Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

London meet early October - cocks in expensive pints

Started by The Mollusk, August 20, 2021, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT FUCKEN DATE

October 2nd
4 (12.5%)
October 9th
7 (21.9%)
Either!!! I'm wide open baby!!!!!!
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 21, 2021, 05:09:08 PMAnyone ever pretend to be some other account at a meet? Someone should wear crocs, cargos and bring a spaniel

At the 10th anniversary meet, MissInformed brought along her two sons and primed them to tell everyone they were "An tSaoi" and "mook", but since they were only 7 and 9 respectively, it didn't really wash.

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 21, 2021, 05:18:51 PMI'll be at this, sitting at an adjacent table and eavesdropping like usual.

Heh, don't supppse you were the mystery lurker at The Angel all those years ago, were you?

Quote...someone who came along with a magazine, that they allegedly never read, and instead just sat there, observing us all very carefully.  Several of us noticed this independently.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 21, 2021, 05:53:58 PMEek, phone-in? Now you're talking about something I have no recollection of!

I can no longer remember the details, but you uploaded and/or (had) played out on CaB Radio a recording of a call you made to some local DJ (back when you were still in the West Midlands) telling some unlikely anecdote or other.  Really wish I could remember what about.

Anyway, you gave your name to the slightly-disbelieving DJ as "Alan Nagsworth", which was the first time I remember you using the "Alan" bit, and I *think* your username changed not long after that.  But who knows, I may have got the chronology arse-about-face.

I think there were a couple of such calls actually.  Distinctly remember the DJ saying something like "Welcome back to Alan, err, Nagsworth?"

The Mollusk

Ahh, yeah. That recording was me talking to Shaun Keaveny on 6 Music celebrating my home town with some quirky facts. I just called myself Nagsworth on that call with him (and have been reliably informed that he's cited me in some book he wrote as one of his favourite "Toast the Nation" callers).

The "Alan" came from a night boozed up on the forum when ziggy starbucks took it upon himself to oust me as "Alan Nagsworth" with a fictitious anecdote about me being a bully who tormented him through his school years. I guess Neil was on the sauce as well, as he changed a bunch of usernames to a load of daft shite, including mine, but I asked that mine not be changed back the following morning. I think Suttonpubcrawl got temporarily switched to xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx?

So there you go! Fairly boring but nonetheless comprehensive facts!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 21, 2021, 05:55:31 PM
Heh, don't supppse you were the mystery lurker at The Angel all those years ago, were you?

No, I was at the Angel but I was sat in one of the toilet cubicles all night so I could hear you all doing shits and pisses, not sat at a table like that other fella.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 21, 2021, 06:11:29 PMAhh, yeah. That recording was me talking to Shaun Keaveny on 6 Music celebrating my home town with some quirky facts. I just called myself Nagsworth on that call with him (and have been reliably informed that he's cited me in some book he wrote as one of his favourite "Toast the Nation" callers).

The "Alan" came from a night boozed up on the forum when ziggy starbucks took it upon himself to oust me as "Alan Nagsworth" with a fictitious anecdote about me being a bully who tormented him through his school years. I guess Neil was on the sauce as well, as he changed a bunch of usernames to a load of daft shite, including mine, but I asked that mine not be changed back the following morning. I think Suttonpubcrawl got temporarily switched to xXx SuTtOnPuBcRaWl xXx?

So there you go! Fairly boring but nonetheless comprehensive facts!

Hah, so much for my memory.  I would have laid money (and I'm not a betting man) that you used "Alan" on that call.

One of SPC's accounts (posts 2008-9) still is, always assumed he'd done that himself:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=7861

Seems his main one (posts 2004-2015 plus one this year) is untouched:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=1479

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 21, 2021, 06:14:27 PMNo, I was at the Angel but I was sat in one of the toilet cubicles all night so I could hear you all doing shits and pisses, not sat at a table like that other fella.

If I thought for a moment you were serious, you've just disproved it. :-)  The Angel is so small there's only one cubicle, and he was sat at the end of the bar all night, not at a table.  So nerrrr.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've never been to a CaBmeet, they sound like lots of fun. Who are the most regular attendees? It's Shoulders and Janie Jones, isn't it?

The Mollusk

Four pages in and no list? VERY NICELY ORGANISED

Confirmed (or as good as):
The Mollusk
pancreas
Angrew Lloyd Wegger
madhair60
GoblinAhFuckScary
Shoulders
non capisco
DrGreggles

Maybe? I dunno, I can't read you people:
jobotic
shiftwork2
Small Man Big Horse
Cuellar
Spoon of Ploff
Butchers Blind

Re: VENUE

Personally I am more than happy to do this at some sort of brewery for the aforementioned decent amount of space/long tables/actually good beer. The Bermondsey Beer Mile is a v good shout since I think it would be fun for us to all sort of float around the area drifting from place to place or just settling in one spot if we get good seats. There'll doubtless be good food there as well. I know it'll be a little more pricey that what some may want, but think of it like a proper day out, if you can, treat yourself!

Thoughts?

Egyptian Feast

You can count me as a Maybe? I dunno, I can't read you people. I'd be more definite, but it all depends on the date/anxiety/etc.

bgmnts

The Mollusk

The Canada crew have got together a few times haven't they? Blods, Ferris and QDRPHNC I think?

GoblinAhFuckScary

i think the brewery idea is the best compromise

i like the bermondsey beer mile idea too but that sounds like a big risk of having nowhere to sit and being in a huddle outside in the smoking area eventually

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on August 22, 2021, 01:16:19 PM
Has there ever been a meet outside of England?
I, Harry Badger and BlodwynPig met in Cardiff nearly a decade ago.

(Incidentally, Harry did a couple of things when I first came to Wales that I was very grateful for and I'm not sure I really made that as clear as I should have done at the time.)

I'd still be interested in a South Wales meet or something, but you might be the better person to sell the idea, bgmnts.

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 22, 2021, 01:47:06 PM
The Canada crew have got together a few times haven't they? Blods, Ferris and QDRPHNC I think?

Yeah, it was dead nice actually. They even met actors I had specially hired to play my wife and son. We still touch base every so often and I took Blodwyn to a Jays game.

Mind you they seem to have both left the forum since so make of that what you will.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethink it would be fun for us to all sort of float around the area drifting from place to place

People appear at different times of day and any group larger than 6 is like herding cats, so that sounds an unnecessary element to bring in to a large London meet.

Twit 2

pancreas

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 22, 2021, 06:01:23 PM
I might come to this, if I have a job by then.

What if your job is cleaning sex residue out of homosaunas to get them ready for Saturday night?

Butchers Blind

What's the chat like at these things, is it all highfalutin or is it appealing to the lowest common denominator. If its the latter I could be a go.

studpuppet

Why don't you all make badges of your avatars? Not normal size - one of those big seventies, dinner-plate, Bay City Rollers size ones? In fact, why not make a rosette? Not enough rosettes in the world these days.

Anyone using a GIF as their avatar is barred.

pancreas

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 22, 2021, 06:19:13 PM
What's the chat like at these things, is it all highfalutin or is it appealing to the lowest common denominator. If its the latter I could be a go.

Quote from: pancreas on August 15, 2021, 07:00:02 PM
I also remember eating a crisp off the table with no hands.

The Mollusk

Quote from: pancreas on August 22, 2021, 06:17:34 PM
What if your job is cleaning sex residue out of homosaunas to get them ready for Saturday night?

Then the meet would basically be a bus man's holiday for him.

billyandthecloneasaurus

madhair60

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 22, 2021, 06:19:13 PM

The last one we spent quite a lot of time shouting about noncing.

The Mollusk

Yeah for the record the full (small) extent of my intellectualism is reserved for carefully considered typing into this website. In real life my chat is almost entirely tenuous shit puns and lowest common denominator toilet humour. And nonces.

flotemysost

I'd love to meet you lot in real life and would gladly schlep to whatever dive will tolerate us, but annoyingly I'm not gonna be in London on the 8th (could potentially do the 2nd though).

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 22, 2021, 01:56:11 PM
i think the brewery idea is the best compromise

i like the bermondsey beer mile idea too but that sounds like a big risk of having nowhere to sit and being in a huddle outside in the smoking area eventually

Yeah the brewery idea is a good shout, the Bermondsey ones definitely take bookings (worth getting in there as they often get filled up with stag parties etc.). They're all pretty open-air too, in case anyone's concerned about ventilation.

The Mollusk

Yes hello Bermondsey beer mile I'm interested in booking a table for upward of 20 bald men who wish to drink beer and discuss the levels of strangulation their peni endure as a result of their freakishly constrictive foreskins. We are not paedophiles but we will be heavily implying that we are at great length throughout the course of the day. What sort of vegan cheese is on the burgers?

ZoyzaSorris

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think this may sadly be the meet where someone finally is killed.

Butchers Blind

WhoMe

May be a non-starter as the location is a bit awkward, but Grow in Hackney Wick could tick all the boxes for a large-ish meet. Really pleasant bar/venue on the canal bordering the Olympic Park. The area is proper 'I'm quirky me' but Grow tends to attract all types and ages so doesn't feel somewhere you'd stick out for not wearing a beenie or stupid trousers (don't let this stop you though). Decent craft beers and spirits, good outside capacity, mostly covered, including this pontoon thing they've just added jutting out into the canal where you can watch people in rented canoes struggle past, bumping off of the narrowboats. 

It's also just round the corner from Queens Yard which has a couple of good taprooms, again lots of inside/outside seating.
This is Howling Hops

Just a thought anyway