Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Dogs" are everywhere

Started by difbrook, August 10, 2005, 03:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Has anyone noticed Mikey from BB looks like Noel Fielding in certain light?

I hate dogs. Worse would be if telephone companies did it over your calls with a soft quiet voice in the background ever 15 seconds saying, "BT" or "telewest" or "NTL", just to remind you whose wires you are currently using.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Utter Shit"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Anyway, I can't face watching The Incredibles now, they can fuck off. Does anybody know who I can write a letter of complaint to, to get this shit off my screen?
Wind it in, for fuck's sake. If you're willing to do yourself out of watching a movie you want to watch (incidentally, The Incredibles is crap) over something as petty as this, then you need to have a word with yourself.

Ho ho, wanker!

Is this a repeat of the old 'you're sad mate, there's loads more important things in life to worry about'

Well durrr, obviously, websites that don't take Switch are annoying, tube trains that take 15 minutes to turn up are annoying, but only a simpleton can console themselves by saying 'ah well, at least I don't have testicular cancer. Get it in perspective!'

If you don't mind a massive corporate logo over a film that's been made for visual splendour, then you are a wazzock who doesn't deserve eyes. It's exactly the same as the Tate Gallery sticking a giant 'Tate' sticker in the corner of all their paintings so you know which gallery you're in, and you can't take naughty photos.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "aaaaaaaaaargh!"Bah, I messed up the calculation assuming a square telly for some reason, however, if you take a look at the calculation below I seem to have got the same answer (this assumes a 16 x 9 unit screen)

1/5 x 16 = 3.2
1/3 x 9 = 3

3 x 3.2 = 9.6 square units = area of DOG

16 x 9 = 144 square units =  area of screen

9.6/144 = 6.667% of screen taken up by DOG

It doesn't matter what shape the telly is. The important thing is that the logo is a fifth of the horizontal aspect and a third of the vertical aspect. That means you could fit five logos across and three logos down. That means fifteen logos would fit on the screen. So one logo occupies a fifteenth of the screen, which you correctly said is 6.667%.

Utter Shit

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Anyway, I can't face watching The Incredibles now, they can fuck off. Does anybody know who I can write a letter of complaint to, to get this shit off my screen?
Wind it in, for fuck's sake. If you're willing to do yourself out of watching a movie you want to watch (incidentally, The Incredibles is crap) over something as petty as this, then you need to have a word with yourself.

Ho ho, wanker!

Is this a repeat of the old 'you're sad mate, there's loads more important things in life to worry about'

Well durrr, obviously, websites that don't take Switch are annoying, tube trains that take 15 minutes to turn up are annoying, but only a simpleton can console themselves by saying 'ah well, at least I don't have testicular cancer. Get it in perspective!'

If you don't mind a massive corporate logo over a film that's been made for visual splendour, then you are a wazzock who doesn't deserve eyes. It's exactly the same as the Tate Gallery sticking a giant 'Tate' sticker in the corner of all their paintings so you know which gallery you're in, and you can't take naughty photos.
If you're going to argue against points I haven't made, this relationship is never going to work.

I'll respond to the only bit that has any relevance to what I've said:

QuoteIf you don't mind a massive corporate logo over a film that's been made for visual splendour, then you are a wazzock who doesn't deserve eyes.

What rubbish. The film is still absolutely watchable, it might be a slight annoyance but not something worth getting your tits in a twist about, and certainly not something worth making an official complaint about.

Four Eyes

Quote from: "Utter Shit"What rubbish. The film is still absolutely watchable, it might be a slight annoyance but not something worth getting your tits in a twist about, and certainly not something worth making an official complaint about.

I bet you're the kind of sick bastard who eats food in the cinema.

I mean that entirely sincerely.

Johnny Yesno

I hate them too, BTW. On the Daily Show, for example, you get More4's logo in one corner and a blur in another corner where the original American logo used to be. If shows get passed from TV company to TV company will we end up with programmes in the future that are just one big blur?

And another thing. Why, oh why, oh why, do BBC3 have to show trailers for a show that's just about to start? What's the point? I'm going to see those scenes shortly anyway.

gazzyk1ns

What rubbish. The film is still absolutely watchable, it might be a slight annoyance but not something worth getting your tits in a twist about, and certainly not something worth making an official complaint about.

If people get their tits in a twist about it, and complain, then there's a chance DOGs might be made less annoying, or even removed altogether. At what point would it become annoying for you, how about something one third the size of the screen? Or would you sit there watching that steadycam shot in Goodfellas, only able to see a bit of a wall and a staircase, thinking "Ah well, nothing to worry about really."?

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Utter Shit"What rubbish. The film is still absolutely watchable, it might be a slight annoyance but not something worth getting your tits in a twist about, and certainly not something worth making an official complaint about.

