Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:31:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Dogs" are everywhere

Started by difbrook, August 10, 2005, 03:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton Morgan

I was out last night so the previous night I worked out the timer on my video and digibox as I wanted 'Silent Britain' to be taped. I was successful after my previous unsuccessful attempt at taping 'Shock Horror Massacre' on the timer the night before. When I came to watch the programme I was royally fucked off with the 'Red Hot Chilli Peppers' DOG in the corner during the first few minutes. People might say, "If you don't like that then buy the DVD." But I retort with: Fuck off! We don't all have money to burn.

It could have been worst. 'Easy Street' could have had a large white square with the words 'PAUL MERTON'S FAVOURITE SILENT COMEDY CLOWNS PLEASE DON'T SWITCH OVER'. However I don't see why the BBCFOUR logo could not have been tastefully faded out just before the film was shown. Anyway I thought BBC4 was meant to be the channel that was a cut above ITV2, ftn and TMF. A DOG makes it exactly the same. It's bad enough when films on telly are panned and scanned despite the fact the most fuckers have fucking widescreen television sets. I'm thinking of the recent 'Once A Upon A Time' season on ITV4. Grrrrrrrr!!!! Use your influence Mr. Cox!

humanleech

A DOG is a tiny tug to catch the viewer. People have notions of what kind of programme a channel shows, and if they're 'channel-surfing' they're that bit more likely to stop and watch if there's a recognisable logo for it, (especially during advertisements).
The whole thing is about fear of losing apathetic and 'channel surfing' viewers.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "humanleech"A DOG is a tiny tug to catch the viewer. People have notions of what kind of programme a channel shows, and if they're 'channel-surfing' they're that bit more likely to stop and watch if there's a recognisable logo for it, (especially during advertisements).
The whole thing is about fear of losing apathetic and 'channel surfing' viewers.

But the EPG shows you which channel you'e watching, and then quickly disappears. Why do you need a DOG to stay there permanently?

Alberon

DOGs are all about the brand identity. They want you to identify that programme with their channel. DOGs first appeared back on analogue and with pop-up banners and EPGs they aren't needed for identification anymore.

BBC 4 does tend to take its DOG off during films and most drama and seemingly randomly at other times.

As to HDD recorders being fixed to stop fast forwarding ads, I'm not too worried. Even if Sky+ did it (which seems unlikely from the uproar it would generate) there would still be cheap Far East machines that will do it. Or at least can be unlocked to do it, just like the way most DVD players can be made region free.

humanleech

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "humanleech"A DOG is a tiny tug to catch the viewer. People have notions of what kind of programme a channel shows, and if they're 'channel-surfing' they're that bit more likely to stop and watch if there's a recognisable logo for it, (especially during advertisements).

But the EPG shows you which channel you'e watching, and then quickly disappears. Why do you need a DOG to stay there permanently?
Maybe to keep reminding you that this is still what you want to watch? I think what Alberon says about 'Brand Identity' is true, though it's obviously not as strong as 'Nike' or whatever. More what you feel more comfortable with in that swirling mass.

Boing

And the reason I pay a licence fee is because the Beeb doesn't do ads?Even for itself?

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Boing"And the reason I pay a licence fee is because the Beeb doesn't do ads?Even for itself?

It's always done ads for itself, though.  It has to, to remind you that you spent your money wisely.

I don't mind when they're well cool ads like the Perfect Day one.  That was awesome.  I have that downloaded somewhere...  

*potters off to find it and to swell with patriotic pride towards the British Broadcasting Corporation*