WHAT FUCKEN DATE

October 2nd
3 (11.1%)
October 9th
6 (22.2%)
Either!!! I’m wide open baby!!!!!!
18 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints  (Read 7442 times)

Spoon of Ploff

• visitors are welcome to Sheerness
Re: London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 06:44:29 PM »
might be up for this... if its not some authentic hostelry at the arse end of the picadilly line.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • My meatus is beyond compare
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 06:56:30 PM »
How much is a pint in a Wetherspoons in London?

Not been since the pandemic but back in 2019 the cheapest was still just under £3, so would conservatively estimate there's some sub £4 pints in a few London spoons.

Not that this matters anymore.

I agree a big bright chrome venue like GERMAN KRAFT with lots of long communal tables, or a craft beer warehouse is probably the most accommodating option once you apply CaB filters, but they will definitely be £5.50+ a pint, minimum.

May I also point out that I was a very early anti-Spoons whinger, way before it became cool, so good everyone else has caught up with me, the best.

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2021, 07:11:22 PM »
pls pic “winkies” in drinkies

Butchers Blind

• Who blons a dumb de now?
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »
Couple bottles of Frosty Jack and a local park you're sorted.

seepage

• Undetectable in normal everyday use
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »
What about a lovely stroll along Little Venice and beyond, starting at the Warwick Castle and finishing up at the Union Tavern, Westbourne Park, in the hope of bumping into Shaun Keaveny. +winkies in drinkies.

non capisco

• My valve is screaming for appeasement.
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2021, 09:40:06 PM »
Yeah, go on then. If you're lucky I might even have relearned the art of conversation by October.

idunnosomename

• FROG ON THE BIG WHEEL
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
Clissold Park Tavern. I met my fiancée there three years ago on our first ever Tinder date so if you want to find true everlasting love I can vouch for finding it here 100%.
the brownswood the NW corner of Clissold Park is quite nice, pubby and spacious with patio and the usual shelters. Opposite a big fuck off pretend castle too

Butchers Blind

• Who blons a dumb de now?
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
At these meets do you reveal your real names or is it usernames only? Not sure I want to let daylight in upon magic.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2021, 11:59:07 AM »
That's the sad thing, they're all just one person.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• DIDN'T LIKE THE BEACH
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
thought i was just calling myself a goblin for a laff? narrowminded. and a bigot.

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2021, 12:18:57 PM »
At these meets do you reveal your real names or is it usernames only? Not sure I want to let daylight in upon magic.

We just call each other "cunt" to save time.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

• Your sleep paralysis demon
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
You must have to introduce yourself by your username first, then tell everyone your real name. "Hello. I am Utter Shit, but you can call me Larry" or whatever.

The Mollusk

• Das ist not eine booby!
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2021, 02:28:54 PM »
It’s so embarrassingly nerdy to have to openly refer to yourself as a username for your introduction. Personally I find it much easier to have a shirt printed with some of my most accomplished and brilliant posts where I came out on top in a petty feud or wrote some unnecessarily long shite about about how a snare drum sound on an old folk album changed my life.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• DIDN'T LIKE THE BEACH
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2021, 02:43:00 PM »
It’s so embarrassingly nerdy to have to openly refer to yourself as a username for your introduction.

yes i was thinking of this. in all honesty i'll do it once and if i am again referred by my username it will be intolerably cringe

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »
pls pic “winkies” in drinkies

If you came along, you could ensure it

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

• Your sleep paralysis demon
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2021, 03:01:31 PM »
yes i was thinking of this. in all honesty i'll do it once and if i am again referred by my username it will be intolerably cringe

Yeah whatever Goblo. Get a round in.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »

Conversely I only respond to "Horsey" and ignore anyone who uses my real name.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2021, 03:12:10 PM »

It’s like being 8 and using your secret spy names at the secret clubhouse in your mums garden.

I’ve only said my (terrible) username out loud once to announce myself. I’ll never do it again so if I ever make it to one of these outside of North America, you’ll just have to guess who I am.