Well yeah, it's watchable in that a film projected onto a shit-smeared bedsheet is watchable, or a film with Michael Eisner cutting in every minute staring at the camera saying 'you love Mickey Mouse' is watchable, but watchable isn't really good enough when you're a broadcaster, is it? A broadcaster should endevour to make their output as high a quality as possible, and slapping an excessively big logo (I'm not even complaining about a small Sky-style DOG, annoying though it is, this bastard logo is enormous) on their own film just for 'corporate unity', despite the fact that no other channel is this excessive, is disgusting.

I really don't understand the 'ah well, it may be annoying but I'll put up with it' attitude, it's so disgustingly British.

Besides, due to not being brain damaged, I'm not watching these films for the plot, I'm watching them for the visuals and animation, which is spoiled somewhat by a big ugly mouse head.
I also find it repellent that corporate marketing bullshit is MOST severe on a channel aimed at children. And I'm not even left wing!

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"I hate them too, BTW. On the Daily Show, for example, you get More4's logo in one corner and a blur in another corner where the original American logo used to be. If shows get passed from TV company to TV company will we end up with programmes in the future that are just one big blur?
Heh heh.

There's four corners on-screen, so ~7% * 4 = potentially over a quarter of a display could be lost to these dirty dogs. Ouch!

Purple Tentacle

Actually, that's a point... is there a danger of screen burn on plasma and CRT tellies with these bloody things?

Alberon

I don't like DOGs at all. Never have. As I said long ago in this thread I almost got on Right to Reply years ago to complain about it.

But having said that, some DOGs I can live with. I'd prefer it if they weren't there, but I can live with them. The More4 one isn't too bad, and they seem to take it off BBC 4-style for some films. But the E4 one is worse, mainly as it is rarely there alone, but is usually there with some words saying the programme is brand new, or a catch-up or advertising some other show completely.

Sky One did one of the worst examples of that recently on the run up to the Ricky Gervais Simpsons episode. Under the Sky One logo was a line of text stretching almost literally half-way across the screen for a week advertising the fact.

The Disney one is too large, maybe it was designed with small TVs in mind. Complaining might work. It did get rid of the logos from the digital version of BBC1, 2 and Channel 4, as well as causing the BBC 3 one to reduce in size.

The absolute worst form of screen junk is something Sky One played with then seemed to drop after a few weeks. I've seen it a lot on shows I've watched over the net from the States and it's appearing on the Sci-Fi Channel here now. It's where the channel has a little pop-up (sometimes animated!) advertising another programme DURING the current programme. Drives me up the fucking wall.

Oscar

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"I hate them too, BTW. On the Daily Show, for example, you get More4's logo in one corner and a blur in another corner where the original American logo used to be. If shows get passed from TV company to TV company will we end up with programmes in the future that are just one big blur?
The blur bugs me too. i think I've become immune to the DOGs (although I'm not sure sure i could deal with Mickey Mouse, at any size) but the blur makes some part of my brain skip, thinking "What's that? Why's it blurry like that? What's going on?" no matter how many times I explain to that part of my brain that's it's just a blurry ex-logo, it won't listen.
Damn stupid brain parts.

Complaining is always good anyway. Most complaints are made by crazy people who express themselves in a crazy way that is easily dismissed. Sane people complaining doesn't happen often enough.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Actually, that's a point... is there a danger of screen burn on plasma and CRT tellies with these bloody things?
I'm not a racist, but I think only olde tellyes are susceptible to burn-in.

butnut

Quote from: "Alberon"The absolute worst form of screen junk is something Sky One played with then seemed to drop after a few weeks. I've seen it a lot on shows I've watched over the net from the States and it's appearing on the Sci-Fi Channel here now. It's where the channel has a little pop-up (sometimes animated!) advertising another programme DURING the current programme. Drives me up the fucking wall.

Didn't Arrested Development do a marvelous piss-take of those bloody Family Guy ones that popped up during their airing in the States? I can't quite remember what it was though.

EDIT - aha yes. It was Tony Wonder's website that had them too. Brilliant.

imitationleather

Tony Wonder's website had the exact same Family Guy pop-up appear, and the narrator says that people thought it was a well-designed site but it was somewhat spoiled by the intrusive pop-ups. Great stuff.

EDIT: Damn you, butnut.

butnut

I cheated - I looked it up at the op.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"...And another thing. Why, oh why, oh why, do BBC3 have to show trailers for a show that's just about to start? What's the point? I'm going to see those scenes shortly anyway.
Heh.  BBC 1 are doing it too - with Doctor Who at least.  "The one to watch..." -- yes, I know - that's why I've tuned in!

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Alberon"The absolute worst form of screen junk is something Sky One played with then seemed to drop after a few weeks. I've seen it a lot on shows I've watched over the net from the States and it's appearing on the Sci-Fi Channel here now. It's where the channel has a little pop-up (sometimes animated!) advertising another programme DURING the current programme. Drives me up the fucking wall.

MTV and Nickelodeon do those fucking animated DOGS.

Er, not that I spend all of my time watching children's TV or anything. There's no law against it, leave me alone.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Angst in my Pants"
Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"...And another thing. Why, oh why, oh why, do BBC3 have to show trailers for a show that's just about to start? What's the point? I'm going to see those scenes shortly anyway.
Heh.  BBC 1 are doing it too - with Doctor Who at least.  "The one to watch..." -- yes, I know - that's why I've tuned in!

