Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 18, 2021, 11:07:44 AM
Very sad, he was always good value on 8OO10C/DC and 15 Storeys High and 15 Minutes of Misery were fantastic.

Sadly I'm not *that* surprised to hear this news. There was a period a couple of years ago where he was clearly not well...his voice became quite weak and he got really gaunt. He seemed a lot better in his more recent appearances so I'd assumed he had come through whatever that was.

This is my thought, too. I remember there were a few episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown where I noticed he sounded off. Then there was the time he looked like Walter White which looking back, he did look gaunt as you say. Then he did more episodes and seemed okay again. But it's often hard to tell when 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown was new or a repeat, unless it was one of the last ones that was all social distancing and stuff, that will date every programme made in 2020/2022.

Gutted to hear he's gone.

bgmnts

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 18, 2021, 11:16:07 AM
Really sad news. I rewatched 15 Storeys High earlier this year and loved it more than ever. You know what I really liked TV Heaven Telly Hell - basically Room 101 except just TV. As with Room 101, the Johnny Vegas episode was especially good.

Yes that was a great series and the Johnny Vegas episode is amazing. Especially at the end when Lock starts corpsing at Vegas' insanity.

frajer

Fuck.

Was clearing out my DVDs a year or so ago and this prompted a rewatch of 15 Storeys High (obviously kept that one from the charity shop pile!) Such a bloody good series with such a strong comedic style and tone all of its own. Will be getting watched again sharpish.

tinglingoxbow

RIP. A very sad loss, a very talented man.

Shit Good Nose

Fucking hell, even knowing there was something clearly wrong a few years ago he wouldn't have been high on the death list.

Never was a fan of his standup, but 15 Storeys is one of the greatest comedy things ever.  I think a complete rewatch is in order.

selectivememory

For purely selfish reasons I'm gutted we'll never see him on Taskmaster. He would have been great.

Quote from: notjosh on August 18, 2021, 11:20:07 AM
In case anyone hasn't heard them, here are his two radio series and the (fantastic) live CD he released in 2003:
https://mega.nz/folder/HbB12a6C#2OibfbEmSDBM1-AAcSoKMw

Just a naturally hilarious man who made even the most mundane panel shows worth watching. I love his two 'carrot in a box' matches against Jon Richardson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGuPvrsG3E

That carrot in a box thing is amazing. And cheers for the radio series. Never listened to them so I'll check those out later.

buttgammon

So sad to hear this. 15 Storeys High is one of my favourite comedies of all time - that combination of the weird and the bleak is something I've never seen more perfectly executed in anything else.

I saw him live a couple of years ago. He'd looked and sounded ill on TV around that time but seemed healthy when I saw him, which was a relief. Sadly, it mustn't have lasted.

Petey Pate

The most recent thing I heard him on was a 2019 podcast that ended with him talking with the host about eating bats, which felt eerily prescient when listening to it during the pandemic.

One thing I've not seen any articles mention yet is his association with the experimental British filmmaker Andrew Kötting.  Here's a short film that Lock co-wrote and appears in.

https://vimeo.com/55217668

derek stitt

This news leaves a taste in the mouth as if I have just had a horrible burger. Such sad news an effortlessly funny man.

turnstyle

Fucks sake.

Genuinely gutted.

Saw him about a decade ago doing some WIP stuff and it was fucking brilliant. Despite playing to a tiny room of people who had paid what, a fiver, to see a WIP show, he was incredible. Lots of ad libbing and going off on tangents.

Although I didn't watch many panel shows these days, you could always count on Lock for a damn good laugh and an element of dark chaos.

Hughes, Lock....quick, someone check on Sean Walsh (actually, don't).

gmoney

Oh wow. That's a horrible shock. I absolutely loved 15 Storeys High and I used to have a copy of his first live album that I listened to again and again. He's timing on that is utterly sublime.

Spiteface

Quote from: turnstyle on August 18, 2021, 11:35:12 AM
Fucks sake.

