Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,476
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints

Started by The Mollusk, August 20, 2021, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT FUCKEN DATE

October 2nd
4 (12.5%)
October 9th
7 (21.9%)
Either!!! I'm wide open baby!!!!!!
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

The Mollusk

I have taken it upon myself to organise this because I think some of you are alright and I reckon I could spare a little bit of my life to getting drunk in your company. Please don't embarrass me by not attending.

I've got the first two Saturdays of October (2nd, 9th) free and am totally up for either. I'm not drinking in Wetherspoons. If possible I'd like to avoid anything too city-central because London is a fucking sty and during lockdown I have very much become accustomed to a quieter life not surrounded by yuppie gimps and scum-sucking tourist weasels. Trust me, it's worth the extra bit of effort.

So who's in then? I am, I'm in.

pancreas

We have had good times doing a crawl in Shoreditch/Hoxton.

https://londonpubcrawls.wordpress.com/2017/04/22/hoxton/

Both dates good for me so far

The Mollusk

pancreas

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I'd potentially be up for this. In terms of location my preference would be north London, so that I could just hop off the train at Finsbury park or somewhere and avoid crawling into the belly of the beast (Kings Cross). I am aware that this only benefits me specifically, but that's ok because I'm actually very important

The Mollusk

Quote from: pancreas on August 20, 2021, 12:06:59 PM
you weren't there, dude

You're right, I wasn't, because I didn't need to be sick at the time and the only time I'm ever going to be sick I make sure to be near a toilet.

Looking forward to meeting you though!

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on August 20, 2021, 12:34:29 PM
I'd potentially be up for this. In terms of location my preference would be north London, so that I could just hop off the train at Finsbury park or somewhere and avoid crawling into the belly of the beast (Kings Cross). I am aware that this only benefits me specifically, but that's ok because I'm actually very important

I live in Walthamstow so north London suits me fine. Good boozers round Finzy P area as well.

Retinend

madhair60

GoblinAhFuckScary

yes i'd love to! i have met mollusk before so i feel a little less nervy about the prospect

i'm trying to think of a good suggestion...

i usually go to superstore when i'm in dalston but maybe not that for reasons. i've enjoyed Farr's in dalston and that's opposite the overground

queen adelaide in cambridge heath is nice

oh and princess louise in holborn. it's a sam smiths yes but it's beeeautiful

palm tree is fabulous and somewhat near mile end which is on the central line so

sorry random choices but these were just a few that i often ended up at

shiftwork2

Just consulted my crystal ball and it said:

A few weeks of chat about great pubs then it'll be 'should we book, there could be a few dozen punters, we need somewhere spacious and quiet on a Saturday afternoon, hang on what about the Penderel's Oak, I know it's complete syphilis but it is practical and cheap oh alright then'.

The Mollusk

I am extremely organised all the time so I will get something good booked with enough advance notice. Most fuckers, myself included, will happily turn up wherever as long as it's a dead cert. Organising stuff is piss easy.

Good suggestions there Goblin, will stick them on the list (which is currently empty)!

jobotic

Do it in South London. No..Souther. Bexley....Dartford....Gravesend....Rochester....Man of Kent, Rochester. Sorted, see you there.

Are these things usually early kick off early finish?

The Mollusk

Last one I went to started about midday, then overspilled into a squat party in Deptford until roughly the same time the next day til the police shut it down. After that we sat in a park drinking Holstens, boofing nitrous balloons and rubbing cheap speed into our gums until Tuesday afternoon. It was alright.

Paul Calf

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 20, 2021, 03:32:13 PM
A CaB meet at a Wetherspoons in 2021? Really?

Apparently there are still people on tight budgets in 2021!

... which for a one-off event in London at least outranks whatever ethical stance you appear to be suggesting people maintain.

I agree with shiftwork2 that this is going to end up being at Penderels almost regardless of preamble discussion and we will have another great time getting garish pitchers of cocktails, shortbread and single plates of peas bought for us.

Neville Chamberlain

I've just checked my diary and unfortunately October is my 'hair-washing month'. Oh well, maybe next time :-)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also can we do this on Saturday 8th October please? That'd be great.

pancreas

Paul Calf

Shoveling money at an anti-democratic far-right funder of Nazi pressure groups or not drinking booze...I wonder which I'd choose?

olliebean

I won't be coming to this. One thing I've learned from the whole coronavirus thing is that I'm a natural recluse and actually prefer not having any face to face contact with people. Not that I ever came to any of the previous ones, mind, but I always thought I might, and now I know I definitely won't.

Up to you whether you want to cancel the whole thing in light of this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 20, 2021, 03:40:30 PM
Shoveling money at an anti-democratic far-right funder of Nazi pressure groups or not drinking booze...I wonder which I'd choose?

You don't go to meets, do you? Some people want to go to meets

A portion of those people don't have that much money and want to stretch it out. There are virtually no competing alternatives in London where that is feasible.

The same people may never go into a Spoons for the rest of the year but yes I am sure their one visit makes them the equivalent of a Nazi sympathiser you pathetic arsehole.

seepage

Are Hungry Horse just as cheap for booze, or just the food?

Neville Chamberlain

That Sam Smiths pub, The Angel, is pretty reasonably priced, isn't it? That's where I usually head when I'm in central Lahndan!

pancreas

Whatever the total difference is not to go to a spoons, I am happy to pay it.

Fambo Number Mive

I am not planning to go to the meet but was wondering if this would be of interest: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,88940.0.html

83p a pint. No idea how good it will be.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on August 20, 2021, 03:54:01 PM
That Sam Smiths pub, The Angel, is pretty reasonably priced, isn't it? That's where I usually head when I'm in central Lahndan!

£5+ a pint in London now since putting prices up by a large amount shortly after the Covid outbreakz so SS has become actually more expensive than some, removing one of the core reasons to ever set foot in one.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 03:56:36 PM
£5+ a pint in London now since putting prices up by a large amount shortly after the Covid outbreakz so SS has become actually more expensive than some, removing one of the core reasons to ever set foot in one.

Well, bugger me - genuinely rather miffed to hear that!

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 03:45:24 PM
You don't go to meets, do you? Some people want to go to meets

A portion of those people don't have that much money and want to stretch it out. There are virtually no competing alternatives in London where that is feasible.

The same people may never go into a Spoons for the rest of the year but yes I am sure their one visit makes them the equivalent of a Nazi sympathiser you pathetic arsehole.

Don't get fucking self-righteous at me, sunbeam. There's no need for that, is there? What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would anyone support a cunt like that just so they can swill piss?

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on August 20, 2021, 03:54:01 PM

Glasshouse Stores in Piccadilly / South Soho too.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 03:56:36 PM

Crumbs, haven't been in one in London for ages.

Paul Calf

I didn't realise that either. What reason is there to go in one now?