Perhaps because they can't have an announcer saying that Doctor Who's on next on BBC1 during the credits of Strictly Dance Fever (or whatever it's called) because it legally has to have Graham Norton talking during 99% of the programme and the continuity announcer can't get a word in edgeways?

But YEAH I think DOGs are WELL annoying.  Especially when you get little banners appearing at the bottom of the screen during a programme which tell you what's coming up next.  I hate those with an absolute passion.  Can't believe the BBC uses them on CBBC and BBC3.  Say what's on next during the end credits - FINE.  Don't actually ruin the enjoyment of the programme I have paid to watch.

PS Woof

Frinky

Quote from: "Dark Sky"little banners

I've been watching the downloaded Scrubs S5 eps, and I tell you, if the TV stations over here adopt even half of the stuff that the US stations use, you lot will have a complete breakdown.

Banners that take up around 33% of the screen after every commercial, and, later on, timed/interactive banners relating to what's going on in the plot so you can go online and enter contests.

Oh yes.

Four Eyes

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Dark Sky"little banners

I've been watching the downloaded Scrubs S5 eps, and I tell you, if the TV stations over here adopt even half of the stuff that the US stations use, you lot will have a complete breakdown.

Banners that take up around 33% of the screen after every commercial, and, later on, timed/interactive banners relating to what's going on in the plot so you can go online and enter contests.

Oh yes.

And of course "don't forget to go to the iTunes music store to download your favourite episodes". Bloomin' NBC.

slim

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Er, not that I spend all of my time watching children's TV or anything. There's no law against it, leave me alone.
The Sun Says:

DIRTY PURPLE VIEWS KIDS TV AND MASTURBATES (but not at the same time)

UK TV is slowly creeping towards US levels of advertising anyway; more, longer and more prominent DOGS, more ad breaks, more ads in the ad breaks, and so on. They just erode our enjoyment one small, barely enough to protest about, step at a time. Give it 5 years and we'll be where the US is now.

It's one of the main reasons I gave up sitting in front of the telly, to be honest (apart from the fact I never watched the fucker anyway) - the advertising is far too intrusive.

We've gone from a license to fund telly, to commercial stations carrying adverts and finally to the advertising shitfest we have today.

Purple Tentacle

That fucking Spongebob, he's just so fucking...provocative....

With Sky+ nicely eliminating the need to ever watch adverts (the missus and I had to rack our brains to remember the last time we actually watched an advert that wasn't being fast-forwarded, while smearing out faces with caviar, getting it all over our top hats), I can see in-programme or on-programme advertising becoming a necessity, as more people stop watching adverts. Perhaps a Sky News-style ticker tape at the bottom of the screen advertising pile cream.

Peking O

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I can see in-programme or on-programme advertising becoming a necessity, as more people stop watching adverts.

Yeah, that's already happening in the States, it's all over everything. On the American Idol finale (which I didn't see, stop sniggering at the back) apparently they stopped the show for a trailer of  X-Men 3, then came back to the contestants who were all standing there grinning gormlessly and hoisting their thumbs aloft. Then one of them said something like "cor, I can't wait to see X-Men 3, which is in theatres everywhere this Friday."

Hypnotoad.

I've heard Sky+ boxes can tell when adverts are on, and that the plan one day is to stop users being able to fast forward through them

I hardly ever watch programmes live anymore, can't bare to sit through fucking adverts, Sky+ and TVDrive are a dream come true

slim

Quote from: "Peking O"Yeah, that's already happening in the States, it's all over everything. On the American Idol finale (which I didn't see, stop sniggering at the back) apparently they stopped the show for a trailer of  X-Men 3, then came back to the contestants who were all standing there grinning gormlessly and hoisting their thumbs aloft. Then one of them said something like "cor, I can't wait to see X-Men 3, which is in theatres everywhere this Friday."
I wonder if this was a deliberate afterthought in the wake of the reality TV boom?

ADMAN ONE: "Great, now we have pliable, desperate people on telly with no integrity, rather than those big stars that want *spits* money for pushing product."
ADMAN TWO: "*sniff*"

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "The Duck Man"I thought the Incredibles was good.

It is good. Anyone who says otherwise is WRONG.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The film is still absolutely watchable.

Films and TV shows are works of art - they should be more than merely 'watchable'.

AlexS

To reach the yoof in the states companies are looking more to music videos (especially mobile phone and car placements) and computer games (Fight Night on 360 or just any EA game) etc because fewer people are watching TV and when they do they skip the adverts. Next gen TiVo's will force you to watch ads and will even download ads for you in the background and display  banners. They will also tattoo the inside of your eyelids

SOTS

I'm not really bothered about the DOGs that show us what channel it is, as long as they're not too big. The ones I hate that the ones in the other corner of the screen advertising programmes that we already know are going to on.