Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs then

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks! From a quick Google Crown Posada is the record player pub I was thinking of, acquired taste?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Crown Posada well known and central, and let's politely say it attracts a range of people. For some that's fine, others might find it a bit of an in your face venue. Beers are good there, venue is quirky and also social, I'd recommend but it won't be everyone's thing. Probably a bit more chill outside weekends.

Blinder Data

Quote from: thelittlemango on September 06, 2021, 12:15:09 AM
Headed to Newcastle next weekend, where should I be drinking? Heard about some really old covid pit with a record player in it and also remember seeing some meetup going to some cool looking taproom place with some nice green space outside but that's it.

Not particularly characterful but if you're hungry and on the Quayside, consider the Broad Chare. I've only been the once but those crispy pigs' ears live long in the memory.

---

I enjoyed this today, a new book of interesting stories of London pubs: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/sep/05/lager-pub-special-london-st-pauls-bars-boozers-book-secret

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh yes, should have shared that yesterday. I'm in the market for a cheap copy of that book. Looks to approach the subject slightly differently, especially with a wider range of venues as mentioned (Although tbh, I'm not expecting any new ones to be unearthed).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

kalowski

Reminds me of an old Crock comic strip.
"Commandant Crock has just won this week's suggestion competition."
"What did he suggest?"
"That he wins."

George Oscar Bluth II

Pretty clear that all of the pubs I know of that haven't come back post-covid are either free houses or part of small chains, which is very sad indeed.

Fr.Bigley

Pub with the nicest views, I'm plumping for the Cow and Calf, Ilkley.

George Oscar Bluth II

I'm gonna say the Roebuck in Richmond, an unremarkable enough pub but on a nice day you can take your pint across the road, sit on one of the benches and look at this view: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/turner-england-richmond-hill-on-the-prince-regents-birthday-n00502

With added rugby stadium and Heathrow Airport obviously.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Views, eh?

Plenty of Thameside London pubs. Grapes, Mayflower, Dove, Captain Kidd. And some shittier pubs that just happen to be by the river.

Funnily enough, from recollection York doesn't have any riverside pubs with knockout views despite a beautiful river and beautiful surroundings. The ensemble of buildings conspires to prevent almost any standout Landmark being visible, other than the water and/or one side of a bridge. Even the Masons Arms beer garden hardly emphasises its great location.

For rural scenes, Kirkstile Inn at Crummock Water is knockout outstanding. I would wager one of the best in England.

The Crown in Middlesmoor similarly really lovely Nidderdale views. Old Horns Inn at High Bradfield is a dull pub but the view of the valley is a real peach.

For city views, The Blake in Sheffield. T-Anker in Prague. Free Trade Inn, for views of Newcastle and Gateshead.

More from abroad: Brauhaus Tegernsee by Lake Tegernsee, German alps in the background. Chata pod Rysmi in Slovakia which is 2500m up a mountain and still has tapped beer delivered on foot by volunteers. The view is a huge crack down an enormous alpine valley.

Norton Canes

The Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale, I guess. Has spectacular views of, er, Langdale.

The White Lion in Bristol is a pretty underwhelming pub but the view from the terrace of the Suspension Bridge and the river below is one of my favourites in the city:

The Crumb

The Crossed Guns near Bath has some lovely seats right on the Avon.

Despite its name, the Cellar Bar in Swanage has fantastic sea views

The pub on the side of Alexandra Palace has a great view over London,but you might as well just byob and sit in the park.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, the last sentence sums up my views on the matter. Clearly doesn't hurt to have an extra string to its bow, but if I want great views I'll just go where they are, pub or not.

The pub is the inside, everything else is patches of grass or courtyards with furniture in.*

*apart from ruin bars where often the two blend into one.

flotemysost

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 07, 2021, 02:54:05 PM
Views, eh?

Plenty of Thameside London pubs. Grapes, Mayflower, Dove, Captain Kidd. And some shittier pubs that just happen to be by the river.

The Angel (between Bermondsey and Rotherhithe) is worth a shout here too, it's a fairly standard Sam Smith pub but it happens to be right on the bank, giving a perfect view of the sunset over the Gherkin and all that. It doesn't actually have a garden, so to drink outside punters don't really have any choice other than to spill out onto the wall and the public benches outside - meaning no booking required (if you don't mind potentially having to stand).

