Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Had to do a triple take when I saw the headline earlier, just not something I expected at all. 15 Storeys High... yeah, one of the all-time greats, such a staggeringly funny and totally unique show. So many little bits of it have entered my day-to-day conscious thoughts - cactises, "Jesus Christ!", boys so cool - I was always sad he never really did another show like it.
What a fucking horrible day. RIP.

Custard

Wow, this is deffo a shocker

RIP Sean. 15 Storeys was great

Pranet

Saw him do stand up 96ish, stands out as some of the funniest stand up I've ever seen.

I'm ashamed to say that despite being a massive standup lover, I never saw him live as I had him down as a panel show comedian - albeit one of the better ones.

It's obvious from this thread that he was much more than that, so what recorded shows of his are worth watching? I see that Channel 4 are showing Keep It Light tomorrow night.

RIP Sean. Maybe I'll finally watch 15 Storeys.

Spiral King

Dreadful. I genuinely think about 15 Storeys High once every two weeks. Anyone on the fence about watching needs to do so immediately.

privatefriend

RIP Sean!

15 Storeys High was one of those shows I was lucky to catch on initial broadcast  (like The Armando Iannucci Show around the same time), that really defined my taste in comedy. There's nothing quite like it.

I saw Simon Munnery live a few years ago, he had a bit of a dig at Lock, calling him a bully. I can imagine him being difficult/curmudgeonly, but seemed more the competitive type that took his comedy very seriously.

Thanks to whoever posted download links earlier, can't remember how much of his radio work I got round to hearing before.

up_the_hampipe

For the 15 Storeys High fans, Mark Lamarr does still exist and tweets largely about music, but today posted a sweet little tribute to Lock:

https://twitter.com/lamarr_mark/status/1427936395138670596?s=20

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 18, 2021, 04:02:31 PM
I thought I was an over the hill baldy lardarse.

Lemon Jelly consider rewrite.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

KennyMonster

Was one of the first comedians to play a sold-out Wembley Arena as part of "Comedy Is The New Rock And Roll!" wasn't he?

sad news.

The Crumb

RIP Sean. At least it wasn't a really horrible burger that got him.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Pranet on August 18, 2021, 04:58:46 PM
Saw him do stand up 96ish, stands out as some of the funniest stand up I've ever seen.

I saw him at the Comedy Store in 1995, late show - day of the FA Cup final iirc - Harry Hill was the headliner and (I think) Sean Meo too.

Digging out my 15 Storeys High DVD later.

Funny bastard.

paruses

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 18, 2021, 05:45:48 PM
Was one of the first comedians to play a sold-out Wembley Arena as part of "Comedy Is The New Rock And Roll!" wasn't he?

sad news.

He was the support for Newman and Baddiel which meant for a long time people said he was the first comedian to play Wembley. However something to do with the timing of the acts meant it was Newman and /or Baddiel instead. This fact really irked David Baddiel when he was on something with Sean Lock a few years ago. I remember Sean Lock doing his cackle and sort of ribbing Baddiel about it who had zero humility about getting the "fact" right. I remember at the time thinking Baddiel was perhaps petty and humourless at heart. Not saying he is but it's how he came across in that moment.

Still would rather have seen Sean Lock's set than all that "that's your mum that is" schtick that I thought was shit even at the time.

Gradual Decline

Ahh, rubbish news indeed.

Sean's background laughter in the Tony McCarroll's Classical Gas advert never fails to set me off.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: paruses on August 18, 2021, 06:34:12 PM
He was the support for Newman and Baddiel which meant for a long time people said he was the first comedian to play Wembley. However something to do with the timing of the acts meant it was Newman and /or Baddiel instead. This fact really irked David Baddiel when he was on something with Sean Lock a few years ago. I remember Sean Lock doing his cackle and sort of ribbing Baddiel about it who had zero humility about getting the "fact" right. I remember at the time thinking Baddiel was perhaps petty and humourless at heart. Not saying he is but it's how he came across in that moment.

Still would rather have seen Sean Lock's set than all that "that's your mum that is" schtick that I thought was shit even at the time.

Was it an episode of 8oo10CDC that Baddiel guested on where that convo took place? It sounds familiar, something like a journo said to Lock in an interview that he was the first person on stage and Lock just said yes and went with it.

Blumf

paruses

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 18, 2021, 07:06:12 PM
Was it an episode of 8oo10CDC that Baddiel guested on where that convo took place? It sounds familiar, something like a journo said to Lock in an interview that he was the first person on stage and Lock just said yes and went with it.

Oh yes - Lock deliberately saying it because he didn't care sounds right and makes it funnier. I think that's why Lock was cackling.

studpuppet

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 18, 2021, 07:06:12 PM

I think he finished it off with something along the lines of, 'So I went with it, they printed it as fact, and that's how history is written...'

The Mollusk

Fuckinell man watching his old standup DVD and the bit he does about the place crashing and him going absolutely psycho at the scared old lady next to him had my in hysterics. "Wanna swap clothes?! Look crazy in the wreckage!!"

the science eel

Quote from: Gradual Decline on August 18, 2021, 06:40:33 PM
Ahh, rubbish news indeed.

Sean's background laughter in the Tony McCarroll's Classical Gas advert never fails to set me off.

Fucking A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXVCoYzGyI

(starts about halfway through)

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 18, 2021, 10:42:25 PM
Mark Lamarr talking about him on Radio 4

https://youtu.be/WUfnar7IX2w

Lovely to hear. I remember Lock was on Comic's Choice (I think that's what it was called) where comedians basically list their favourite comedians in various categories, and he chose Mark Lamarr for how lightning quick he was on Buzzcocks etc. It was a cool thing to see as this was a few years after Lamarr had essentially disappeared from television. Nice to see that paid back.

Also it's funny to hear even a Radio 4 broadcaster asking a version of the "where did he get his ideas from?" question. Oh the pain!

Twit 2

For balance, didn't Rhys Thomas say he was a cunt on that podcast where he talked about going on a panel show?

studpuppet

Quote from: Gradual Decline on August 18, 2021, 06:40:33 PM

Likewise his reaction to Joe Wilkinson's poem.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Did he even like doing crap panel shows? I always got a sort of resigned air about him on them, like he was secretly saying "this is the only way I can make a decent bit of money anymore, and I hate it". Having to listen to Jimmy Carr's mutant laugh for hours on end during 10+ years of recordings must really drain a man.

Captain Z

Judging by the fun he was having in many of the clips mentioned today then I would say yes, he clearly enjoyed doing them.

Natnar

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 19, 2021, 12:32:02 AM
For balance, didn't Rhys Thomas say he was a cunt on that podcast where he talked about going on a panel show?
Yeah. For some reason Mark Lamarr didn't like Rhys and him & Lock were being arseholes to him.

Harry Badger

I've not much to add other than to say I'm very saddened by the news. Fifteen Storeys High will always be one of my absolute favourites. If it's not been shared already, some kind soul has uploaded the lot to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0PP4cRAA7PqMmFsqSOCCXPNlhVrS03oG