Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs then

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 06, 2021, 07:38:01 AM
Latter is Wylam taproom. Nice beers and venue but terrible acoustics in there.

Can highly recommend Mean Eyed Cat near the University and Free Trade Inn down the quayside to Ouseburn.

I also liked Crown Posada though that might not be everyone's thing.

Heard the following are good:

Town Mouse, Carriage, Cumberland Arms, Schooner (Gateshead).

Tried the Free Trade Inn today on your recommendation, lovely place with great beers and a wonderful view, could have stayed there for hours.

Moved on to the Tyne Bar after as they had half price vegan toasties in the van outside, another wonderful place (albeit less artistan), proper locals music pub with a great sheltered garden with stage, decent beers and and diverse crowd.

Want to check out The Bridge Tavern and a couple of others tomorrow

pancreas

Give the Wobbly Duck a go.

Missed out on that one, popped into the Mean-Eyed Cat but on a Monday daytime the vibe was a bit off with a loud guy holding court about his disdain for vaccination, will definitely go back in the evening next time I'm in Newcastle as the beer selection looked great. Instead went to the Bridge Hotel, lovely location and excellent cask selection, peaceful place to while away a couple of hours.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteloud guy holding court about his disdain for vaccination

This seems extraordinarily non-canonical for a sour beers clique near a uni.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 14, 2021, 04:11:15 PM
This seems extraordinarily non-canonical for a sour beers clique near a uni.

There was a table of friendly looking guys supping their beers and this guy sat on his own swivelling around to shout about jabs, the nice barman looked apologetic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A very similar experience at the normally ludicrously genteel Hop & Vine in Hull a few months ago.

Two swivel-eyed young men not obeying the rules (the signposted rules everyone by then had got used to) then kicking up a fuss when asked to follow them. Later on making comments which required the owner Tony to extraordinarily tactfully put them in their place. Everyone else there was cringing.

Hazards of any pub I suppose. Beer Monster culture is not without its libertarian nutters.

phes

I'm in Newcastle so all suggestions noted. Tbh I'm not entirely sure I'll make it far from the Grainger Market as they have all the food bases covered, a small brewery tap, pants shitting coffee stalls and a well tended public toilet. Sadly the brewery tap claims it will only sell you two pints in 6 thirds to circumvent pub licensing. The free trade inn seems a long way from here right now (less than a half hour walk)

Crown Posada looks the nuts but Google says it's closed

Yeah Crown Posada is definitely still closed sadly, hope it comes back.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Strikes me as the sort of place that is basically impossible to run during a pandemic but I had hoped it would have reopened by now.

phes

I went to the free trade but the garden was full and you couldn't approach the bar, which wasn't what I was looking for tonight, so swerved it. Wandered back along the river and against instinct decided to try the By the River Brew Co. It won't be making any of my beer, pub or value charts but it is a lovely spot for a beer in the evening in between the tyne bridge and the swing bridge. It has a slightly odd pricing structure with their flagship craft beer (fine) coming in at an eye watering 6.50 (4.2%), but guest ipa's at 7£ and 7.50£ for 5.5 and 6% respectively and their FOURTEEN % imp stout is £6 for a half. There are places along here with worse views and worse selections of beer by far so it gets a tourist thumbs up from me 

phes

Second pub is the Bridge Hotel. Decent pub, great selection of cask, typical prices. Tonight appears to be the AGM for CAMRA which is quite a big deal in here as they're almost entirely cask, not craft. It's not a great advertisment for modern CAMRA but probably an accurate one, with a dozen or two penny-pinching Clarksons squinting at beer pumps and harrumphing. I don't want to come across as ungrateful as these fuckers are partly responsible for pubs like this existing, but bloody hell they're the worst 

The barman is the manager of the Crown Posada and he says it will be open in about a month after a bit of tlc

