Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anti-vax cunts storm ITN

Started by Bad Ambassador, August 23, 2021, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 23, 2021, 07:09:49 PM
Our family happily watched snooker on a black-and-white TV up until 1979. Just Pot Black in those days, I think.

It was surprisingly easy, tbh, the only two colours that were a bit tricky to distinguish were green and brown.

The reds were a little similar to the brown (IIRC) but the quantity issue sorted that out, until it was down to the last red, which was the only bit that was tricky to watch.  But yellow, pink and blue (as well as white and black, natch) were piss-easy.

Anyway, you're just watching it, you don't have to actually play.

Goldentony

they had clive everton or whoever shouting at you too, although sometimes the commentary was just square wave feedback

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 23, 2021, 07:39:16 PMAnyway, you're just watching it, you don't have to actually play.

Exactly.

Quote from: Goldentony on August 23, 2021, 07:42:05 PMthey had clive everton or whoever shouting at you too, although sometimes the commentary was just square wave feedback

Nah, it was "Whispering" Ted Lowe, whom my father hated.  Not for the whispering, but for apparently stating the obvious all the time.  "Mr. Obvious", he called him.  Frequently, and crossly.

I suppose the obviousness could have been to help the watchers of b/w TVs...

Mr Farenheit

Our family happily watched snooker on a black-and-white TV up until 1979. Just Pot Black in those days, I think.

It was surprisingly easy, tbh, the only two colours that were a bit tricky to distinguish were green and brown.

The reds were a little similar to the brown (IIRC) but the quantity issue sorted that out, until it was down to the last red, which was the only bit that was tricky to watch.  But yellow, pink and blue (as well as white and black, natch) were piss-easy.

Alex Higgins used to play so pissed that he could only see in black and white.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Goldentony on August 23, 2021, 04:14:58 PM
WHERES FRED DINENAGE WHERE IS HE HEY BRING HIM TO ME

I reckon Jack Hargreaves would have been an anti-vaxxer. Gaz Top, I'm not so sure. Could go either way.

Goldentony

Gaz and the Bitsa people is a hard one to call

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 24, 2021, 12:19:26 AM
Exactly.

Well, not exactly. I'm no sports fan but I thought the point of watching sport was to understand what the hell is going on.

I guess if you were only watching them pot one colour, it would have been piss easy.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 24, 2021, 12:19:26 AM
Exactly.

Nah, it was "Whispering" Ted Lowe, whom my father hated.  Not for the whispering, but for apparently stating the obvious all the time.  "Mr. Obvious", he called him.  Frequently, and crossly.

I suppose the obviousness could have been to help the watchers of b/w TVs...

Where the catchphrase 'oh, that's a bad miss' comes from, innit?

KennyMonster

Quote from: buttgammon on August 23, 2021, 05:07:57 PM
When I was a kid, some friends of the family only had a tiny black and white TV, which was a bit of the novelty in the 90s. I stayed with them for a while and was fascinated with this. "How do you watch the snooker?" I asked. They simply said they don't watch snooker.

Black and white TVs were cool

You could hold a magnet up to the screen and the image would bend and stretch following the magnet.

You could do it to colour TVs too but it would damage it.