Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quake remaster out now.

Started by Cold Meat Platter, August 19, 2021, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 25, 2021, 08:31:23 PM
I've actually been playing Breath of the Wild properly for the first time and enjoying it and all but it's been BINNED for this, can't see me going back for a while. So satisfying, everything's so precise and pointy and shooty and lovely.

Multiplayer wise? Are you playing multiplayer?

evilcommiedictator

Purchased now, will hopefully get some multiplayer going with the discord mates soonish, a few of them already have it

Beagle 2

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 26, 2021, 12:11:39 AM
Multiplayer wise? Are you playing multiplayer?

I've had a quick bash with a mate, for some reason it was crashing when I tried to join a general game. I'm not sure which maps are the best on the original, he was on PC obviously wanted to play Quake III instead after a bit.

Barry Admin

Unfortunately it feels like absolute dogshit on controller. I can't believe they've put in all these graphical options, but won't even let you change the controller deadzones or acceleration. Fucking hell.

Crossplay can just generally fuck off too. Same shit here as Warzone - it's turned on by default, meaning you get your shit pushed in by people playing on a computer, and when you turn it off, you can't find any matches.

Other than those huge issues, it's great. The multiplayer maps are way more of a headfuck than I remembered.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oh dear. I'm presuming the deadzone is quite high? One of my pet hates, that.

Barry Admin

Not sure it's too bad, but it's definitely there. My controller is knackered, but I get no sway here at all, when there is definitely sway.

The main problem is whatever happens when you turn, it just feels weeeeiird and slow, even with the sensitivity pumped up a bit :-(

You sort of get used to it, but it fucks your accuracy, and I dunno that I'll be doing much bunny hopping ffs. Such an easy thing to fix, too, but yeah, including the Nintendo 64 port was probably a lot more important.

Barry Admin

I realise now that Quake must have been the first game where I blew off the campaign indefinitely, in favour of battling real people online.

The level design is inspired, but...I just draw a blank after the first few. It's fucking brutal at times too, "here's a couple of big boys for you to fight in a room full of spikes being shot. You can take cover in this room, where we drop spikes on your fucking head instead."

Medieval setting still feels fucking glorious too. I had a look at Quake 2's space marine nonsense earlier, and it made me want to vomit.

Cold Meat Platter

Xbox has mouse & kb support I think if you can be arsed.

Shaky

I've sacked off the main campaign pretty quickly - it's brilliant, obvs, but I played it way too much back in the day to really enjoy it anymore. Feels too mechanical and I've been remembering were everything is a bit too much.

The "new" episodes are excellent, though, if rockbastard hard at times. They've been worth the money alone. Some really inspired level design and scale.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I actually played this first time round on the Sega Saturn and remember it running really well, even though I don't know how on earth you managed to control anything properly. There was only a d-pad on the Saturn controller, and I think the shoulder buttons rotated the character left and right, and then you held down a button to free look (then tapped it again to centre the view).

It sounds awful now, but I managed to get through the single player no problems with that setup.

Malcy

Finished the first episode of it. Would have finished ages ago if I could remember to save the bloody thing. Being put back several levels after a binge gets boring after a while to the point of not being arsed.

Barry Admin

Yeah, god, a world before checkpoints became common!

Any update to the controller settings yet, anyone know?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 19, 2021, 09:52:53 PM
Yeah, god, a world before checkpoints became common!

Any update to the controller settings yet, anyone know?

They've just updated with controller fixes for deadzones/acceleration on PC, I assume it's on XBOX too. (Edit: Aye)

Cold Meat Platter

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 10, 2021, 11:50:26 PM
They've just updated with controller fixes for deadzones/acceleration on PC, I assume it's on XBOX too. (Edit: Aye)

Fucking brilliant! Thanks for letting me know!

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 11, 2021, 12:04:38 AM
Fucking brilliant! Thanks for letting me know!

No worries man. There's new menu options for deadzones etc.

