Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints

Started by The Mollusk, August 20, 2021, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT FUCKEN DATE

October 2nd
4 (12.5%)
October 9th
7 (21.9%)
Either!!! I'm wide open baby!!!!!!
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

chveik

drug fiends, paedo hunters and problematic dining etiquette, not to mention the baldness and the phimosis. be careful ou there

The Mollusk

This is a spicy list of attendees. Will update the list later and maybe do a bit more snooping on one fixed decent boozer to try and get something booked. No promises though, just over 4 hours sleep last night from steroid insomnia so I might fall over and bash myself unconscious at some point later on.

Currently it's looking like a booking for approx. 20 people on October 9th. I wonder if places even take bookings that size.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You'll all be leaving chunky deposits the morning after a day on the dunkels.

Tony Tony Tony

just been diagnosed with an incurable terminal illness so rare that it is now named after me.

Put me down as definitely maybe if my wife Doctor says I can make it.

If so I expect all there will attempt to cheer me up by buying me all the beer my frail body can withstand and telling ribald tales of how they will mourn my passing.

Butchers Blind

Yeah, mark me down for this. Going to break my CaB meet cherry.  Don't all fuck me at once.

The Mollusk

Just been having a look at the Bermondsey Beer Mile. I think if people are turning up around midday for this then there's a decent chance of us getting a large seating area locked down without needing to reserve. FourPure, one of the breweries here used as an example, has a long area of wall-adjacent tables which realistically could all be adjoined, plus people nowadays are less likely to sit too close to other groups of strangers of it can be avoided so I think we'll do alright.

I think a bar crawl is asking a bit much but I'm more than happy to stay in the same place all day. FourPure also does food but there will be loads of similar options in any of the places here so settling into the bar with the best seating for us once we arrive should be fine. If we do end up not all being able to sit together these venues are nice big open spaces so milling about round tables or splitting into groups won't be awkward and we won't be crowding any of the walkways or anything. This feels like a safe bet to me.

Anyone got any further thoughts? If not I reckon we should go for it.

madhair60

It sounds fine to me but I'd feel more comfortable if it was booked, locked down and that. Either way I'll be there though

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI think if people are turning up around midday for this then there's a decent chance of us getting a large seating area locked down without needing to reserve.

From experience of previous London meets you tend to get around 3-5 people until around 3pm when it starts growing, until around 8pm when it peaks.

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

Everyone should aim to get there at exactly the same time to avoid turning up late and trying to integrate with a large group of already pissed dickheads. Everyone do that please, nice one.

DrGreggles

Early start better for me, as I suspect I'll need to head elsewhere at around 6.

Spoon of Ploff

Found out there's an important family do on the 9th Oct... On the way over here to post this I only wrote one word in my diary. It simply says... 'Bugger'

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 31, 2021, 01:48:41 PM
Anyone got any further thoughts? If not I reckon we should go for it.

I dunno, they can get quite busy and at the moment it's possible there might be a backlog of birthday celebrations, stag parties etc. booking up tables, so might be worth getting something locked in, just in case?

Tbf I haven't been since last year- it's possible they were (understandably) a lot stricter on limited guests per booking, milling about between tables etc. back then, so you might well be alright. There are also loads of options along that stretch, though I suppose it sort of defies the point of a meet if you're not all sitting in the same establishment.

Anyway, I quite literally cannot organise a pissup in a brewery, so I'm gonna stop there. FourPure is nice though. Also if anyone arrives early I can recommend some nice bookshops in the area.

ZoyzaSorris

The Mollusk

My issue with reserving a table for 20+ people is the staff are likely to get miffed if the majority of the people don't turn up until at least like 4 hours after the reserved time, meaning the tables could have been used by other people if it gets busy. If people do start using those tables then it's pretty awkward to try and shift potentially boozy table hogs who contest that we should have turned up on time. Sounds like a stretch maybe but trying to plan for worst case scenario here.

idunnosomename

A table for 20?!? what is this, the Stonecutters?

Buelligan

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 31, 2021, 10:03:06 PM
My issue with reserving a table for 20+ people is the staff are likely to get miffed if the majority of the people don't turn up until at least like 4 hours after the reserved time, meaning the tables could have been used by other people if it gets busy. If people do start using those tables then it's pretty awkward to try and shift potentially boozy table hogs who contest that we should have turned up on time. Sounds like a stretch maybe but trying to plan for worst case scenario here.

Would it be sensible for four or five people to book tables for four or five people each?  Maybe at staggered times? 

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 31, 2021, 10:03:06 PM

I'm getting contact-anxiety just thinking about this.

jobotic

How annoying would someone be who only told you all at the last minute if they could make it? What an annoying cunt that would be!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Buelligan on August 31, 2021, 10:25:00 PM
Would it be sensible for four or five people to book tables for four or five people each?  Maybe at staggered times? 

Sounds a bit chaotic. I might try enquiring about reserving something for 10 people and mention they'll be turning up across the arvo and see how they feel about it?

The Mollusk

Alright you shites. I made an enquiry to FourPure in Bermondsey asking how they feel about me making a 12-person booking (the maximum amount allowed on the form) for around midday if it's likely that over half the guests won't be turning up until after 3-4pm. I'll see what they respond with.

There are a couple of alternative options here:

1. I make the booking for later in the day, like 2pm at the earliest, to guarantee maximum arses on seats for the venue. This will however still potentially involve having to constantly be like "nah sorry we're expecting more" when harangued for empty chairs by other punters.

2. We go somewhere bigger. In Walthamstow there's Truman's Social Club which is huge:

Outside:

Inside:

The beer's decent as you'd expect and it's on the Victoria line which is super accessible (speedy trains, very regular and linked to nearby rail from Kings Cross and Euston). They do food here and it's a stone's throw from the tube station. To be honest I'm leaning more towards this option, it's a decent venue and we'd have much more of a chance of landing a big space for everyone.

Thoughts? If there are no thoughts I will go ahead with it as I'd like to have it all sorted!

Butchers Blind

Looks good.  Victoria line access will be a bonus for me.

Small Man Big Horse

For mysterious reasons I refuse to expand upon I'm definitely much more likely to attend if it's in Walthamstow.

shiftwork2

The Mollusk

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 07, 2021, 11:55:11 AM
For mysterious reasons I refuse to expand upon I'm definitely much more likely to attend if it's in Walthamstow.

I also would like to pass no comment on how this particular choice of location suits my preferences.

peanutbutter

Truman's is within the range of places close enough to me that I could walk to even if I out of my head on acid so I'd be more than okay with that.

One thing in its favour along with victoria line access is Blackhorse Rd has a pretty decent OG line running through it and St James St station is about a 15 minute walk away going straight to Liverpool St. Not very central at all but I'm surprised how well connected I am from here.

pancreas