Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good and/or interesting Dreamcast games

Started by madhair60, August 17, 2021, 02:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

bought a Dreamcast with HDMI adaptor and GDemu so I can load games onto the SD card. Can anyone recommend anything? basic or obscure as you like. I'm really enjoying it so far - fell right back into Power Stone and the likes of Zombie Revenge. I love the immediacy of them.

Poobum

I liked Chu Chu Rocket, definitely basic, but charming. I liked Shenmue. Really regret getting rid of my Dreamcast, gorgeous little box.

Johnny Textface

Hyrdro Thunder
Jet Set Radio
Ready to Rumble Boxing
Virtua Tennis

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Omikron Nomad Soul. It's the precursor of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. The combat and shooting bits in it are awful, but thankfully aren't very often. The adventure aspects and story are pretty good. It has David Bowie in it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Crumb

Shenmue 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Metropolis Street Racer
Project Justice
Rez
Headhunter
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter 3 3rd strike
House of the dead 2
Dynamite Cop
Virtua Tennis 1 and 2
Crazy Taxi

Basically any Sega arcade port will play nicely and have lots of brightly coloured charm

Never got into them, but I'm pretty sure there was a big shoot em up scene for the dc even after it officially died.

bgmnts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 17, 2021, 02:48:04 PM
Omikron Nomad Soul. It's the precursor of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. The combat and shooting bits in it are awful, but thankfully aren't very often. The adventure aspects and story are pretty good. It has David Bowie in it.

It looks borderline unplayable from the playthrough I've watched!

JamesTC

NoSleep

Sega Bass Fishing, but get an official Sega fishing controller (definitely not one of the third party Fission controllers).

Chu Chu Rocket seconded.

Pink Gregory

Friend of mine used to sing the praises of Toy Commander a lot, but I never found it much cop.  Might have just been the multiplayer though.

Operty1

Bangai-O if you like Japanese robot bullet storm games.

GoblinAhFuckScary

skies of arcadia is wonderful, so wonderful. i fancy giving it a spin on the emulator now

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 17, 2021, 05:57:57 PM
skies of arcadia is wonderful, so wonderful. i fancy giving it a spin on the emulator now

One of my all time favourite RPGs, a joy.

Always wanted to try that Seaman game with the fish that had a human face but it was always too expensive and hard to find as a kid, was it any good?

Ferris

Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead series, was there an F Zero made for it or was that PS1? Get that and all if it's out there.

Ferris

Oh fucking hell, get Rez. That's an amazing game.

crankshaft

Jet Set Radio, Rez, Cosmic Smash, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Ikaruga, Bangai-O, Border Down, The Typing Of The Dead, Mr Driller, Marvel Vs Capcom, Skies Of Arcadia, Puyo Pop Fever, Soul Calibur, Tokyo Bus Guide...frankly you're spoiled for choice.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 17, 2021, 07:23:27 PM
Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead series, was there an F Zero made for it or was that PS1? Get that and all if it's out there.
Was there an F Zero made for it? Mate. Dear oh dear.

For futuristic racers you've got San Francisco Rush 2049 and POD2 and that's about it. I liked the Looney Tunes racer and the Wacky Races one but I might have just been lying to myself because I couldn't play Mario Kart.

I rinsed fuck out Virtua Tennis. The Berserk game is quite good. Really enjoyed Outtrigger. Soul Fighter was panned but I played it a lot. What a lovely console. Mine is in the garage and it's gone piss yellow. Might get some chemicals on it, see if I can rescue it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sonic the character that's a Hedgehdeoge

Chedney Honks

Everyone says how great the Dreamcast was nowadays but as a counterpoint, how shit was the Dreamcast?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh and Code Veronica was a quality Resident Evil game, yeah.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 17, 2021, 09:09:11 PM
Everyone says how great the Dreamcast was nowadays but as a counterpoint, how shit was the Dreamcast?

Was a great console! Everyone was saying how they needed consoles to be more like PC's* so out come Sega first out of the blocks with a fucking internet ready console and a keyboard and a fishing rod and the portal DREAM ON where you could go to the chatroom to shout HAHAH JADE GOODY THICK CUNT DIE DIE DIE DIE and then leather worms to fuck on Worms World Party.

Weird but it was actually better than the Ps1 & 2 for the lifespan of its existence while having its arse kicked by both and having worse games.

*not sure about that actually

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 17, 2021, 09:19:08 PM
Oh and Code Veronica was a quality Resident Evil game, yeah.
Yes. A low quality one.

I was playing the first radirgy on a wii emulator not long ago and was really enjoying that!

Here's the lovely m_knight_jul (remote weapon gunfencer dev) getting a 1cc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiWPgzF79iE

Puzzle bobble/bust a move 4 is on there.
Puzzle Bobble is always fun!

Moj

Giga Wing and Cannon Spike are both very fun and haven't been mentioned yet. Segagaga is probably impenetrable but at least have a Google and read about it if you're unaware, it's quite mad.

Pinball

The beauty of GDEmu is that you can install everything, so do so :-)

A subsequent game from a German indie (after the official DC demise) that beats most shmups ever produced on DC IMO is Sturmwind. Quite sublime. Justifies buying a DC on its own. Soundtrack, gameplay, graphics to die for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zy2k_iwJDY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmwind

Spiteface

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 17, 2021, 09:09:11 PM
Everyone says how great the Dreamcast was nowadays

That's the thing. They say it NOW, but at the time? They shat on it and asked when the PS2 was coming out.

When mini consoles were all the rage, people were saying they wanted a Dreamcast Mini. And I was just thinking  "You lot had your chance in 1999.

Jerzy Bondov

Agreed. Fuck you you're not a hero you didn't stand up for Sega Dreamcast

Beagle 2

I loved the Dreamcast but my favourite games were Hidden and Dangerous and Quake III which let's face it are better enjoyed elsewhere. I also loved it as I sold it to buy food at uni so from a sustenance point of view it was a great system.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 17, 2021, 07:43:57 PM
Was there an F Zero made for it? Mate. Dear oh dear.
Tbf that Sega-made F-Zero for the Gamecube feels a bit like a Dreamcast game

Fry