Angrew Lloyg Wegger

• cast your dance and spill my wee
  • Golden Member
  • I promise to go under it
    • instagram ponce
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »
I still call people by their usernames at meets, because calling everyone by their real names means you have to lean and remember their real names. I've added about fifteen CaB people on Facebook and I still can't remember most of their names.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »
If I’m outside my house I will be wearing a Mountain Goats tshirt and baseball cap (as I am right now, actually) so I doubt I’d be hard to spot.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• DIDN'T LIKE THE BEACH
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2021, 03:30:57 PM »

Spoon of Ploff

• visitors are welcome to Sheerness
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2021, 03:38:36 PM »
the trick with introducing yourself is to use your real first name and use some of your CAB name as your surname... that way any norms that overhear won't look at you funny.

.. wish i'd thought of this years ago

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »
The Princess Louise is indeed lovely, but as others have said, the booths make it a non-starter unless you like your meets fragmented into four to six mini-meets of four people each -- we tried it once.  Also they make it wheelchair-unfriendly -- you can't park one without blocking up the aisle.

I would like to avoid Wetherspoons myself (was never too keen post-Brexit pre-CoViD, very unkeen post-CoViD) but recognise that there may be no alternative as so few pubs have the wide-open space required for a meet.  Plus, random CaBbers can order you drinks online.

However, a sudden thought: one offbeat suggestion might be the Smugglers Tavern, 28 Warren Street, W1T 5ND.  Warren Street or Great Portland Street tubes.

Ended up going there on a Friday night a few times back in 2018-19 and rather liked it.  Independent place.  Not super-cheap but not super-expensive either.  Not huge but is pretty open-plan.  Apparently there's further seating upstairs but since I was with a couple of wheelchair users I never investigated.  Not tried the food but seems to get good reviews.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/poij1uGTwvgzHrQw6

http://thesmugglerstavern.co.uk/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d6678339-Reviews-The_Smugglers_Tavern-London_England.html

Although according to: https://whatpub.com/pubs/WLD/16240/smugglers-tavern-london
"NB the WCs are now in the basement."

Also, it's not open on Sundays except for private hire, but meets are normally on Saturdays anyway.

For those who might want to carry on drinking after the pub shuts at 11pm, we used to then decant ourselves into The Northumberland Arms a short walk round the corner.  Too small to start a meet in, and a bit more expensive, but fine to finish one in as it's open til 1am.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SmLXCDUwpWzk74Ez7

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1044505-Reviews-Northumberland_Arms-London_England.html

There's also, unlike at the Penderel's Oak, loads of fast-food and other eateries nearby, for those who like other options.

I'm quite happy to answer to "Sheepy" at a meet, or "Amby" at a push.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 05:02:55 PM by Ambient Sheep »

The Mollusk

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »
I have the awkward thing now of choosing whether to introduce myself as Mollusk or Nags, since Nags is my old username but also my IRL nickname so I’m used to just saying that all the time.

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2021, 05:02:27 PM »
"Alan," shurely?  ;-)

I'd probably end up calling you Nags too!

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2021, 05:09:08 PM »

Anyone ever pretend to be some other account at a meet? Someone should wear crocs, cargos and bring a spaniel

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2021, 05:18:51 PM »
I used to work with rappers and hip hop producers a lot and it was frowned upon to use their real names unless you were a close friend or family, almost as if it's over familiar and assuming a closeness that isn't there, it often used to cause arguments. Because of this there was the superhero-esque thing mentioned earlier where you have to call people things like 'Butcha' or 'Koke' and occasionally realise how silly it sounds.

I'll be at this, sitting at an adjacent table and eavesdropping like usual.

The Mollusk

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2021, 05:27:38 PM »
"Alan," shurely?  ;-)

I'd probably end up calling you Nags too!

I was nagsworth for a couple years before the alan was added during one weird night on here when Barry was drunk! Have I found a crack in your encyclopaedic knowledge of CaB lore?!

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2021, 05:40:37 PM »
I was nagsworth for a couple years before the alan was added during one weird night on here when Barry was drunk! Have I found a crack in your encyclopaedic knowledge of CaB lore?!

Only inasmuch as that I didn't know that Barry added it by himself.  I certainly remember you being plain old nagsworth, I just assumed you'd asked for the change, or started a new account yourself, quite possibly after that phone-in you did. :-)

The Mollusk

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2021, 05:53:58 PM »
Eek, phone-in? Now you’re talking about something I have no recollection of!

Tags: