Smithers gay?" joke. Burns is asking Smithers about Marge but interprets Smithers' answer with a homophone and gives a "oh, right, of course. We all know how you feel" kind of response.

JamesTC

Quote from: madhair60 on August 17, 2021, 02:58:15 PM
The absurdity of Homer having actually seen such an unlikely, unusual thing before is much funnier and I'm afraid you are going to lose THE LOT.

Jokes on you, I don't have a wife and kids to lose.

idunnosomename

I like how fondly he remembers this previous event of a man saying goodbye to a shoe

selectivememory

Yeah, that's how I always took the joke. The other interpretation isn't that funny to me. I'll be your Arty Morty on this.

JamesTC

Quote from: selectivememory on August 17, 2021, 03:05:31 PM
Yeah, that's how I always took the joke. The other interpretation isn't that funny to me. I'll be your Arty Morty on this.

The first YouTube live stream is this Friday. The Simpsons Mess We're In. I have issued an open invitation to Albert Brooks too.

Video Game Fan 2000

Thinking about how the "viking" joke mystery was solved still makes me angry. I will always make me angry. Loved the joke. I loved Ralph getting say something funny and absurd instead of the durr durr I have a learning disability shit he was turning into it.

Literally like if Cleese went on Twitter to say "the joke was the parrot was clearly still alive and the customer was being unreasonable"

dumbfounded that it didn't end up with David Mirkin in stocks on the town square, covered in cartoon tomatoes. Fucking everything has to have a literal meaning and in the canon and lore. Write my buttocks up in TVTropes you joke ruining diseased minds.