Author Topic: Pubs then  (Read 8481 times)

Re: Pubs then
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2021, 10:58:28 PM »
Latter is Wylam taproom. Nice beers and venue but terrible acoustics in there.

Can highly recommend Mean Eyed Cat near the University and Free Trade Inn down the quayside to Ouseburn.

I also liked Crown Posada though that might not be everyone's thing.

Heard the following are good:

Town Mouse, Carriage, Cumberland Arms, Schooner (Gateshead).

Tried the Free Trade Inn today on your recommendation, lovely place with great beers and a wonderful view, could have stayed there for hours.

Moved on to the Tyne Bar after as they had half price vegan toasties in the van outside, another wonderful place (albeit less artistan), proper locals music pub with a great sheltered garden with stage, decent beers and and diverse crowd.

Want to check out The Bridge Tavern and a couple of others tomorrow

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2021, 11:17:13 PM »
Give the Wobbly Duck a go.

« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »
Missed out on that one, popped into the Mean-Eyed Cat but on a Monday daytime the vibe was a bit off with a loud guy holding court about his disdain for vaccination, will definitely go back in the evening next time I'm in Newcastle as the beer selection looked great. Instead went to the Bridge Hotel, lovely location and excellent cask selection, peaceful place to while away a couple of hours.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • My meatus is beyond compare
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »
loud guy holding court about his disdain for vaccination

This seems extraordinarily non-canonical for a sour beers clique near a uni.

« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2021, 05:14:06 PM »
This seems extraordinarily non-canonical for a sour beers clique near a uni.

There was a table of friendly looking guys supping their beers and this guy sat on his own swivelling around to shout about jabs, the nice barman looked apologetic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »
A very similar experience at the normally ludicrously genteel Hop & Vine in Hull a few months ago.

Two swivel-eyed young men not obeying the rules (the signposted rules everyone by then had got used to) then kicking up a fuss when asked to follow them. Later on making comments which required the owner Tony to extraordinarily tactfully put them in their place. Everyone else there was cringing.

Hazards of any pub I suppose. Beer Monster culture is not without its libertarian nutters.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
I'm in Newcastle so all suggestions noted. Tbh I'm not entirely sure I'll make it far from the Grainger Market as they have all the food bases covered, a small brewery tap, pants shitting coffee stalls and a well tended public toilet. Sadly the brewery tap claims it will only sell you two pints in 6 thirds to circumvent pub licensing. The free trade inn seems a long way from here right now (less than a half hour walk)

Crown Posada looks the nuts but Google says it's closed

« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »
Yeah Crown Posada is definitely still closed sadly, hope it comes back.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2021, 07:56:37 PM »
Strikes me as the sort of place that is basically impossible to run during a pandemic but I had hoped it would have reopened by now.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
I went to the free trade but the garden was full and you couldn't approach the bar, which wasn't what I was looking for tonight, so swerved it. Wandered back along the river and against instinct decided to try the By the River Brew Co. It won't be making any of my beer, pub or value charts but it is a lovely spot for a beer in the evening in between the tyne bridge and the swing bridge. It has a slightly odd pricing structure with their flagship craft beer (fine) coming in at an eye watering 6.50 (4.2%), but guest ipa's at 7£ and 7.50£ for 5.5 and 6% respectively and their FOURTEEN % imp stout is £6 for a half. There are places along here with worse views and worse selections of beer by far so it gets a tourist thumbs up from me 

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2021, 10:40:03 PM »
Second pub is the Bridge Hotel. Decent pub, great selection of cask, typical prices. Tonight appears to be the AGM for CAMRA which is quite a big deal in here as they're almost entirely cask, not craft. It's not a great advertisment for modern CAMRA but probably an accurate one, with a dozen or two penny-pinching Clarksons squinting at beer pumps and harrumphing. I don't want to come across as ungrateful as these fuckers are partly responsible for pubs like this existing, but bloody hell they're the worst 

The barman is the manager of the Crown Posada and he says it will be open in about a month after a bit of tlc

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2021, 10:51:32 PM »
Sweet

« Reply #342 on: Yesterday at 12:08:25 AM »
Second pub is the Bridge Hotel. Decent pub, great selection of cask, typical prices. Tonight appears to be the AGM for CAMRA which is quite a big deal in here as they're almost entirely cask, not craft. It's not a great advertisment for modern CAMRA but probably an accurate one, with a dozen or two penny-pinching Clarksons squinting at beer pumps and harrumphing. I don't want to come across as ungrateful as these fuckers are partly responsible for pubs like this existing, but bloody hell they're the worst 

The barman is the manager of the Crown Posada and he says it will be open in about a month after a bit of tlc

I had suspicions it would be like that in the evening, in the daytime it was a hub with all sorts, builders who had finished a shift, international students, people staying for the weekend and a smattering of thirsty locals. Decent pub with great selection of cask sums it up, seemed to have about 10-15 on offer.

Also went to By The River Brew Co. and noticed the same thing, lovely views and very pleasant to watch the world go buy while surrounded by amazing bridges but the beers were almost beyond London prices.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #343 on: Yesterday at 07:12:42 AM »
I asked if they were in regularly as a group and the barman suggested this was unusual, on account of the meeting. So I think the clientele remains fairly mixed on a typical night. They don't pander to CAMRA and don't offer the CAMRA discount. Which is great. Bonus points for being a good pub that also shows football.

Tags: