Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris guested on Danny Baker's show under a guise

Started by kalaa rider, March 01, 2004, 02:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalaa rider

Hello,

A month or so back I emailed the BBC LDN Danny Baker breakfast show asking about rumours of Chris Morris guesting on the show. I don't know if this has already been surmised on here, but Danny said that actually Chris had guested on the show. He'd come in under a guise and people either thought the facade was genuine or it hadn't registered as anything out of the ordinary. This intrigued me greatly. Danny seemed adamant that he'd made a mystery appearance. He also played all the Morris jingles as I had requested.

Perhaps if more people email asking about it, he'll reveal more. The show's email address is margaret.rutherford@bbc.co.uk.

Neil

No, he didn't turn up, Baker is having a laugh again!  I got up early especially, and listened to the whole show while fannying about on here.  Think I deleted the mp3 I made of the show a while back, but I wouldn't check it anyway as he definintely wasn't there.  It's a nice joke by Baker, but that's all it is.

kalaa rider

Really? Was the supposed guest spot advertised? Danny seemed to be implying Morris had slipped in under the radar. He seemed to be talking sincerely, saying "ahh but he DID guest on the show" and it just went over people's heads. I might try emailing again in a couple of hours!

Neil

Nah Baker just seems to enjoy these practical jokes.  From what I recall he announced that Morris would be on the show, once, and that was it.  I don't think there was any heavy trailing, just one flippant remark at the end of a show to tease Morris fans.  And now he's doing it again after the event, suggesting that we missed it, well, no, Morris wasn't on there.  Shame.

JesusAndYourBush

Morris seems to have a habit of doing this.  Remember in Nov'01 when he was supposed to be appearing on Breezeblock and a few of us emailed Mary Anne Hobbs and she replied with cryptic little messages implying we didn't have to wait much longer.  And then nothing.

kalaa rider

I don't know if anyone was listening this morning, but I emailed again asking Baker if his claim was a just a dupe and he insisted that Chris appeared on the show a long while back unannounced when he came in to record the jingles. He said he was sat outside the studio quietly and decided to sit in on the last half hour of the show in a guise. Baker claimed it was a 'Superb guise'.

I would have recorded it to disk but he responded to my email right at the end of the show when I thought it had been bypassed.

butnut

benthalo

Don't encourage him, Kalaa Rider. I know a number of people who listened to the whole show when his jingles premiered, including myself, and there was no sign of Morris. The story there was that Baker had bumped into Morris in the street and a couple of days later received a CDR of homemade jingles through the door.  I still have an off-air of this.

In fact, his claims on when this interview happened are varying wildly! That jingles day was 11 October 2002 yet more recently he claimed it was "only a few weeks ago".

If you're any sort of regular listener to Baker, you'll know that he does this sort of thing all the time just to provoke a reaction and he's been targetting the Morris brigade rather too blatantly in the last few months. Besides, if it was such a great half hour, the producer would have put it on the official site archive - and his voice is never that difficult to distinguish, is it?