Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The CaB Meets Thread

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, August 22, 2021, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quite envious of you folks what attend CaB Meets. Meeting all those boys and girls from CaB in the flesh! They always sound like a right barrel of laughs, too! Also, at least one CABber has met their Top life partner at such meets!
So, I'd appreciate it if this thread could be used to inform myself and other CaB folk Who can't be arsed to haven't been able to attend these glorious events about things what have happened there. Best ever CaB meet- up? Worst ever CaB meet up? Most interesting incident? Funniest incident? Has anyone ever made a right cunt of themselves at a meet up? That sort of thing. I'm sure there's a wealth of tales to tell; and one fine day, I too shall be in attendance at a Cab meet. Until that day, however, I'm happy to peruse the tales of amusement that shall be presented in this very thread- like object.

who cares

Didn't you hold a meet-up in Gdansk or somewhere Lisa? How did that go?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: who cares on August 22, 2021, 10:54:20 AM
Didn't you hold a meet-up in Gdansk or somewhere Lisa? How did that go?

Actually, there *was* a (very) mini meet- up in Tartu ( The Birmigham of Estonia), back in 2017. This involved just myself and a now- banned member who was living there ( still lives there, I think). One of us was teetotal. Not really any great incidents to report from it, sadly. :(

who cares

Sounds pretty exotic.

Not sure I'd want to attend a CaB meet. I'd like to meet CaBBers like me for no-holds-barred chat action but I'm from a large family and frankly traumatised by it. I only really enjoy one-to-one. I wish it wasn't so.

El Unicornio, mang

I went to a London one about 10 or so years ago. Little Hoover and Ronnie the Raincoat are two I recall being there. I remember going up to one pair who were sat at a table a bit apart from the main table and saying "Hey I'm The Unicorn, nice to meet you". They looked really bewildered and just kind of ignored me which I thought was really rude, until it later dawned on me that they weren't part of the meetup.

the science eel

I'm in Edinburgh for two more weeks and happy to meet for a quiet coffee or drink or walk or something. No pub sesh or anything like that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I remember at first not really knowing what people looked like and the method in those days was essentially go up to the baldest awkwardest people in the room and say... 'chris.. Morris?'

Jockice

Never done one. Although I have taken part in several of Dr Greggles' excellent pop quizzes to prove I'm not a totally fictitious character. Unlike my girlfriend.

Jockice

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 22, 2021, 09:08:12 PM
I remember at first not really knowing what people looked like and the method in those days was essentially go up to the baldest awkwardest people in the room and say... 'chris.. Morris?'

At the first meet I went to I met 4 or 5 CaB members who I expect haven't been here for 15 years or so, and after a few drinks in Soho we went dancing in a club to a Kylie tribute act. Now I think about it, that must have been a very long time ago.

The last one I went to I got excessively drunk and was not very nice to someone who was obviously having a hard time in their life. I'm not totally sure how I should have dealt with the situation but surely not the way I did. One of a few occasions which has made me reevaluate my relationship with alcohol.

Jockice

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on August 22, 2021, 09:54:51 PM

The last one I went to I got excessively drunk and was not very nice to someone who was obviously having a hard time in their life. I'm not totally sure how I should have dealt with the situation but surely not the way I did. One of a few occasions which has made me reevaluate my relationship with alcohol.
Po9r [banned member]

Icehaven

The first I went to featured the lovely Serge, who saw me wandering around a Manchester pub looking a bit lost and somehow knew I was there for the CaB meet. I mean I wasn't, but he just seemed like a great bloke and I didn't want to let him down.

canadagoose

I haven't been to a meet since 2014 now. What about an Edinburgh one? How about down Leith, wink wink, nudge nudge?

Mr_Simnock

I've been to meets in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Hebden Bridge, Cambridge, London and Great Yarmouth. They are all good, if you haven't been to one get yourself down, you will be welcomed.

JesusAndYourBush

At one of the Leeds meets we had some actual falling rhrough the bar!  (There was video evidence but we never got to see it.)

Mr_Simnock

Also some of the at Yarmouth one, that was such a good meet, salad days that one.

Chollis

all these tales of everyone being lovely and getting along well are great but is there one where someone gets chokeslammed through a table or something

madhair60

Quote from: Chollis on August 22, 2021, 11:12:29 PM
all these tales of everyone being lovely and getting along well are great but is there one where someone gets chokeslammed through a table or something

A wake lady was EJECTED from the pub at the last Cambridge one

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on August 22, 2021, 10:06:40 PM
Po9r [banned member]

Is his name not to be taken even in vain then? I mean it's not as if it's even...[removing this as it seems to be yet another reference to a banned member]. Obviously.

shiftwork2

I think you've done another one there jocky.

Jockice

Ambient Sheep

I don't even understand the "Po9r" bit.

EDIT: Oh, it's a typo[nb]Yes, ok then, a literal.[/nb] for "poor", isn't it?  I was being thick when staring at it late last night.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Jockice on August 23, 2021, 09:06:43 AM
Is his name not to be taken even in vain then?

No.

And I don't know what the rest of the post means, but I get the gist. No to that, too.

Move on. I've enough trouble trying to keep hateful, ban-evading cunts off here; I don't need 1) more deranged correspondence from them, or more pertinently 2) for them to sign up yet again because CaB keeps giving them attention when they aren't even on here. (Which I've seen happen far too many times now.)

Jockice

Point taken. But I don't think I've ever mentioned a banned member on here before and didn't know how you (or indeed anyone) would react. As far as I know they're the only two i could name who have been banned while I've been around so it won't be happening again.

Jockice

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 23, 2021, 10:05:19 AM
I don't even understand the "Po9r" bit.

EDIT: Oh, it's a typo[nb]Yes, ok then, a literal.[/nb] for "poor", isn't it?  I was being thick when staring at it late last night.
Probably. I can't remember.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on August 22, 2021, 09:54:51 PM
The last one I went to I got excessively drunk and was not very nice to someone who was obviously having a hard time in their life.

The mismatch between this and your username is amusing.

mr. logic

I'm interested in these too. When we do WhatsApp groups for the World Cup and stuff, I always cringe when stuff from the group is quoted back or discussed in person. How is it at meets? Do people quote memes and stuff or just chat as though they happen to know each other?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

poo

Might go if held west of the 3rd meridian

canadagoose

Quote from: poo on August 23, 2021, 09:30:20 PM
Might go if held west of the 3rd meridian
This is a good idea (mainly because I'm west of 3°W).