Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

How awful. A really talented, funny, ubiquitous talent. A real loss.

lankyguy95

The afterlife? "I'll do that spinning on my cock."

Seriously though, this can get fucked. Very funny man with a unique comic voice. He did look ill a couple of years ago but this has still taken me by surprise.

zomgmouse

Bloody hell, holy shit. Just stunned by this news. One of the effortless talents.

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 18, 2021, 11:33:58 AM
One thing I've not seen any articles mention yet is his association with the experimental British filmmaker Andrew Kötting.  Here's a short film that Lock co-wrote and appears in.

https://vimeo.com/55217668

Absolutely worth a watch.

Well shit. Though as said, not completely out of the blue.

The Mollusk

Really fucking shocked and upset about this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shame so many people will know him for coasting on panel shows, although I guess most of those people aren't as down about them as we are.

Unfortunately one of the culprits of turning comedy into a televised witty pub chat with occasional parlour game elements. Low effort, unchallenging for the audience.

He possessed a great mind nevertheless and stripping out the schlock, he has a CV nearly all of us would envy. Seemed like a good genuine guy and it's a tragic, horribly hurtful and cruel age to die. RIP.

checkoutgirl

And Jimmy Carr's still alive, there's no justice in this world.

JamesTC

He said nothing about a Viking funeral but he certainly discourages it.

Pseudopath

Quote from: turnstyle on August 18, 2021, 11:35:12 AM
someone check on Sean Walsh (actually, don't)

Sadly, he died at my local comedy club last Thursday.

Ferris

Very sad to hear this, always seemed a good egg and was a great performer. I didn't even know he was ill.

selectivememory

Scrolling through the tributes on Twitter, I've just been reminded of this little aside in Stewart Lee's book, which I wasn't sure if he was joking or if it was an actual Sean Lock routine he was describing. I like to think it's real though:

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: robhug on August 18, 2021, 11:58:16 AM
on the off chance its hasn't been said already 58 is no age

Nah, you're right, it really is no age to go.

RIP Sean. And thanks for the lols.

Ferris

Quote from: selectivememory on August 18, 2021, 12:22:50 PM
Scrolling through the tributes on Twitter, I've just been reminded of this little aside in Stewart Lee's book, which I wasn't sure if he was joking or if it was an actual Sean Lock routine he was describing. I like to think it's real though:

First thing I thought of as well haha.

pigamus

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 18, 2021, 12:10:28 PM
Really fucking shocked and upset about this.

Yeah, me too. Jesus. I always thought he was brilliant, I loved 15 Storeys High. Awful.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 12:12:59 PM
the schlock

Damn dude I didn't know you were on nickname terms with him! Thoughts and prayers for you today.

Tony Yeboah

The Daily Mail have taken a screencap of him looking gaunt in 2020 and put it on the front page of their website captioned 'Last Picture.' Which is nice.

Neville Chamberlain

Oh, bollocks. Didn't see this coming.

up_the_hampipe

I saw him once at a benefit gig in about 2008. He came out in the second half, clearly a bit tipsy and did most of his set in a Bernard Manning style voice. He was great.

mrClaypole

Gutted.  I really loved Seans work.  I will have a cry now

Thomas

I love the curmudgeonly discord he would bring to otherwise shiny proceedings, thereby making them worth watching. Recall his blunt Big Fat Quiz critique of those child actors, for example, or his willingness to disgust and appall on 8OO10C.

I have the wonderful 15 Storeys High on DVD, but I'm not sure I ever got round to watching the second series. Will do.

peanutbutter

The evolution of 15 Minutes of Misery into 15 Storeys High on radio into the TV series is the best endorsement of the radio 4 development system I can think of. The absolute burying of the TV series must've been horrible to deal with. Def need to do a rewatch.

Extremely funny man, enjoyed the standup I've seen of his loads but always got the impression he was holding back from going as weird as he probably wanted to with some bits. Wouldn't surprise me if his WIPs were better than the finished shows.

Bronzy

RIP to the world's greatest Carrot in a Box champion.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0UGuPvrsG3E

gabbitas

Brundle-Fly

Circa early 90s, I used to specifically go to the Comedy Store if I knew Lock was on the bill. Guaranteed a great night out, especially if his mate Lamarr was compering and Bob Mills was lurking by the bar in the shadows to go on next. God, I miss those days.

Lock had a brilliantly inventive mind, this is such a great loss to comedy. I didn't know he'd been so ill. Absolutely rotten news.

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 18, 2021, 12:44:52 PM
The Daily Mail have taken a screencap of him looking gaunt in 2020 and put it on the front page of their website captioned 'Last Picture.' Which is nice.

The Daily Mail haven't covered themselves with glory today.  Here is their headline:

I mean surely you'd have a good proof-read of an article about a tragically young death.  Surely.

Awful news.

An tSaoi

It's funny that his obscure work failed, so he had to slum it as a mainstream success. It's the opposite of a most comedy careers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Apologies for laughing at foamily, hopefully Sean would laugh at that.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth