Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1427933473277423623?s=20

Comedian Sean Lock – best known for panel shows '8 Out Of 10 Cats' and '8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown' as well as sitcom '15 Storeys High' – has died from cancer at the age of 58

shiftwork2

madhair60

Gone Lock, there we go - there's one

Jockice

What the fuck? I didn't know anything about him being ill. That's proper upsetting.

Fucks sake. What horrible news. 15 Storeys High is such an amazing piece of work.

Utter Shit

Very sad, he was always good value on 8OO10C/DC and 15 Storeys High and 15 Minutes of Misery were fantastic.

Sadly I'm not *that* surprised to hear this news. There was a period a couple of years ago where he was clearly not well...his voice became quite weak and he got really gaunt. He seemed a lot better in his more recent appearances so I'd assumed he had come through whatever that was.

Butchers Blind

Fuck! Had no idea he was ill. Time for another 15SH rewatch.

beanheadmcginty

bgmnts

Holy shit I had no idea he was 58!

Mr Trumpet

Very sad to hear. Was always an excellent guest on those comedy interview type shows (Room 101 etc).

kalowski

Didn't he have skin cancer when he was young? What a shame this is.

Uncle TechTip

Best stand up I've seen. This is upsetting. 15SH was a masterpiece, cruelly unloved now. Thanks and goodbye Sean.

mippy

I don't remember even hearing he was ill! Goddamn.

Aw man, he ended up coasting on panel shows but it wasn't his fault. A huge talent, loved 15 storeys and his standup.

selectivememory

Oh my god. I remember when people here were talking about him not looking well a while back, but I didn't really watch the kind of shows he was on in recent years so it kind of slipped my mind that he might actually be sick.

Great stand up comic though, and 15 Storeys High is an incredible sitcom, one of the best in the last couple of decades. RIP

Beagle 2

Very sad news. 15 Storeys High will always be a masterpiece.

Icehaven

Bloody hell, how awful and sad. Remember his "I'm not bitter" thing about Newman and Baddiel and he probably ended up being on TV more than both of them.

jobotic

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 18, 2021, 11:07:44 AM
Very sad, he was always good value on 8OO10C/DC and 15 Storeys High and 15 Minutes of Misery were fantastic.

Sadly I'm not *that* surprised to hear this news. There was a period a couple of years ago where he was clearly not well...his voice became quite weak and he got really gaunt. He seemed a lot better in his more recent appearances so I'd assumed he had come through whatever that was.

That's what I thought. He'd been ill but he was better. I saw him do stand up a couple of years ago and he seemed fine. He was a lot funnier than I thought he'd be (he was very funny but I'd seen on him an that Apollo shite and he was dreadful - not on the television he was much better).

15 Storeys High and Minutes of Misery were, of course, brilliant.

up_the_hampipe

Oh my god. Truly stunned by this news. I knew he seemed unwell from his recent TV appearances, but this is still very sudden.

He was always a consistently hilarious presence on panel shows. Given how repetitive they are and how many he'd done, it's an achievement that can't be understated. Truly talented.

Jerzy Bondov

Really sad news. I rewatched 15 Storeys High earlier this year and loved it more than ever. You know what I really liked TV Heaven Telly Hell - basically Room 101 except just TV. As with Room 101, the Johnny Vegas episode was especially good.

I think he was pretty happy to do panel shows rather than work his arse off on one of the best British sitcoms of the 2000s and have no cunt watch it.

AsparagusTrevor

Holy shit, didn't expect this. Very sad. As others have said, 15 Storeys High was a masterpiece, and he always managed to elevate 8 Out of 10 Cats (especially the genius that was Carrot in a Box), plus I liked what I saw of his standup.

R.I.P.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Ah fuck. Like many others on here I loved 15 Storeys High, probably my favourite British sitcom ever and I'm eternally grateful for CaB for pointing me towards it. Just brilliantly inventive and funny. I've also enjoyed his stand-up and various panel show appearances but always hoped he'd be able to find another vehicle for his talents. RIP

MojoJojo

Damn. I actually bought 15SH a couple of weeks ago as I've never seen it, just heard the radio version. I had to get it on dvd as it's not available streaming anywhere.

notjosh

Completely surprised and absolute gutted about this. I was literally walking around the office yesterday thinking about bits from 15 Minutes of Misery and laughing to myself. Wish I'd seen him live now.

In case anyone hasn't heard them, here are his two radio series and the (fantastic) live CD he released in 2003:
https://mega.nz/folder/HbB12a6C#2OibfbEmSDBM1-AAcSoKMw

Just a naturally hilarious man who made even the most mundane panel shows worth watching. I love his two 'carrot in a box' matches against Jon Richardson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGuPvrsG3E

Sgt. Duckie

Wet Blanket

Knocked a bit sideways by this news. Like others have said, it was clear he'd been under the weather but it seemed like he'd made a full recovery. 15 Storeys High due a rewatch I reckon.

The Lurker

Oh man. So sad. 15 Storey's High is an absolute masterpiece and still makes me chuckle whenever I think about it. Totally forgot about TV Heaven, Telly Hell too which also gold.

Edit: Saw him live a few years ago for free. Brilliant stand up. His bit where he revealed himself as The Riddler was fucking brilliant.

The Ombudsman

Quite shocked by this. He was on my list of people to see when things got back to normal. Tremendously sad and a great loss.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 18, 2021, 11:16:07 AM
Really sad news. I rewatched 15 Storeys High earlier this year and loved it more than ever. You know what I really liked TV Heaven Telly Hell - basically Room 101 except just TV. As with Room 101, the Johnny Vegas episode was especially good.

Oh God yeah that was great. He had so much leeway to go in whatever direction he wanted. There was an episode with Jimmy Carr that ends with Sean Lock wearing a pair of shorts with his balls hanging out and the two of them pissing themselves laughing, it's so joyous.

Speaking of Room 101, his appearance where he talks about his time working on a building site is great too, and also includes a story about an acquiantance standing before a judge with a truly fantastic line.