Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wireless keyboard and mice

Started by BeardFaceMan, August 20, 2021, 01:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Are these any good? I have a mouse I've been using for a while that's not too bad but this new wireless keyboard is dogshit, it's only 2 feet away from the dongle with nothing but fresh air between it and the keyboard and it still misses loads of keystrokes. Maybe it's because the mouse and keyboard are different brands and they're interfering with each other? I don't know, I've never really bothered with wireless stuff before, I've always had wired stuff.

To that end, I'm in the market now for a good wireless mouse and keyboard, preferably backlit. It'll be used for gaming but it doesn't need to be super high spec or anything. Any good options?

gmoney

I treated myself to a wireless Logitech G195 keyboard recently and its by far and away the best keyboard I've ever used. It's massively, massively expensive though, I could only justify it to myself because I've been working near constant overtime the past few months and I wanted to treat myself with something I'll use everyday. You can fuck about with RBG colours, but you can also set it to be one constant colour. It's never dropped out and it feels amazing.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/gaming-keyboards/g915-low-profile-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

Malcy

I bought this Logitech one from Curry's clearance Ebay account. It was only £16.49 due to it having damage to the box that was barely noticeable and came the next day which was great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353029935667

No issues with it really. It has an on/off button for your PC/Laptop but I've never got mine to work.

Neomod

Quote from: Malcy on August 22, 2021, 02:47:29 PM
I bought this Logitech one from Curry's clearance Ebay account. It was only £16.49 due to it having damage to the box that was barely noticeable and came the next day which was great.

No issues with it really. It has an on/off button for your PC/Laptop but I've never got mine to work.

I also bought this model and at first there was a problem with the wireless. Don't remember if it was because it was in a usb3 slot or interference but sorted it out and now it works pretty well.

seepage

Currently using a Logitech MX Master 2S mouse [superseded by version 3]. Nice weight. Can switch from 'click scroll' to fast scroll. Also you can control up to 3 different PCs. I got the K780 keyboard to match then replaced it with 'MX Keys' but I think I preferred the K780, however probably neither are suitable for button-mashing games. There's a weird bug in the 'Flow' software: if I left the cut and paste feature on then got data corruption in Excel even though I wasn't cutting and pasting between PCs 

Zetetic

I'm quite happy my MX Master as well, with the considerable caveats that:
- As actually produced, the scroll-wheel toggle stuff breaks repeatedly leaving it permanently in "fast" of "freewheeling" scroll mode. Had to carefully glue certain bits together to fix this.
- Logitech's software and the updater for that software is dogshit. It's fine for doing the configuring of buttons, I guess, but the software itself is prone to odd crashes, the updater (trivially avoidably) flashes command windows sometimes, every update is accompanied with dark-pattern bullshit you have carefully click around. But, if you can live without fiddling with any of the options, you can at least just not install it.

Got a USB rechargeable one, similar to this last year, changed my life.

Neomod

Quote from: Malcy on August 22, 2021, 02:47:29 PM
It has an on/off button for your PC/Laptop but I've never got mine to work.

Just tried this and it puts the pc into sleep mode (Win 10).

seepage

Quote from: Zetetic on August 22, 2021, 05:30:01 PM
I'm quite happy my MX Master as well, with the considerable caveats that:
- As actually produced, the scroll-wheel toggle stuff breaks repeatedly leaving it permanently in "fast" of "freewheeling" scroll mode. Had to carefully glue certain bits together to fix this.
- Logitech's software and the updater for that software is dogshit. It's fine for doing the configuring of buttons, I guess, but the software itself is prone to odd crashes, the updater (trivially avoidably) flashes command windows sometimes, every update is accompanied with dark-pattern bullshit you have carefully click around. But, if you can live without fiddling with any of the options, you can at least just not install it.

On the first version, pushing the scroll wheel down turned fast scroll on/off, and that eventually broke I think. On v2 the button behind the wheel does that, also fast scroll starts automatically when you scroll fast [!] then stops when you stop scrolling. I've used it quite heavily and it's still OK. Also on v1 the button behind the scroll wheel was quite high and brushed against the bottom my index finger which I found irritating, but they corrected that with v2, unless it was just by accident. I assume they've kept those improvements for v3.

Also with v1 you couldn't use the mouse while it was recharging as you had to put it into a dock, but now you plug the USB cable straight into the mouse.

Zetetic

I had the scroll wheel issue with v2 very quickly - but it wasn't that much of a pain to fix.

Malcy

Quote from: Neomod on August 22, 2021, 06:01:05 PM
Just tried this and it puts the pc into sleep mode (Win 10).

So it does! I must only have tried it to switch it on.

touchingcloth

I find my cheap wireless keyboard varies depending erratic and flawless depending on which USB port the dongle is plugged into, the most erratic being when the dongle is in a USB hub rather than directly connected to the laptop, so worth having a mess around with different ports to see if that improves things for you.

Malcy

Quote from: Malcy on August 22, 2021, 02:47:29 PMI bought this Logitech one from Curry's clearance Ebay account. It was only £16.49 due to it having damage to the box that was barely noticeable and came the next day which was great.

Sorry for the bump but if anyone does consider this keyboard then rip that fucking off button out. I have lost count the amount of time i have picked the keyboard up, dropped it, nearly dropped it and grabbed it only to hit the button (WHICH NEVER FUCKING WORKS IN A NORMAL SITUATION), cat has walked over it and turned the bastard thing off. An absolute nuisance of a key!

It also rarely works, especially when you DO want it to do it's job.

May not be an issue if you don't drink.

Neomod

Quote from: Malcy on January 16, 2022, 11:56:18 PMSorry for the bump but if anyone does consider this keyboard then rip that fucking off button out. I have lost count the amount of time i have picked the keyboard up, dropped it, nearly dropped it and grabbed it only to hit the button (WHICH NEVER FUCKING WORKS IN A NORMAL SITUATION), cat has walked over it and turned the bastard thing off. An absolute nuisance of a key!

It also rarely works, especially when you DO want it to do it's job.

May not be an issue if you don't drink.

Possibly, and note I haven't tried it of quick press=sleep, hold=off maybe?