Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints

Started by The Mollusk, August 20, 2021, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT FUCKEN DATE

October 2nd
4 (12.5%)
October 9th
7 (21.9%)
Either!!! I'm wide open baby!!!!!!
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Cuellar

The Princess Louise is a nice building. Or it was when I was last in it.

There are some interesting/historic pubs run by the SS, to be fair.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 20, 2021, 03:57:46 PM
Why would anyone support a cunt like that just so they can swill piss?

I'd gone right off the Spoons way before I discovered Tim Martin was a prime cunt after I went to that one in Nottingham, the Roebuck Inn, and bought a pint of Mansfield Bitter or something and it tasted like jet fuel with a hint of piss and cabbage. Still, it only cost me 99p!

Mind you, the fact it was 9:30 in the morning might have meant my taste buds weren't yet fully functional.

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 20, 2021, 03:57:46 PMGlasshouse Stores in Piccadilly / South Soho too.

I shall bear that in mind.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A lot of the venues I have down are too small to accommodate a London CaB meet or not open on weekends or don't have vegan options or a mixture of those.

We went to Howl at The Moon one time?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on August 20, 2021, 04:00:25 PM
The Princess Louise is a nice building. Or it was when I was last in it.

There are some interesting/historic pubs run by the SS, to be fair.

It's terrific but I am sure pancreas who is vetoing Wetherspoons will also veto SS pubs. To be fair, the Princess might be difficult to get 20 people round an area in there, it's basically all niches.

The Mollusk

Tbh I would be happy to concede and go to Spoons if that's the general preference. If eating avocados and Sabra hummus and drinking Brewdog beer has taught me anything, it's that you can't win because almost every big thing is fucking the planet and its people in some way shape or form. Sometimes if I'm out with friends and I'm starving I'll eat a meal with dairy in it just to avoid the fuss, but roughly the other 364 days of the year I'll actively go out of my way not to do that, know what I mean?

Ferris

The Mollusk

Yeah the Castle is a fuckin savage hole, I'm into it

Ferris

Would probably go to this if I wasn't thousands of miles away. I love the shit tip vibe of the Rochester, it was my local for a summer years ago, good times. It is shit though.

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thinking of large venues which might be less than utterly shit and aren't Spoons or SS pubs

- The Counting House
- The Heron, Paddington
- German Kraft (this seems to be a large modern beer hall with communal space)
- The Old Bank of England

Yeah, this is not something I can be very helpful with, maybe defer to actual Londoners on this one.
??

Ferris

There's one near clissold park which had a large patio bit but I'm years out of date at this point and won't be going anyway so what am I even doing in here? Christ, I have errands to run today. Sort it out.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If money is an issue, why not meet up in a public park, each person bringing a bag of cans? You could spread the cans out on a nice picnic blanket.

madhair60

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 20, 2021, 04:51:11 PM
If money is an issue, why not meet up in a public park, each person bringing a bag of cans? You could spread the cans out on a nice picnic blanket.

mate if I get on the floor that's me. that's the rest of my life forever. floor cunt

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 20, 2021, 04:51:11 PM

I think there have been a couple of outdoorsy ones but on this occasion, chance of rain in London in October possibly puts the full stop on that idea.

Tony Tony Tony

Can I shock you?

Getting space in a decent pub in that London will be a challenge. City pubs are the opposite. Although full of braying suits in the week they can be reasonably quiet at weekends.

Might I suggest summat like the Trading House on Gresham Street (though the  stuffed animals might put a few off)

QuoteWith its mounted animal heads, cavernous interior, tropical plants and stuffed songbirds perched on plinths, The Trading House is the type of eccentric outpost where you can imagine a Victorian adventurer taking a final supper before setting off for the Far East. Or perhaps we should say Down Under: this Grade II-listed building was formerly the Bank of New Zealand. An enjoyably inventive cocktail list and generous array of dishes (may we point you towards the hanging kebab?) only add to the fun. This is a quirky refuge for those City workers seeking something a little bit different.

If not how about the Lamb Tavern in Leadenhall Market? A bit of a tourist trap but given the world plague not as many tourists getting trapped lately. Advantage is that you can happily stand outside even if it is pissing down as the whole market is covered. The film geeks can pretend they are in Harry Potter.

I see from the thread prior to the last meet that it is CaB tradition at every meet that one of the participants is eaten. If that could be me this time I will be along.

Edit: and for the romantics amongst you you can nip just around the corner to the Royal Exchange to recreate the closing scene from Bridget Jones Diary outside the Mont Blanc pen shop.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 04:54:52 PM
I think there have been a couple of outdoorsy ones but on this occasion, chance of rain in London in October possibly puts the full stop on that idea.

Good point. Have it in Spain then.

studpuppet

Try the Bermondsey Beer Mile - probably as expensive as central London, but at least the beer's all right, and London Bridge station is fairly accessible for most people (especially those cunts coming in from Kent).

https://www.cktravels.com/bermondsey-beer-mile-london-guide/

I'm not coming by the way - the thought of meeting any of you makes me physically sick.

The Mollusk

Breweries are deffo the way to go if people don't mind spending £5.50 a pint. Big open spaces, large/long accommodating tables, good beer.

DrGreggles

I, for one, would be up for a knees-up around the old Joanna.

The Mollusk

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 20, 2021, 04:50:16 PM
There's one near clissold park which had a large patio bit but I'm years out of date at this point and won't be going anyway so what am I even doing in here? Christ, I have errands to run today. Sort it out.

Clissold Park Tavern. I met my fiancée there three years ago on our first ever Tinder date so if you want to find true everlasting love I can vouch for finding it here 100%.

peanutbutter

How much is a pint in a Wetherspoons in London? I'm a mad slow drinker so I don't really notice the difference in prices between places tbh. Years since I was in a Wetherspoons but not able to offer any viable alternatives so I'd go to one for a once off.

Depending on location on what I'm up to that week, I might go, I've said that a few times before though.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 20, 2021, 05:18:40 PM
Breweries are deffo the way to go if people don't mind spending £5.50 a pint. Big open spaces, large/long accommodating tables, good beer.

5.50 is unfortunately a good rate in brighton

jobotic

Where's the Rochester Castle?

I assume you're not talking about the actual castle. As much as I appreciate you all coming to me, there's no bar.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2021, 04:46:38 PM
Thinking of large venues which might be less than utterly shit and aren't Spoons or SS pubs

- The Counting House
- The Heron, Paddington
- German Kraft (this seems to be a large modern beer hall with communal space)
- The Old Bank of England

Yeah, this is not something I can be very helpful with, maybe defer to actual Londoners on this one.
??

The Minories at Tower Hill is good for large groups. Disclaimer: though huge, it gets rammed when there's sport on.

Small Man Big Horse

The good thing about The Penderel's Oak is that you can quietly drink wine out of a water bottle without any of the staff noticing / caring. Though I supposed if we all did it and were there for hours they might eventually catch on.

And I might be up for this, it'll depend when as it's my Sister's fiftieth in October and she's yet to decide what she's going to do and when, but I should know closer to the time.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why not bring her with you and let her meet the strange mutants you talk to on the internet?