Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints

Started by The Mollusk, August 20, 2021, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT FUCKEN DATE

October 2nd
4 (12.5%)
October 9th
7 (21.9%)
Either!!! I'm wide open baby!!!!!!
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Dex Sawash

DrGreggles

1. Crisps.
2. The appropriateness or otherwise of listening to The Specials at a wake.
3. Bum sex.

pancreas

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

How totally fucking ace and brillo pads Lisa Jesusandmarychain is ( perennial topic).

The Mollusk

Attendee list update!

Confirmed (or as good as):
The Mollusk
pancreas
Angrew Lloyd Wegger
madhair60
GoblinAhFuckScary
Shoulders
non capisco
DrGreggles
billyandthecloneasaurus
Bobby Treetops
Butchers Blind
ZozyaSorris
Small Man Big Horse

Maybe? I dunno, I can't read you people:
jobotic
shiftwork2
Small Man Big Horse
Cuellar
Egyptian Feast
Emotional Support Peacock
Twit 2
Bernice
jobotic
Ambient Sheep

If your name's on the maybe list and you know you're deffo coming/not coming please let me know.

As previously mentioned I'll probably book a table for a bit later on in the afternoon, like 2pm, for 10 people. The place is spacious as fuck so I can't see it being an issue for us to either group another big table with ours when more of us arrive, or split off into a second large group on another table nearby.

Small Man Big Horse

Confusingly I'm in both lists, but I am can confirm that I definitely will be there, I finish work at 2pm so will try and make it for 3pm-ish.

Huge nerds might like to know that the venue is about a 2 minute walk from Krypton Comics and Books, a shop I often like to walk in to, read stuff for free, and annoy the owner by not buying anything.

imitationleather

A mutual friend of mine and Mollusk's has just become manager of a pub in Islington and he says twenty+ bald men calling eachother paedophiles will always be welcome in the function room.

poo

Quote from: imitationleather on September 12, 2021, 07:09:46 PM
...bald men calling each other paedophiles...

As everycunt is saying now like a twat, this is very much "in my wheelhouse"

Bernice

Egyptian Feast

You can put me on the green list too. Should be able to make it mid-afternoonish.

Ambient Sheep

I honestly won't know if I'm coming along until about lunchtime on the day, maybe later.

Gurke and Hare

Gurke and Hare

I've just been to look at the TSC website, and it seems that there's an Oktoberfest there that weekend, where you have to buy a £25 ticket to get in.

https://www.trumanssocialclub.co.uk/whats-on/oktoberfest

Not sure whether this will take over the whole place or just be an optional extra bit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Uh oh.

That will be an all day thing I expect. Good spot.

Bernice

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Bernice on September 14, 2021, 06:45:16 PM
Who has an Oktoberfest in the middle of autumn?

It is a late September based festival that brings in October, as it were, but as British people can't be expected to know that, it does make more sense that we have our cack pisstaking phoney versions in October.

To extend the point further, the actual event held in Munich was cancelled this year.

The Mollusk

Fucks sake, that's annoying. I was dead set on this as well. Might consider asking mine and imi's mutual pal mentioned above about the function room thing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Butchers Blind

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 14, 2021, 07:24:06 PM
Wetherspoons is no for me.

For context, that's where they've always generally been. I wasn't saying 'Go to Penderel's Oak right now'.

The Mollusk

Speaking to my mate now who says the function room of his pub (Snooty Fox in N5, right by Canonbury station) is available with 27 maximum capacity. There's a £50 refundable deposit which I'm happy to stick down, and a minimum bar spend of £400. Between 15 people that's £27 each, which, if some people are also aiming to eat here, is reasonable. As a very worst case scenario, we may end up having to lump in a few quid each at the end of the night to tally up if the minimum spend, but I doubt it'll come to that.

The one drawback worth noting is that the room is upstairs, so I'm not sure if anyone would struggle with this lack of disabled access? Would appreciate if anyone this applies to could let me know please! Otherwise I'd say this looks like a good backup plan.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That seems like it could be a decent venue and plan Nags. Individually I am more than happy to go there. Will definitely be dropping £40+ with a meal and drinks.

Re: access, no-one should be excluded on that basis so you have done right to give the best possible chance for anyone affected.

The Mollusk

Fuckinell man. He's just realised the date is a Saturday and says they might have a wedding booked in already. He won't be able to confirm till tomorrow now.

He has also said that he's happy to reserve a big corner of the pub for us if all else fails but that still brings up the issue of people arriving in dribs and drabs across the day and having our seats/tables nicked. I guess we'll see what he says tomorrow.

I'm sorry for the hassle! Nice one Gurke and Hare for spotting that Oktoberfest thing though, would have been a serious drain if we'd not clocked that.

imitationleather

The Mollusk

Right the whole pub's booked out for the day so that's that plan in toilet. Getting a wee bit frustrated with this lark now, will have a look at other breweries around Walthamstow as there's a few and see what I can muster from there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This is the problem of knowing loads of London pubs but that are mainly pokey historic ones. Seating 15-20 people however...

Anyway. I will try:

How about here: Pub On The Park
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qqkQtPpuFL3tQ9t78

Or here:
The Engineer
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vgJAx8LjWfUmjC2ZA

Or here:
The Lion And Unicorn
https://maps.app.goo.gl/6utoKyQmzf4bq4vYA

Or here:
The Turk's Head
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ybgre1rDov2L57Fv5

All bland but nice outdoor areas, seemingly not owned by as ostentatiously an awful person as Tim Martin but still probably awful people of some sort.

pancreas

What happened to organising a piss-up in a brewery? There is some rumour circulating that there are many.