Barry Admin

Let's fucking GO. Bought it for 8 quid instead of spending another tenner on Game Pass. Feels fucking brilliant now, I'm like a dog with two dicks!

FOV pumped up to 110 really helps too. Ohhhh this is awesome X-D

Barry Admin

Fun game, CMP :-D fucking 300 ping tho lmao. I did clap cheeks in the previous round and took 3rd with 11 kills. Dunno if you can type at all on the Xbox btw, didn't see an option.

GoblinAhFuckScary

played a teeny bit of this on my housemate's xbox and couldn't stand using a controller. felt like walking on crutches

great game anyhow

Barry Admin

Yeah it's not ideal, but what can you do; I still need to fine tune the controls, but it's sooooo much better now. Gonna have to practice my strafe jumping and bunny hopping, and relearn the multiplayer maps.

Anyone else up for some multiplayer? Can get a few of us on a server for a blast.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 11, 2021, 01:19:58 AM
Fun game, CMP :-D fucking 300 ping tho lmao. I did clap cheeks in the previous round and took 3rd with 11 kills. Dunno if you can type at all on the Xbox btw, didn't see an option.

yeah the ping is killer man, 300 my side too. Funny seeing you in there! just joined a random game from the browser!

Barry Admin

Yeah! What was your name again? I saw another guy and figured he might be from here, ShatnersThirdNeck or something.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 11, 2021, 01:31:22 AM
Yeah! What was your name again? I saw another guy and figured he might be from here, ShatnersThirdNeck or something.

CrabsAntler is my steam name.

Barry Admin

Ahh yeah, I wonder if I can find you on Xbox, I'll have another look at the server browser.

boki

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 07, 2021, 05:30:39 AM
I actually played this first time round on the Sega Saturn and remember it running really well, even though I don't know how on earth you managed to control anything properly. There was only a d-pad on the Saturn controller, and I think the shoulder buttons rotated the character left and right, and then you held down a button to free look (then tapped it again to centre the view).

It sounds awful now, but I managed to get through the single player no problems with that setup.
I think it helps that the people who did the Saturn port used their own engine (originally built for Powerslave/Exhumed), so it was designed for consoles from the ground up.

Barry Admin

Still something a bit off about the controls, but vastly more playable. The single player really is astonishing.

I always knew and believed Quake to be one of the single-greatest games of all time, but that was just based off it ushering me into the world of online gaming/shooters.

Couldn't fucking find my way out of a map last night because I was so exhausted, and they really need you to focus :-) The Lost Mine is just jawdropping, though. I can't believe they were able to do so much with the engine back then! Set pieces and shit. And the way the maps all loop round in various ways, oh god, it's great, you really have to explore, it's not just the sort of "keep pressing forward/w" sort of straightforward shit you get nowadays.

Incredible game. And the soundtrack! And the iconic fx... I LOVE it.

Barry Admin

It still feels so smooooth and fast, it's an absolute joy to jump around in these worlds. I'm so thrilled that this has actually exceeded my expectations when revisiting it. The physics are so  much fun too. But yeah the feel - the fucking feel - it's incredible, and you can see why the engine was the basis for sooooooo many other games, and still is to this day. I remember playing Half-Life and just thinking it was boring, wildly overrated gash. Give me a fucking Shambler roar and a rocket launcher instead. I love how you can hear enemies lurking about, or you have to listen for secret doors opening... All these little clues that push you on to discover the hidden areas.

What a fucking game.

Malcy

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 11, 2021, 01:24:04 AM

Anyone else up for some multiplayer? Can get a few of us on a server for a blast.

Yeah I'll give it a go. I still haven't signed up for an account. I'm just lazy and wanted to play multiplayer straight away without creating an account.

Barry Admin

Wanna try now?

Room code HJQW - see if my internet can handle it.

Malcy

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 11, 2021, 10:19:53 PM
Wanna try now?

Room code HJQW - see if my internet can handle it.

I'll try now.