Genuinely gutted.

Saw him about a decade ago doing some WIP stuff and it was fucking brilliant. Despite playing to a tiny room of people who had paid what, a fiver, to see a WIP show, he was incredible. Lots of ad libbing and going off on tangents.

Although I didn't watch many panel shows these days, you could always count on Lock for a damn good laugh and an element of dark chaos.

Hughes, Lock....quick, someone check on Sean Walsh (actually, don't).

Walsh stuck an extra 'n' on the end. He doesn't count.

Tony Tony Tony

Sad news indeed.

Obligatory nonecdote coming up....

My ex wife almost ran Lock over whilst he was on a zebra crossing in (I think) Highbury. Happily she didn't so we can console ourselves with the thought that at least he got a few more years.

Norton Canes

The R.I.P. of the Lock

(actually blinking back tears)

beanheadmcginty

Alberon

I was reading about Sean Hughes this morning and at first I thought this was a bumped thread from his death.

But, no, this isn't that great a surprise. He'd clearly been very ill in the past few years, but obviously hadn't wanted to broadcast that fact.

Looking at it I don't think any '8 out of ten cats does countdown' has been broadcast that has been recorded this year. There were three or four broadcast early this year, but they must have been recorded in 2020 unless the turnaround was very fast.

I only got to see 15 Stories High the other year and it is criminally underrated and I've seen and enjoyed his stand-up. Absolutely gutting that he's gone.

Blumf

Damn it! Such a sharp funny fucker.

To my mind, 15SH is the last truly great British sitcom.

BeardFaceMan

Fuck, that's proper awful news.

Pink Gregory

well this is no good at all

Only got onto the radio version of 15 Storeys High this year and I am likewise baffled that it's not better known

paruses

Terrible but not that surprising as a lot of others have said. Really quite sad about this.

Anyone remember that really fractious travel show he did with Jon Richardson? Would love to see that again. It was made off the back of 8oo10c being suddenly really big.

TrenterPercenter

idunnosomename

Lawn Shock (that it's having Sean Lock buried under it, because it didn't even know he was unwell. the lawn is very sad about it too.)

Chollis

Twit 2

Quote from: kalowski on August 18, 2021, 11:12:51 AM
Didn't he have skin cancer when he was young? What a shame this is.

Pretty sure he was a smoker, so that could have got him.

beanheadmcginty

Petey Pate

Quote from: paruses on August 18, 2021, 11:47:02 AMAnyone remember that really fractious travel show he did with Jon Richardson? Would love to see that again. It was made off the back of 8oo10c being suddenly really big.

I heard about it but never saw it.  Apparently Richardson spent most of his time whinging while Lock was game for doing everything and was much more friendly with the locals.

robhug

on the off chance its hasn't been said already 58 is no age

Ornlu

Alright fine, I promise I'll now finally watch 15 Storeys High. It's getting some real high praise here, entirely deserved it seems.

The Lock/Spikey era of 8O10C was some pretty formative comedy in my younger years. And his stand-up was sublime. Seemed like such a naturally funny person, with his deadpan cadence and jerky physicality.

"I DON'T KNOW WHO IT IS, SOME WWWWANKER!"

RIP fella. Time for a crafty one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shit! I was listening to a bit of 15 Minutes of Misery just the other day.

His croaky voice on Cats Does Countdown was worrying, but he sounded fine in subsequent series. I assume that they can film a whole series of in the span of about a week, so it wasn't necessarily a chronic condition.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 18, 2021, 11:38:36 AM
nonecdote
I initially misread that as "nonce" and briefly felt even crummier.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 18, 2021, 11:38:36 AM
My ex wife almost ran Lock over
Was he teaching you to swim at the time?

samadriel

"I was beating a pig to death with a hammer the other day, and I thought to myself, 'I need a holiday'."

I fondly remember how 15SH brought together all my many housemates about a decade ago, it was great fun sharing the hilarity.