Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quake remaster out now.

Started by Cold Meat Platter, August 19, 2021, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Just saw this pop up in my Steam download list. Free if you own Quake. Apparently the NIN soundtrack is back in.
Not tried yet but there's a few complaints on the Steam forums, surprising as that may seem. 

Thursday

Beagle 2

Immediately bought it on Switch before realising I also automatically had it on Xbox and PC too but that's okay. Looks incredible value. Can't wait to get stuck in.

The crossplay has certainly breathed new life into the multiplayer (tonight, at least).

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd be interested in this on the Switch. I almost exclusively play it in handheld, so I'm always looking for games with little or no plot that you can just dip into for half an hour.
4k on the PS4 Pro though, which is tempting. Surely though, considering it's a fairly basic game, the only difference in resolution is that maybe the text looks a bit sharper? I doubt there's any difference between the respective versions and texture quality, shadows etc. You're just getting a resolution bump.

Chedney Honks

I bet anything the Switch version will run worse, at lower res, with lower res textures and at a lower frame rate than the PS4 Pro.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Apparently they all run at 60 fps, with the only difference being resolution.

Chedney Honks

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I would be impressed. Even the port of the original Doom ran worse.

Jerzy Bondov

Perfect Switch game. Runs beautifully, looks great. I came home pissed last night, lay on the sofa, tore up a couple of levels - utter bloodbath - and fell asleep. Would recommend

Jerzy Bondov

Name a more iconic 'grenade bouncing' sound effect, I'll wait

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I last played it on the Saturn in about 1996. Doesn't it go "clink clink clink boom"?

madhair60

Barry Admin

Dying to get on Game Pass, had no idea about this remaster! 

BeardFaceMan

Really looking forward to giving Quake III Arena a battering, one of the best multilayer games I've played. Neil, you're going to need to teach me how to rocket jump again.

madhair60

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 21, 2021, 02:41:38 PM
Dying to get on Game Pass, had no idea about this remaster!

What are you playing on, Xbox?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've never played this. Is it worth getting on PS4, or would it be rubbish without mouse aiming? I've got the original Doom games on PlayStation, but you barely have to aim with them.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 24, 2021, 12:22:41 AM
I've never played this. Is it worth getting on PS4, or would it be rubbish without mouse aiming? I've got the original Doom games on PlayStation, but you barely have to aim with them.

It has really good gyro aim with the pad. I played on PS5 and the sticks seemed fine!

Barry Admin

Quote from: madhair60 on August 21, 2021, 05:34:37 PM
What are you playing on, Xbox?

Yeah. Actually just bought the first four Dooms in a sale recently. You forget that the first two don't let you move your view on the vertical plane.

Actuall, I can recall having to type a certain command to bind the camera to the mouse properly in Quake, back in the day. I think it may have also originally launched with a restriction to only horizontal movement?

evilcommiedictator

Nightdive Studios kept really quiet on this one, it looks like they've done a great job!
Now, if they've done their work properly, they could also do HDs of Hexen II as well on the same engine

Barry Admin

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 21, 2021, 04:53:49 PM
Really looking forward to giving Quake III Arena a battering, one of the best multilayer games I've played. Neil, you're going to need to teach me how to rocket jump again.

Lmaoooo, that rings a vague bell! Did we used to fuck about on Rocket Arena maps?

I spent soooo much time practicing circle jumps and shit, loved it. Actually just giving Warzone a go at the minute, and very happy to see that they've now discovered some advanced movement in it.

Are they really gonna actually remaster Quake III? Fuck I hope so, and bring back Team Arena too!

Edit:

QuoteTeam Arena was Released by id Software on December 18, 2000.

Holy fuck.

Barry Admin

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on August 24, 2021, 01:07:40 AM
Nightdive Studios kept really quiet on this one, it looks like they've done a great job!
Now, if they've done their work properly, they could also do HDs of Hexen II as well on the same engine

This reminded me that I bought the Forsaken remaster a while back!  That was a fucking unbelievable game back in the day. Gonna have another bash at Nightdive's remake now.