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phes on September 15, 2021, 10:40:03 PM
Second pub is the Bridge Hotel. Decent pub, great selection of cask, typical prices. Tonight appears to be the AGM for CAMRA which is quite a big deal in here as they're almost entirely cask, not craft. It's not a great advertisment for modern CAMRA but probably an accurate one, with a dozen or two penny-pinching Clarksons squinting at beer pumps and harrumphing. I don't want to come across as ungrateful as these fuckers are partly responsible for pubs like this existing, but bloody hell they're the worst 

The barman is the manager of the Crown Posada and he says it will be open in about a month after a bit of tlc

I had suspicions it would be like that in the evening, in the daytime it was a hub with all sorts, builders who had finished a shift, international students, people staying for the weekend and a smattering of thirsty locals. Decent pub with great selection of cask sums it up, seemed to have about 10-15 on offer.

Also went to By The River Brew Co. and noticed the same thing, lovely views and very pleasant to watch the world go buy while surrounded by amazing bridges but the beers were almost beyond London prices.

phes

I asked if they were in regularly as a group and the barman suggested this was unusual, on account of the meeting. So I think the clientele remains fairly mixed on a typical night. They don't pander to CAMRA and don't offer the CAMRA discount. Which is great. Bonus points for being a good pub that also shows football.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

King Charles I and Queens Head near Kings Cross are lovely pubs. Was there this weekend. Both peculiarly reasonable value too. Neither have that slightly antsy station crowd either.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yep the Queen's Head is definitely my go to for drinks in the vicinity of King's Cross, always a great selection, even the lagers are interesting AND on a Sunday afternoon there's someone playing the piano. Good vibe.

jobotic

I used to go to St Pancras a lot pre-Covid, for meetings that are now done on Teams. Hope to be able to go regulalrly again one day, so will give that a go. Looks great, and a bit less of a walk than The Lexington.

iamcoop

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2021, 07:56:37 PM
Strikes me as the sort of place that is basically impossible to run during a pandemic but I had hoped it would have reopened by now.

I believe they're still trying to find someone to run it.

It got bought out by the same guys that own Wylam and The Bridge Tavern as well as a few other places up here.

I know a couple of people who were approached to run it but as there's very little scope to do anything with it (which is fine, it's an institution and doesn't need to change), it's not the most attractive proposition for someone looking for an exciting change of venue or new challenge.

Edit: Scratch that, saw a post above saying someone has taken it on now. Which is nice.

amateur

Quote from: phes on September 15, 2021, 02:24:39 PM
I'm in Newcastle so all suggestions noted. Tbh I'm not entirely sure I'll make it far from the Grainger Market as they have all the food bases covered, a small brewery tap, pants shitting coffee stalls and a well tended public toilet. Sadly the brewery tap claims it will only sell you two pints in 6 thirds to circumvent pub licensing. The free trade inn seems a long way from here right now (less than a half hour walk)

Crown Posada looks the nuts but Google says it's closed

The Old George in the city centre used to do a lovely (and rare) pint of draught Bass, which was reason enough for me to go there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Out to Dublin again this week but also Killarney, Tralee and Dingle. I think I've got a fair idea where to go for yer usual creamy pints of bliss in folk music filled brown rooms but have a crack at a recommendation please, there are often venues I've managed to miss. Happy to consider craft taprooms for a change of speed or weird offbeat places.

Calistan

I can't remember if it's on your list but I always enjoyed going into John Fallon's Capstan Bar. Cosy place that is basically one room. There's a snug, stove and pint after pint of great Guinness. It's slightly out of the way, not too far from the Teeling distillery, but definitely worth a look if you're in that direction. Barmen are great too.

The Long Hall is probably on your site, a wonderful place. I was actually in Dublin the same day you were tweeting about Mary's Bar and Hardware and hadn't heard of it before so we toon a trip over. Sadly the inside was packed so we had to make do with seat outside and a lacklustre pint of Guinness. Looked very nice inside to be fair but to compensate we went to the tried and trusted Long Hall. Glorious bar and always guaranteed a superb Guinness. Every other pub was packed out because of the All Ireland Final but thankfully this place had a few empty seats.

