Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How is a coughing episode defined?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 22, 2021, 08:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Is a coughing episode a single cough?

I coughed once yesterday morning because some saliva went down the wrong way (partly due to posture) then a few times a bit later, I think because some rice was stuck in my throat. Then later that day I coughed once.

I know the saliva cough doesn't count as I was coughing to clear my throat, but for the other coughs would they count as one or two coughing episodes? I know we need to get a test if we have three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours so was wondering how many more coughing episodes I need to look out for.

Sorry if these sounds like a silly question but I find the Government guidance on this to be somewhat confusing. I think they should define what a coughing episode is.

Fambo Number Mive

I know it is somewhat late in the pandemic to ask this, but to be honest I don't usually cough more than once per day so haven't really asked myself this question.

Chedney Honks

You haven't got Covid, I'm absolutely certain, but you probably do need a complete trachea replacement by the sounds of it.

SpiderChrist

Need to change your weed to baccy ratio a bit.

All Surrogate

I looked on YouTube for an example of something I would call a coughing episode (WARNING! Contains Gordon Ramsay!):

Waitress Can't Stop Coughing After Trying Food | Kitchen Nightmares

Fambo Number Mive, what you describe doesn't match that at all. I think you're fine.

greencalx

We pondered this question extensively when child's cold turned into a cough. Test was negative anyway.

The delta variant seems to have more cold-like symptoms. Headache. Sore throat. Temperature. Cough not so much. And loss of smell/taste seems to come later.

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks everyone. I know I get a bit too worried about things being symptoms but I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that could put others at risk.

Zetetic

Right now, I wouldn't worry about erring on the side of "get a PCR test" if it'll make you feel better. Demand is still low enough that even the UK testing network should be able to cope without shitting themselves.

Old Thrashbarg

The government guidance figure is completely arbitrary. If you feel like you've got a cough caused by infection, get a test. If you've coughed a couple of times because some saliva/rice has gone down the wrong way, you don't need to get a test. But if you're going to panic about it being a possible symptom of Covid, get a test.

Though be aware that taking the test night well make you cough. You don't need to take another test immediately afterwards because of those coughs.

falafel

unless you're going to panic about it being a possible symptom of Covid, in which case

Cold Meat Platter

What about if you clear your throat?

falafel

PCR test, then lateral flow every other Tuesday for three years

Ed: seriously, the peace of mind from just dropping your swab off never mind getting a result is worth just hedging your bets for if you're legitimately concerned. If there is a risk of getting compulsive about it though, that's a slightly different proposition I suppose.

falafel

falafel

Cold Meat Platter

What constitutes a shitting episode? Or is that another thread?

Cold Meat Platter

As in shitting rather than coughing. What weight of tod/volume of effluent requires the moniker 'episode'?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on August 22, 2021, 04:04:45 PM
Right now, I wouldn't worry about erring on the side of "get a PCR test" if it'll make you feel better. Demand is still low enough that even the UK testing network should be able to cope without shitting themselves.
As of this morning, I'm considering slightly revising this position.