Barry Admin

Forsaken doesn't really feel the same without a mouse :-/ I'm gonna rejig the controls to make it more spinny and disorienting.

Does the Quake port keep in bunny jumping and all that sort of thing then? It fucking better had...

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 24, 2021, 01:10:20 AM
Lmaoooo, that rings a vague bell! Did we used to fuck about on Rocket Arena maps?

Oh god yeah, we used to spend ages on empty maps rocket jumping around the shop. Or rather, I'd watch you rocket jumping all over the shop while blowing myself up. Hehe still, I was a bit better at doing it in Quake III than Team Fortress 2, those custom rocket jumping maps were a fucker.

Are they really gonna actually remaster Quake III? Fuck I hope so, and bring back Team Arena too!

I don't think it's a remaster but Quake III Arena showed up on the PC GamePass along with Quake 1 and 2. I'll give it a bash this week and see what it's like.

Barry Admin

Oh fuck yeah, I remember clearly now. Rocket Arena was badass, I loved Clan Arena mostly, as it was team based and so you didn't have that 1 v 1 pressure.

TF2 trick maps were indeed wild, especially when you had to use Demoman for grenade jumps and whatnot.

As Quake III was used for the basis of Quake World, I dunno if we'll ever see a remaster of it any time soon, I guess. Which is a shame, as it's still one of the best games of all time, and always will be. Fond memories of using some hack to get into the Dreamcast servers and waste all the joypad guys on there :-D

Jerzy Bondov

Nightdive's next one of these is Powerslave/Exhumed by the way. I just wish their Blood remaster was on Switch

Cold Meat Platter

Quake 3 was 'remastered' on Xbox360 about 10 or so years ago, no one played it though.

peanutbutter

Was it just that I had fuck all standards at the time, or was the PS1 port of Forsaken surprisingly good?

You can play Quaker 3 online in the browser these days if you want: http://www.quakejs.com/ I struggle to see the appeal of the whole series tbh

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

MC Hawking considers rewrite (nsfw: contains synthesised bad language)

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 24, 2021, 01:01:57 PM
Was it just that I had fuck all standards at the time, or was the PS1 port of Forsaken surprisingly good?
I never played the Playstation version, but Forsaken 64 was pretty darn great.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 24, 2021, 12:16:15 PM
Quake 3 was 'remastered' on Xbox360 about 10 or so years ago, no one played it though.
It was too early for the nostalgia cycle. If they rereleased it now, it would probably do quite well. You could market it to the Fortnite kids as well as the old fogies.

Barry Admin

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 24, 2021, 01:01:57 PM

Just a great game in general, especially now I changed the controls. The default setup is much easier to play, but you lose the glorious feeling of spinning in 360 degrees.

QuoteI struggle to see the appeal of the whole series tbh

I never liked Quake 2, but Quake 1/QuakeWorld was a formative experience. The first time I took a microdot I had my first go online, and I never saw anything like it for the frantic pace and such.

Plus it was very skill based. Playing Warzone this past week has reminded me how comparatively little skill CoD games require because of the insanely low TTK.

Quake actually required you to gather different weapons and think about range, which was revolutionary. You had to keep swapping weapons as a fight progressed and as your distance changed. You could be chasing someone for ages to nail them, and at the same time, you were also trying to be in certain parts of the map in order to grab armour and other drops spawning at predetermined times. Rockets were slow projecticles, so you'd learn to predict your shots, and maybe swap back to a railgun at the same time to try and nail them. It was a whole dance.

But the main thing for me would have been the advanced movement, really. The sense of speed and freedom and creativity you got from circle jumping, bunny hopping, rocket jumping, plasma climbing etc was absolutely phenomenal.

Beagle 2

I've actually been playing Breath of the Wild properly for the first time and enjoying it and all but it's been BINNED for this, can't see me going back for a while. So satisfying, everything's so precise and pointy and shooty and lovely.