Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ingsoc on August 27, 2021, 08:07:28 PM
Complete with laugh track on episode 6 of series 1?

That's a weird one. I can only imagine the beeb did that to try and make it 'better' as they clearly didn't like it. That's the first I've heard about a laugh track being put on there though, I don't recall any talk about a laugh track on broadcast episodes before.

jsgibble

Ah, that's interesting. Dead Swan was the unbroadcast pilot, so it's a bit different to the rest of series 1. I remember thinking there were a few jokes from the radio show in there that were relatively unchanged compared to how the rest of the series uses stuff from the radio series.

Jerzy Bondov

Does that mean the iPlayer Dead Swan is the pilot version? The DVD one has the proper opening titles and no laugh track. I think the iPlayer versions look slightly nicer than my DVD rips but the wrong Dead Swan is NO GOOD THANKS

Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but series 2 episode 2 seems to be missing. It's the car boot and pigeon shit episode. Any idea why this may have been preemptively pulled?

Dead Soon

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 27, 2021, 09:21:31 PM
Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but series 2 episode 2 seems to be missing. It's the car boot and pigeon shit episode. Any idea why this may have been preemptively pulled?

Did a quick scan. Heavy use of weed is depicted, one scene where two cops are rolling and forcing delinquents to smoke it all. Has something of this ilk happened 'out there' in the real world recently or some shit?

imitationleather

That's a shame because the weed-smoking kids in the lift are very funny.

Captain Z

Episode 2.2 is currently there and playing on iplayer for me.

Quote from: Dead Soon on August 27, 2021, 09:30:59 PM
Did a quick scan. Heavy use of weed is depicted, one scene where two cops are rolling and forcing delinquents to smoke it all. Has something of this ilk happened 'out there' in the real world recently or some shit?

Just got a tweet reply from the iplayer editor guy :

QuoteIt is available on iPlayer via web and so on, but I think Sky might have issues with the title which means it's not showing it

Murdoch doesn't like swearing I guess the old cunt.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 27, 2021, 09:36:56 PM
Just got a tweet reply from the iplayer editor guy :

Murdoch doesn't like swearing I guess the old cunt.

Steve Williams, one of the most knowledgeable TV people I've ever known, and was known to post here as well as many TV forums.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 27, 2021, 05:22:22 PM
Interesting story from this week's Popbitch:

"About ten years ago, Sean Lock was being considered for a part in a British indie film. The American execs attached to the project had never heard of him, so the director sent over a bunch of TV clips to make a case for his casting.
I was just thinking Benedict Wong's done well, in Dr Strange, the new Spiderman and recent Disney voice work. Is there a parallel world with Sean a Marvel star?

non capisco

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 27, 2021, 09:21:31 PM

One of the funniest episodes. The bit where Vince is so desperate for a sale at the boot fair that he necks the hot soup so he can sell his flask is a fantastic bit of physical comedy from Lock.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on August 27, 2021, 10:32:30 PM
One of the funniest episodes. The bit where Vince is so desperate for a sale at the boot fair that he necks the hot soup so he can sell his flask is a fantastic bit of physical comedy from Lock.

IT'S TEA

non capisco

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 28, 2021, 12:02:50 AM
Definitely soup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMu7avEVibc

Ah, man. So good.

"I can come back..."
"YOU WON'T COME BACK!"

Think I'll tan all these again over the long weekend. RIP, you funny bastard.

Reg Tits

There are plenty of 15 Storeys High 1+2 on eBay at the moment in auction. You can copy it with DVD Shrink and then relist. Mind you Vince wouldn't bother. Too much effort. You might have to talk to someone.

Greg Torso

Quote from: jsgibble on August 25, 2021, 01:42:07 PM
There's a DVD rip here - subtitles included in the file as are the 4 commentaries

Many many thanks for this. Looking forward to a proper good high def rewatch.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Reg Tits on August 28, 2021, 08:37:04 AM
There are plenty of 15 Storeys High 1+2 on eBay at the moment in auction. You can copy it with DVD Shrink and then relist. Mind you Vince wouldn't bother. Too much effort. You might have to talk to someone.

Not really worth it since you can rip it with get_iplayer.

imitationleather

I watched Ice Queen earlier. So many moments I remember from the series all packed into one episode. Glorious.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 28, 2021, 11:50:08 AM
Not really worth it since you can rip it with get_iplayer.

