Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rough As Fuck Pubs

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, August 18, 2021, 10:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 18, 2021, 09:39:32 PM
When I went to get my Covid jab I cycled past The Goodyear Social Club, I'd have thought it was another long closed pub rotting away, never to be repurposed but the doors were open.

That is actually all that remains of the Goodyear Tyres factory that was on that site (now the Great Western Retail Park). It closed in 1979 after the closure of the former Rootes Group Linwood Lane factory and was left derelict for 15 years until it was flattened to build the retail park.

I think the Morton's Rolls factory was built on the club's sports ground.

gilbertharding

It's funny but when I was a teenager I thought that The Lord Protector in Huntingdon was the last word in rough pubs. Obviously that was wrong then, but it looks quite nice now.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: king_tubby on August 20, 2021, 02:38:17 PM
Have any of our Leeds contingent been to the Dalesman in West Park? Not really on my radar but it looks like the kind of place that has a dog on the roof for security..

I went when I was a wee lad with my old man. Remember I being a bit scruffy but not particularly rough. I assume it's gone now?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 04:19:29 PM
Seems to be fairly well rated, possibly on account of a recent refurb which while obnoxiously generic and unimaginative has at least smartened it up. Have only walked past, not been in. Looks pretty much safe.

^^

monkfromhavana

Was a proper estate pub on one of the godforsaken estates that are right on the edge of town. Only ever went by it in the car and had no desire to ever alight and go in. My hometown (20000 people ish) at one stage had at least 35 pubs (not including various social clubs as well), so that's one pub for 570 people. Can anyone beat the ration on that?

Is it illegal for pubs in Scotland to have windows?

Sebastian Cobb

I'd have to go in that because working out where one floor begins and another ends is doing my nut in.

You've reminded me of a place a mate worked, rather than being a flat roofed scheme pub, it had a wedge in the roof that made it look like a Methodist church, yet in fact it held a Coral bookies.

And yes, named after a euphemism for depression.

Jerzy Bondov

My local flat roof pub, as I remember it from childhood. It's still a pub but one of the bars is now a decent Chinese restaurant. In fact it's not rough, it's just alright.

flotemysost

I was thinking about this place the other day, never went in but walked past it many times - The Halfway House Bar on Holloway Road:

I actually doubt it qualifies as ROUGH AS FUCK - as far as I can tell it's just a cheap Irish pub in a central location, probably got its fair share of local alkies propping it up I'm sure, but some of the ponciest suburban gastropubs I've worked in have done as well. Not all of the Google reviews paint it in a very flattering light, though

QuoteDean B
a year ago

Not the kind of place you want to spend much time in. Beers are cheap but there is a clear reason for that

Steven Greenhow
2 years ago

Everyone's stoned or drunk

Lorraine Noone
2 years ago

The clientele here resemble the cast from One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 22, 2021, 03:52:45 PM
Any pub with a violent-sounding name tends to be rough, I find. "The Fighting Cocks" is the only example I can think of now but that name is also pretty common so I imagine there are exceptions.

It's about as far from ROUGH AS FUCK as you can get, but there's a King's Head near my parents which, as part of a revamp under new ownership, changed the sign from a pretty standard portrait of a monarch to an surprisingly gory depiction of a beheading, always found that a bit unnecessary.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Much better than a portrait of any of the fuckers.

Yussef Dent

Quick Sheaf View update and it looks like promising news:

"So late today we have achieved another major step and it seems the damage may not be as bad as first thought. This is still going to be weeks in the making but we are closer."

amateur

The Charlie Chaplin, Elephant & Castle

An absolute menace of a pub, just off the roundabout (now peninsula), and thankfully for all concerned they've knocked the fucker down.

Sold bottles of Holsten Pils - whilst I adore these, it's always a sign of a rough pub.

Shitloads of fruities, pool table in state of terror, palpable anxiety. Drank there once and never again, sensational.

buzby

A lot of the 1930s 1950s & 1960s 'slum clearance' council estate pubs in Liverpool are closed and/or demolished now. Three notable examples near where I used to live in Croxteth were the Red Rum

the Oyster

and the Stonebridge Inn (a former British Legion club - like to think the architect wanted to remind the former servicemen of the bunkers they used to inhabit):

The Lobster is still hanging in there though:

Al of the above were (still are, in the Lobster's case) magnets for drug dealers, gangs and the shootings that follow them.

