Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unite thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 17, 2021, 05:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Any other Unite members on here?

If you haven't voted, please do so to stop the absolute wanksock Gerard Coyne from getting in

I can't remember if I voted for Sharon or Steve, not sure which candidate is better but please do you bit to make sure Gerard does not get in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't belong to the union but I would urge anyone who is to avoid the left vote split letting in Coyne. It isn't Anyone But Coyne, it is coalesce around 1 candidate who can clearly defeat him.

I have no idea how Graham can in good conscience still stand given Turner would be a shoe in in a head to head vs Coyne. He is very much the solid bet with broad appeal
.. if not a very exciting candidate.

Pink Gregory

What percentage of Sun readers would be in a Union, much less Unite, given their broadly anti-union politics?

My branch nominated Coyne.  Not that I'm active, but you'd think South Wales would be a bit less that way inclined.

Fully expecting him to win, because I'm still in the mindset of 'the worst possible outcome will always happen'. 

pancreas

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1430136536549543947?s=20

QuoteNEW Unite race: Sharon Graham's victory now being described as "pretty certain" from source in rival camp.

They predict she'll have a majority of 5k to 7k votes.

Extraordinary suff.

Voted for Steve Turner, but I'd take it.

Especially with this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57267389.amp

QuoteLabour funding threatened by two candidates for Unite top job

pancreas

Interesting. Rather polemical and without much positive to propose. I would be interested to hear a rebuttal.

For example, you're only as good a negotiator as the industrial action muscle you draw on. Charges of treachery need to placed in that context.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on August 30, 2021, 02:15:17 PM
Interesting. Rather polemical and without much positive to propose. I would be interested to hear a rebuttal.

For example, you're only as good a negotiator as the industrial action muscle you draw on. Charges of treachery need to placed in that context.

Yes, the scare quotes around 'the Corbyite "left"' are a bit of a red flag.

Also, without seeing the rest of that Graun article, the extract could be interpreted as a warning to lefties not to think Graham's election will be a panacea rather than as a reassurance to employers. It all depends on who wrote it.

Buelligan

All very interesting, given this -

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 17, 2021, 05:38:58 PM

and this and the widely circulated and now utterly discredited opinion that Sharon Graham should've stood down to let the leftist with a chance have a clear field.  It makes one consider how many people didn't vote for her because they didn't want to let in Coyne (and were told that doing so, would).  Makes you think about how the commentariat, the MSM, the elite, seems to be losing its grip on the electorate.  All pretty interesting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

However spare a thought for Beckett who did actually stand down. All those who were using the same argument to deactivate the Beckett campaign suddenly stopped once he did, which again adds to the sense that Graham isn't seen as a threat. Even Turner came across as a sort of puddingier union man stereotype that might make a bit of noise but also wouldn't be involved in any sort of genuine reform, certainly no visionary.

Ultimately you can tell by how worried the right are how effective for the left any winning candidate will be.

Buelligan

Beckett was targeted first and sadly gave those seeking to control the election to suit themselves the first leverage point.  Which, IMO, because of all the bollocks talked about the contest, forced him to step down and it shouldn't have.  Until the left stops tolerating centrist gatekeepers wringing their pearls in our faces, our choices will be limited like this.  At least Graham's election indicates that a high percentage of voters are no longer being fooled.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 30, 2021, 04:30:49 PM
However spare a thought for Beckett who did actually stand down. All those who were using the same argument to deactivate the Beckett campaign suddenly stopped once he did, which again adds to the sense that Graham isn't seen as a threat. Even Turner came across as a sort of puddingier union man stereotype that might make a bit of noise but also wouldn't be involved in any sort of genuine reform, certainly no visionary.

Ultimately you can tell by how worried the right are how effective for the left any winning candidate will be.

Ah, Beckett... a man who wanted to waste millions of pounds of Unite members' money on a TV station (one which, I guarantee, would have made GB News look slick and polished) and is more interested in playing politics at Westminster than he would have been representing the members. I'm glad Sharon Graham won (believe it or not!) - someone who can and will look out for workers, rather than playing politics and wasting money on vanity projects.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Vyvian Withnail on August 30, 2021, 08:47:52 PM
Ah, Beckett... a man who wanted to waste millions of pounds of Unite members' money on a TV station (one which, I guarantee, would have made GB News look slick and polished) and is more interested in playing politics at Westminster than he would have been representing the members. I'm glad Sharon Graham won (believe it or not!) - someone who can and will look out for workers, rather than playing politics and wasting money on vanity projects.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 30, 2021, 10:04:26 PM

What?! What is that even supposed to mean?! Tell me exactly what is wrong with what I said.

All Surrogate

pancreas

Email just in from Sharon Graham.

Dear Pancreas,

I was recently privileged to be elected by you, our members, to be Unite General Secretary on a clear mandate for positive change.

Unite members face a critical time. Many employers are emboldened. Tactics such as 'Fire and Rehire' are becoming increasingly common, jobs are under threat, inflation is rising and pay is being suppressed.

I have been elected to do what it says on the trade union tin – fight for jobs, pay and conditions. That is exactly what I will be doing.

It will be the workplace over Westminster. Now is the time to build strong, effective trade unions.

The task of delivering on my commitments will begin immediately. I have clearly set out my reform agenda within the six sections of my Manifesto which I have laid out here:

One of the biggest tasks facing me is to improve our service to the membership.

On Monday, I am launching my new General Secretary's Member Hotline. Members will be able to contact my office at any time between 8am-8pm (Monday to Thursday) and 8am-6pm (Friday), through this Freephone number: XXXX

I have also made other clear promises to deliver transparency, improve our service and hopefully make life a bit easier for all members, including:

·       Making proposals to freeze the cost of Union membership for at least 12 months.

·       Starting a review of member subscription rates.

·       Beginning a comprehensive review of our legal and marketing services.

·        Developing a new Unite Member Guarantee, which will set practical standards for the service that Unite members can expect.

·        Driving our focus onto the industrial, bargaining agenda.

·        Making sure that equality issues will be on the bargaining table.

·        Putting my expenses online.

·        Ensuring we have the resources to deliver with more support for Reps and Bargaining, including forensic accounting and the hiring of a new Finance Director.

As I have said throughout my campaign, the absolute priority for me will be supporting our members in the workplace and wider community.

This is particularly so for those facing attacks to their jobs, pay and conditions by bad bosses. Within 7 days of being elected General Secretary I brought together all of our Shop Stewards and Reps who are currently in dispute so that I could personally ensure that they had every support from their Union. I will not apologise for defending workers and will use all avenues to do this.

Over the forthcoming period I will begin the task of building a Union ready for the challenges that lie ahead for the future and undertake a comprehensive review of all Unite operations to make sure that our structures are member focused.

Finally, now is not the time to batten down the hatches. Workers cannot be made to pay for the Covid crisis. Together, we will do everything we can to ensure this does not happen.

In solidarity,

Sharon Graham

General Secretary