The Confession Box (reopened recently after a year and a half shut) is another good one, as is Hughes Bar on Chancery Street. Absolutely loved this bar but it was number five or six on a pub crawl so that may have influenced my enjoyment of the place. Fuckloads of interesting photos on the wall and they also serve a good Beamish.

Bowes, The Cobblestone and obviously the Gravediggers are my main priorities on my next visit. Two years ago I had the chance to go into the Gravediggers (we went for a wander round the gardens and Glasnevin cemetery) but avoided it since I went on some dates with one of the barmaids there and wanted to avoid any awkwardness. Ridiculous. Anyway she doesn't work there anymore so I'll be going straight there next time and horsing the Guinness into me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Guinness in the Gravediggers is like Dairy Milk. Fantastic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All that's out of commission tonight anyway, not much chance of a table as a solo customer in a city centre Dublin pub during Covid rules as I found out a few weeks back.

Went to The Goose Tavern which was normal but in lots of really nice ways. Reminiscent of many neighbourhood corner boozers in England actually. Red walls and upholstery, warm lamps, wood fittings, leaded windows with frosted glass.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, I'm in absolute bumfuck nowhere in West Kerry at the brewpub/inn Tig Bhric. It is absolutely fantastic. The high quality promotional photography overdoes it and makes it look way more corporate than it actually is. This is a lovely homely inn with a Gasthof type feel. Woodstrip cabin type arched ceiling, large fireplace, cushions and benches. Trad brews that are spot on. Only opened in 2008 but restoring my faith in humanity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Foxy Johns and Currans in Dingle are similar in that they are both pub/hardware stores but the former is friendly. Barman promised 'ruthless craic' but that was actually to be found at Currans. Go there armed with a rhino hide.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 08:16:00 AM
Mother Shipton Inn, Knaresborough
https://maps.app.goo.gl/bZ4ehvJFoEKVjmL87

Similarly well sorted for all seasons. Table opposite the bar by the fire is cosy as fuck in winter. Decking outside is well done and covid gave them the chance to make further improvements.

I was there a fortnight ago, first time in seven years. Still no Theakston's Old Peculier, but they do excellent pub grub now-a-days, even a tad fancy. I still have not figured out which table used to belong to Guy Fawkes. It is a very pleasant pub.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 01, 2021, 01:54:14 PM
Hales Bar if you like old world stuff. Still gaslit. Fairly pricey though.

Harrogate Tap at the station used to be alright but Brexit has hurt their beer offerings.

I was in Hales last week. There was a bloke with a guitar trying to tune his sound equipment, startling everyone four or five times with abrupt, deafening noise. Made me very angry.

At the Harrogate Tap, I had a pint of Yonder stout that cost me ten quid.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote. Still no Theakston's Old Peculier, but they do excellent pub grub now-a-days, even a tad fancy

During the substantial meal era they did a beef sandwich with ciabatta that came with a pot of gravy and it was unbelievably, engulfingly rich and delicious.

Johnny Foreigner

A very good thread this is.

If you are ever in Berwick-upon-Tweed, try the Brewer's Arms. They have a very conspicuous doorway that makes them impossible to miss. I think they are an independent pub, offering simple but wholesome fare in a traditional, unassuming setting.

The Castle Hotel by the railway station used to have an incredibly cosy bar, full of fluffy carpets and old armchairs, but since the revamp, it has just been sterilised and filled with Ikea furniture on linoleum boards. A great shame.

Across the water in Spittal, there is the Albion Inn, which has neither food nor hot drinks but provides a welcoming haven for the wintry wanderer.

Avoid The Leaping Salmon, a Stonegate pub by the bridge that has really gone to the dogs since Wetherspoon's sold it off, and that is saying something.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Surprised you didn't mention the Free Trade Inn, that looks a real good borders boozer. Not everyone's taste, I dare say.

George Oscar Bluth II

Central London pubs post covid seem to all charge at least £5 a pint, even for ale. Distressing times.