In their place, we are starting to see empty shops being converted into 'wine bars'. Two of these which fit the thread perfectly are the Abbey Road (note that the area has no connection to the Beatles, a monastery or a road of that name) that was built in part of a former Co-Op, and is a regular haunt of the police, including two shootings there a few years ago:

and the Oasis Sports Bar in Fazakerley:

This was a former 'Polski Sklep' in the middle of a small row of shops (there's a chippy on one side of it and a hairdressers on the other). It opened just before the first lockdown and already looks very shabby as the black paint they used on the old shopfront aluminium windowframes and door has already started to peel off.

Sebastian Cobb

At a glance that Oasis bar looks more like a massage parlour than a pub. I wonder if they offer 'extras' with a pint that go beyond nuts and pickled eggs.

The Stonebridge reminds me of a single-story version of The Rowantree in Aberdeen, I always wondered why it was so tall assuming perhaps there was a long-closed lounge upstairs or something but looking at the side entrance perhaps they were flats? I pity whomever lives above it. I've been in once or twice when playing darts, like a lot of these places they're just well-worn and empty these days much like the few remaining soaks that frequent them.

They might've had rooms upstairs to get round old licensing laws that meant that 'hotels' could open at times (on Sundays etc.) when ordinary pubs couldn't. I think if they offered 'food and accommodation' they benefited from a more generous licensing regime in Scotland, until maybe the 90s or so, when they relaxed licensing laws. There certainly used to be quite a lot of small hotels in parts of the central belt where it was unlikely that anyone would choose to take a relaxing mini-break.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 27, 2021, 10:48:48 AM
The Stonebridge reminds me of a single-story version of The Rowantree in Aberdeen, I always wondered why it was so tall assuming perhaps there was a long-closed lounge upstairs or something but looking at the side entrance perhaps they were flats? I pity whomever lives above it.
It looks like there may be 6 flats above that pub, by the looks of it (the building's address is Rowan Court, 654 King St). The entrance for the flats is on the left of the pub entrance, the stairwell round the side looks like a fire escape.

Flat A takes up the whole the second floor and is up for sale for £90k. I presume it was originally the landlord's flat when the place was built. The first floor looks like 5 1-bedroom flats/bedsits (it may have originally been a function room?). If my dad had made a different choice, I would have grown up in a similar flat - before I was born, my dad worked as a barman and was offered a job as a landlord in one of the new 60s estate pubs, but turned it down as he didn't want his kids growing up in a pub.

Sebastian Cobb

That's some good detective work. I'd say your dad probably made the right choice; I went to school with someone who lived above the pub their family owned and they grew up to be a magician.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm surprised at how small some of the rooms look in that top floor flat for sale, I think the building might have an inverse-tardis effect going on, as thinking about it from being inside it isn't actually that big (the bogs take a massive chunk out of the bar space), so I guess makes sense. The 6 flats/bedsits below must be incredibly poky though.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 27, 2021, 12:03:25 PM
I'm surprised at how small some of the rooms look in that top floor flat for sale, I think the building might have an inverse-tardis effect going on, as thinking about it from being inside it isn't actually that big (the bogs take a massive chunk out of the bar space), so I guess makes sense. The 6 flats/bedsits below must be incredibly poky though.
Remember that from the front elevation, the left 25% of the building (from the side wall to the flats entrance door) is basically the stairwell and hallways. I did a bit of digging on the council website and it was originally called Martin's Bar. The entrance used to be that bricked-up doorway at the Seaton Drive end of the frontage, but was moved to the centre in 1993 (I think that used to just be a window like the two either side of it). The upstairs was then converted into 6 2-bedroom flats in 1994, which involved building that second floor dormer roof (it looks like it was a flat-roofed two story building before that) and extending it out on the north end to provide the stairwell access for the flats.

Here's one of the first floor 2-bedroom flats. As built, all the flats had electric immersion hot water and storage heaters, so they must cost a packet to keep warm in the winter (the top floor flat especially as it doesn't have any masonry walls to speak of).

Dex Sawash

The Edit Pub in Glitchter

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on August 27, 2021, 01:34:22 PM
Remember that from the front elevation, the left 25% of the building (from the side wall to the flats entrance door) is basically the stairwell and hallways. I did a bit of digging on the council website and it was originally called Martin's Bar. The entrance used to be that bricked-up doorway at the Seaton Drive end of the frontage, but was moved to the centre in 1993 (I think that used to just be a window like the two either side of it). The upstairs was then converted into 6 2-bedroom flats in 1994, which involved building that second floor dormer roof (it looks like it was a flat-roofed two story building before that) and extending it out on the north end to provide the stairwell access for the flats.