And if you walk a bit further up - past the aforementioned Mayflower too - you've got the Salt Quay, Greene King jobbie with lots of seating right by the river, decent view though I didn't think it was an especially memorable pub otherwise.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 08, 2021, 06:01:22 PM
Well, the last sentence sums up my views on the matter. Clearly doesn't hurt to have an extra string to its bow, but if I want great views I'll just go where they are, pub or not.

See the advantage of a pub with a view in our austere, costcutting age is: toilets

Shoulders?-Stomach!

True. To compensate for my casual comments I've decided to go to a beer garden this lunchtime as penance. (Duck&Drake, Leeds).

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 09, 2021, 12:06:49 PM
True. To compensate for my casual comments I've decided to go to a beer garden this lunchtime as penance. (Duck&Drake, Leeds).

The mucky duck eh, they still charging nearly 6 quid for an estrella?

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on September 08, 2021, 06:47:24 PM
See the advantage of a pub with a view in our austere, costcutting age is: toilets

Incidentally, my Wetherspoons boycott absolutely does not stretch to stopping using them as public toilets, which I will continue to do.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 09, 2021, 02:16:54 PM
The mucky duck eh, they still charging nearly 6 quid for an estrella?

Wouldn't care to find out. Ales are at middling prices for the centre though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

First walk home from the office since day before 1st lockdown, March 2020 and I end up in the same place, Cardigan Arms.

Massive thunderstorm outside (although they are mostly different shades of massive).

The snug room with the yellow walls and red bench seats was becoming my home from home. Pint of Dissolution IPA in hand.

king_tubby

Nice. If I wasn't trying to digest the fantastic lunch I had at the Owl and it wasn't raining and I didn't have to force a five year old to eat his dinner, I'd be very tempted to go down right now.

We've been down the Kirkstall Brewery Taproom a couple of times recently for pizza and beer. Very odd inside, he's just thrown a load of his pub memorabilia at it with what seems to be no real thought. I enjoyed looking through the windows at the source of my beer though. Also the pizzas are cracking.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's an interesting hybrid of their trad pubs and exposed industrial taproom. You wouldn't think it would work yet it sort of does. Quite like it.

Pizza pretty decent though the general standard of pizza in Leeds is now such that anything less than a 90 second clay oven job accredited by agriturismo will do. Had a fantastic one at the LIBF and that was just at a street food vendor. Restaurants have had to up their game a bit. Amazed Pizza Express still do business anymore tbh.

king_tubby

Were you in Leeds when Box Pizza at the town end of Burley Road was about? They forced everyone to raise their game, then got binned off cos the landlord could get more rent out of fucking Dominos. Shouldn't have been allowed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes briefly, went there a few times though wasn't wowed. It was a big deal though, wasn't it, now I think about it. Everyone went on about it. General standard must have been a shade lower.

Another one that bit the dust was the pizza oven at Simpsons supermarket on Dock st. The quite small boutique supermarket that was a video rental store and a pizza place.

Which brings it fully round to pubs as when I lived at Clarence Dock we would go to the Adelphi for one, get a pizza and grab a Weihenstephaner to take back to the flat.

The heady mid-crash days.

king_tubby

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 09, 2021, 05:04:09 PM
First walk home from the office since day before 1st lockdown, March 2020 and I end up in the same place, Cardigan Arms.

Massive thunderstorm outside (although they are mostly different shades of massive).

The snug room with the yellow walls and red bench seats was becoming my home from home. Pint of Dissolution IPA in hand.

You're a bad influence, I just did the same after picking up some bhajis.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: king_tubby on September 10, 2021, 06:10:53 PM
You're a bad influence, I just did the same after picking up some bhajis.

I went in Tuesday, kebab night lads! with the quiz, spent the night on lime and soda. felt like being a greedy bastard so went to viva cuba next door for a quick tapas.

king_tubby

Only done the quiz once. Crushed all opposition, so I never need to do it again.

Not that keen on Viva Cuba - another institution of pre-Leeds food revolution that hasn't upped its game to match the competition, a la Fuji Hiro and Little Tokyo.

Fr.Bigley

I dine at fuji twice a month, best Japanese place in town, unpretentious Japanese canteen style fayre. Best yakisoba I've had this side of Tokyo.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Gravediggers

Fucking awesome pub