Never the best quality from get iplayer, unless I'm using it wrong. TV mode=best

Brundle-Fly

Watching this again has made remember how brilliant Felix Dexter is in this. Another great comedian taken far too soon.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 28, 2021, 04:24:50 PM
Never the best quality from get iplayer, unless I'm using it wrong. TV mode=best

I think it defaults to that now so it's redundant. A fair point though I forget they're pretty tight on bandwidth on the SD stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

I think the heartwarming thing about 15 Storeys as has been mentioned here before, is that Benedict Wong claims around that time he was very close to jacking in acting after getting fed up of turning up to auditions to find it was yet another 'stereotypical chinaman' role, one of which was quite likely one of 'Ant and Dec', the Chinese illegal immigrants in the second series of The Phoenix Nights (the same plot-line that caused Daniel Kitson to fall out with Kay as he pointed out it might be a bit racist and it was dismissed with something along the lines of 'they're Chinese so nobody will care') but then got offered the role of Errol, who was anything but and an obviously well thought out character that he nailed.

non capisco

Probably bollocked on about it on here a few times before over the years but I once saw Benedict Wong outside a pub in Soho and had to seize the opportunity to tell him how much I loved 15 Storeys High. He seemed thrilled to bits that it had fans, saying Errol was his favourite role he'd ever played and he'd honestly thought no-one had watched it. Shouting "COME CLEAN YOUR HANDS ON ME COOOAAAAAAT" into the evening with the man himself is a fucking brilliant memory.

buttgammon

I'll never stop evangelising about 15 Storeys High, there's always at least one more person to force to watch it.

Quote from: non capisco on August 28, 2021, 07:51:15 PM
Probably bollocked on about it on here a few times before over the years but I once saw Benedict Wong outside a pub in Soho and had to seize the opportunity to tell him how much I loved 15 Storeys High. He seemed thrilled to bits that it had fans, saying Errol was his favourite role he'd ever played and he'd honestly thought no-one had watched it. Shouting "COME CLEAN YOUR HANDS ON ME COOOAAAAAAT" into the evening with the man himself is a fucking brilliant memory.

That's wonderful! He seems like a lovely guy.

I didn't realise he was in the big time until I saw his face on the billboard for some superhero film a couple of years ago. It's great to see he's doing well. How remarkable that despite 15 Storeys High being so unfairly buried by the BBC, both of them went on to find the bigger audiences and success they deserved.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Yeah, I love that story. I think I'd have drunkenly shouted MEDIBOT at him and ruined everything.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I'm chuffed that Wong still looks back on it fondly. Here's an interview where he briefly talks about it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/dec/13/benedict-wong-marco-polo-netflix

QuoteWong's face lights up when I ask him about it. He's delighted at the show's cult status, that people are "still buzzing off it and they're still finding it funny. It's great that it feels like it's still got a shelf life." Wong landed the part thanks to his friend, the actor and comedian Peter Serafinowicz, who was voicing Errol on the sitcom's radio incarnation before it transferred to television. "Basically he just did an impression of me," says Wong, "so when I turned up they sort of gifted me the part."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: imitationleather on August 28, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
I watched Ice Queen earlier. So many moments I remember from the series all packed into one episode. Glorious.
"I don't like this game: Britney's dead and I've got to get off with a duck!"

The Crumb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 28, 2021, 05:11:55 PM
Watching this again has made remember how brilliant Felix Dexter is in this. Another great comedian taken far too soon.

God yes. Cannot get enough of his delivery. 'You are a very sad fellow. You have caused me nothing but consternation and disappointment.' is a great parting shot.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: imitationleather on August 28, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
Probably my favourite episode. The mere mention of beetroot is enough to set me off.

Errol learning to drive:
"Aaaaaargh!"
"Dinnah do that man"
"people shout in cars all the time"
"that's the reward for passing your test"

Who was the actress who played the ice queen btw? She's dead lovely (and icy)
Quote from: The CrumbGod yes. Cannot get enough of his delivery. 'You are a very sad fellow. You have caused me nothing but consternation and disappointment.' is a great parting shot.
uh uh

jsgibble

"Well a lot of my dreams are about driving so I guess I've picked it up"