Here's one of the first floor 2-bedroom flats. As built, all the flats had electric immersion hot water and storage heaters, so they must cost a packet to keep warm in the winter (the top floor flat especially as it doesn't have any masonry walls to speak of).

Yes I hadn't realised the stairwell would be taking up the LHS. Cheers.

With the extra digging would you say that the flats are shared between the two floors? Comparing the 1st floor EPC certificate dimensions with the dimensions in the 2nd floor for sale listing suggests the 1st floor one is 3 m² bigger.

I lived in an old granite 2up/2down building (the type where you go up some steps in the back garden to get into the top floor flat) that had storage heaters and immersion heating (and prepay electric) and it was horrible... the heaters usually had nothing left by the time I got home from work and on the odd occasion I worked from home it got unpleasantly stuffy in the afternoon. I found running them low to keep some level of 'base heat' in the walls of the building and keeping the room I was in warm with a fan heater was the way to go, of course the electric fire that the place had didn't have a thermostat.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 27, 2021, 04:48:00 PM
Yes I hadn't realised the stairwell would be taking up the LHS. Cheers.

With the extra digging would you say that the flats are shared between the two floors? Comparing the 1st floor EPC certificate dimensions with the dimensions in the 2nd floor for sale listing suggests the 1st floor one is 3 m² bigger.
I don't think they are split level. By matching up the positions of the windows in the pictures from the listing for Flat A (the one that's suppsedly the whole of the top floor) it's actually at the left hand side of the roof space looking from the front. The rear left corner is  the main bedroom, which has a small domer window on a sloping wall this is in the left side of the roof next to the stairwell) and a larger windwo on a flat wall that faces out over the carpark. There is then a thin partition wall between that bedroom and the kitchen, which has the adjoining window out over the carpark. The living room is opposite these two on the front, with a single dormer window (the leftmost one on the front) and has that odd partion wall in it to create the entrance hall. The small single bedroom also has a dormer window, so must also be at the front, probably next to the living room.

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, I didn't mean split-level I meant that rather than there being 1 flat on the whole of the top and 5 below there were 3 on each or something. What confused me is based on the two flats I had seen, they're roughly the same size and on different floors (as you can tell from the roof as you mentioned).

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 01:27:40 PM

Anyone beer in THE BIG GUN? Looks really hostile from the outside but heard mixed things overall.

I used to walk past this one regularly, does the sign still say "a nice pub for nice people", it very much reads like a threat.

purlieu

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 19, 2021, 05:25:37 PM
There used to be a pub in Hayes called 'The Famous George Orwell'.
Yep, they had to put 'The Famous' in the name because nobody in Hayes would've had a fucking clue who he was.
George Orwell was a teacher in Hayes for 14 months, and said of the place : "one of the most God-forsaken places I have ever struck"
Prime Minister George Canning lived in my hometown, Hinckley, for a short time. Our Wetherspoons (now gone - a town without a Wetherspoons, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC or Pizza Hut!) had a proudly framed information poster about Canning on the wall, in which it quoted him describing a pub in town as "the vilest inn, in the nastiest town, in the dirtiest county that imagination can conceive".

Never been to Dundee, but can anyone verify the quality of The Dolphin?

The Barley Mow in Leicester seems reasonably innocuous from Google Image Search pictures, but I'd say the number of times I've passed it without seeing two drunk people having a screaming row outside is very much outnumbered by those that I have.

Sherman Krank

steve98

Quote from: buzby on August 27, 2021, 09:43:50 AM

the Stonebridge Inn):

At first glance I took this to be an abandoned nuclear facility, somewhere out East, Chernobyl way. But, looking closer, it reminds me more of the indestructible containers used by British Rail to transport spent fuel.

buzby

Quote from: steve98 on September 20, 2021, 01:00:27 PM
At first glance I took this to be an abandoned nuclear facility, somewhere out East, Chernobyl way. But, looking closer, it reminds me more of the indestructible containers used by British Rail to transport spent fuel.
Sadly, it wasn't indestructible - it was demolished (along with the Red Rum I posted with it) and the housing estate that surrounded it by the council in an attempt to woo Amazon to build it's biggest warehouse in the UK on the site. The council even rerouted a river at great cost to increase the amount of land available. After stringing them along for best part of two years, Amazon went with Peel Holdings' Port Salford site instead.

George Oscar Bluth II

Fuck, that's even bleaker than the pub was.