Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sean Lock has died

Started by Ham Bap, August 18, 2021, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

gilbertharding

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 18, 2021, 01:39:33 PM
The Daily Mail haven't covered themselves with glory today.  Here is their headline:

I mean surely you'd have a good proof-read of an article about a tragically young death.  Surely.

Awful news.

Sorry to split hairs, but 58 isn't 'tragically young'. It's 'no age'.

DoesNotFollow

MigraineBoy

Stuck for listening material on a big drive last week I downloaded the Beckett/Widecombe podcast Lockdown Parenting Hell because I saw Sean was the guest*.
Now I'm terribly sad because he seemed like such a good Dad.

* I'd never heard him as a guest on podcasts, so his appearance was surprising to Rob Beckett too.

Captain Z

Very sad news, even after more than 30 series of 8OO10C/DC he still put an effort into his appearances and didn't just coast along as many in that position would have done. Always guaranteed to bring the biggest laughs of each episode.

But what does it sound like, Sean?

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 18, 2021, 01:55:49 PM
Sorry to split hairs, but 58 isn't 'tragically young'. It's 'no age'.

Ten years ago, I'd have agreed with you.  Now I'm close enough to that age to maintain that it's tragically young!  Give it another few years and my idea of 'a good innings' will be about 120.

Always enjoyed his appearances.

machotrouts

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 18, 2021, 01:39:33 PM
The Daily Mail haven't covered themselves with glory today.  Here is their headline:

I mean surely you'd have a good proof-read of an article about a tragically young death.  Surely.

Oh my god... he died of rabies

Quote from: machotrouts on August 18, 2021, 02:19:24 PM
Oh my god... he died of rabies

what kind of life has that journo led that the autocomplete went to 'foamily' rather than 'family'?

daf

C_Larence

A video was posted on here recently, not sure what thread, but in the first episode of 8 Out Of 10 Cats that was filmed after Jimmy Carr's tax evasion story broke, Lock seemed genuinely angry at him about it. Similarly, a clip was shared where he was seriously disparaging a tory politician (might have been Boris Johnson) before Jon Richardson interrupted to say what a hard job the government has and everyone should be a bit nicer to them. Does anyone know when and where that was shared?

checkoutgirl

The saddest part isn't that he died at 48, it's that he had to spend the last 15 years of his life working with Jimmy Carr. Nobody deserves that.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 18, 2021, 02:43:37 PM
The saddest part isn't that he died at 48
You're right, it isn't.

What a pisser.

checkoutgirl

How long did he have that partnership with Bill Bailey? Was it a year or two?

Glebe

Oh fuck this is a shock, had no idea he was sick. Very sad news. RIP mate.

Nowhere Man

This news made me shout 'the fuck?' out loud. But seriously, fucks sake.[nb]If Bob Dylan goes down for diddling kids then thats the whole year ruined
[/nb] RIP man i've never met whos made me do rip roaringly loud belly laughs on many an occasion.

He's tied with Bob Mortimer for my favourite person on panel shows. Actually based on just panel shows Sean probably edges it.

But it's not just panel shows, which is what I know most people are probably gonna focus on, because 15 Storeys High is one of the top 10 greatest sitcoms ever made in my book.

An tSaoi

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

gmoney

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 18, 2021, 02:18:36 PM
Ten years ago, I'd have agreed with you.  Now I'm close enough to that age to maintain that it's tragically young!  Give it another few years and my idea of 'a good innings' will be about 120.

Always enjoyed his appearances.

That reminds me of one his gags about being at his nan's funeral. "She was 80, she'd had a good innings, everyone said that. Apart from a few 79 year olds..."

robhug

I believe officially its:

0-29 tragic
30-39 taken too young
40-49 in their prime
50-69 no age ​
70-89 good innings
90+ lived a full life

Cheesewogg

Rhys Thomas's 2021 'A Year In the Life of A Year' will be interesting...

Icehaven

I've been meaning to watch 15 Storeys High for ages as it's raved about so much here, and after today and this thread I was thinking I was definitely going to seek it out ASAP. I just went to get some DVDs out of the cupboard at work, we have about 12 long shelves of them totalling about 1500 DVDs, and what was the first one I saw? I didn't even know we had it.

Galeee

Sad news.
Such a sharp and witty man, and 15 Storeys is sublime. (And under appreciated)

Lemming

Terrible news, RIP. 15 Storeys High is one of the all-time great underrated comedies.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: robhug on August 18, 2021, 03:36:33 PM
I believe officially its:

0-29 tragic
30-39 taken too young
40-49 in their prime
50-69 no age ​
70-89 good innings
90+ lived a full life

I hit 40 this year. It's comforting to know that I'm in my prime. I thought I was an over the hill baldy lardarse.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 18, 2021, 04:02:31 PM
I hit 40 this year. It's comforting to know that I'm in my prime. I thought I was an over the hill baldy lardarse.

These only apply if you die though - so hang in there.

'You do get stressed don't you? Like the other day, I was killing this pig with a hammer.... I thought to myself, I need a holiday'.

chocky909

Fucks sake. I too thought he'd been ill but got better. His 3 radio and 2 TV series are up there with the best and always effortlessly hilarious and fascinating on panel shows. Sad loss.