Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are they fucking waiting for?

Started by Barry Admin, August 23, 2021, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58300969The time is not right to re-impose tighter restrictions despite concern over the recent rise in Covid-19 cases, the health minister has said.

Northern Ireland has the highest infection rate in the UK.

Absolutely fucking ludicrous.

Fambo Number Mive

Doing even worse than plague country England in terms of Covid cases is not a good place for Northern Ireland to be in.

Northern Ireland is now completely purple on the UK coronavirus map.

I note it also has the lowest vaccination rate of the four countries that make up the UK - and the SSE area's vaccination centre has now closed.

buttgammon

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 04:47:53 PM
I note it also has the lowest vaccination rate of the four countries that make up the UK - and the SSE area's vaccination centre has now closed.

This is quite strange, because they seemed to be doing well at one point - IIRC, it was at least theoretically easier to get a vaccination there than most places at one point, as registration was opened to any adults at a fairly early point. I wonder what's changed.

I can say this now but I considered getting vaccinated at the SSE in Belfast at one point, despite living in Dublin, and I'd have been able to do it by virtue of being a British citizen. I was very close to booking my train tickets and everything; I hesitated because I was worried about how the paperwork/arrangements for a second dose would work and at around the same time, the Republic of Ireland massively accelerate the vaccine programme here, to the extent that we're now far ahead of most other European countries.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 04:47:53 PM
Doing even worse than plague country England in terms of Covid cases is not a good place for Northern Ireland to be in.

Northern Ireland is now completely purple on the UK coronavirus map.

The Staunch don't need Papist vaccines. The fury of their hatred of all things shall protect them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 23, 2021, 03:30:12 PM
Absolutely fucking ludicrous.

What's the situation like for hospitals? That's really the only metric that will get UK & NI politicians even slightly itchy to reinstate lockdown measures.

Kankurette

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 23, 2021, 07:28:10 PM
The Staunch don't need Papist vaccines. The fury of their hatred of all things shall protect them.
Vaccines are for Themmuns. YEEOOOOOOOO

Barry Admin

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 23, 2021, 07:30:17 PM
What's the situation like for hospitals? That's really the only metric that will get UK & NI politicians even slightly itchy to reinstate lockdown measures.

Good point. I dunno, I'll ask my Mum, but she hasn't mentioned anything about a big rise in numbers again of late. Not that I recall anyway.  Actually, I do recall her saying that they were looking loads of people for overtime, but that was at the end of June and I had the impression it settled down again.

I dunno why it's got so bad here, I suspect a lot of it is just people's reticence to wear masks and stuff - although they're happy enough to prance about in fucking Balaclavas when they need to!

My cousin's two wee girls got it, and then he ended up with Covid pneumonia the week after that. I'm ill now with some kind of virus because shop workers generally don't bother to wear masks. I think I'm going to have to take this as a warning, and stop even going to the fucking corner shop now.

NI is quite a rough place, so for instance, I remember people mocking me for wanting them to socially distance in shop queues. "We're all gonna die some time" was a phrase that was used by two cunts who were aghast that I didn't want their stupid, maskless faces anywhere near me last year. So I replied, "yeah, but I'd rather it was later rather than sooner."

Barry Admin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58309750

Very sad story; they're now asking pregnant women to get the vaccine cause this woman dies of Covid two weeks after giving birth.

Glad I stayed away from the bonfires and stuff again this year, I'm sure that led to a big upsurge.

Zetetic

Hospitals absolutely fucked across the UK, but I imagine it's harder to tell the difference in NI.

Fambo Number Mive

Data is 5 days old, but the latest numbers for Fermangh and Omagh on the covid map of the UK show it to have 1023.5 cases per 100,000 people. 1201 cases in the seven days to 19th August.

Followed by Derry City and Strbrane on 890.7 cases per 100,000 and 1346 cases in the seven days to 19th August.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Northern Irish and their predilection for standing in narrow poorly ventilated corridors coughing.

Cloud

The problem of course is that it's kind of hard to predict even now what the hospital numbers will do.  But they lag, so any action taken on the back of hospital numbers will undoubtedly be a bit late.

Realllly not up for another lockdown but some mask enforcement wouldn't go amiss in places like shops, and testing requirements for clubs, bigger gatherings etc.

Barry Admin

Just what we needed, another anti-vax cunt, and she's a doctor:

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-58315530A Londonderry GP has been suspended for comments she made about the Covid-19 vaccination programme.

Dr Anne McCloskey, a former Aontú councillor, expressed concerns in a social media video about young people being given the Covid-19 vaccine.

The Health and Social Care Board (HSCB) said it was suspending Dr McCloskey "as a precautionary measure while it undertakes a full investigation".

Dr McCloskey cannot work for the health service during that time.

The HSCB said that suspension was "not an automatic occurrence when undertaking an investigation".

In the nine-minute video posted on Sunday, Dr McCloskey made a number of claims, including that there was not enough evidence that it was safe for young people to be vaccinated.

Dr McCloskey said she was "distraught" by the number of young people "damaged" by "unlicensed and unapproved" vaccines.

She said many young people had been "coerced, bribed or bullied" into being vaccinated and that vaccines were "malevolent".

steveh

Had a minor operation on Monday and then two days in hospital. On the first night the post-surgery ward didn't have its required headcount and whereas normally it seemed they put people into different bays depending on whether they were on their first or a subsequent night they put everyone in together so they could cope. It didn't help that there was one old guy causing problems and being abusive to staff and another with dementia who in the after-effects of his procedure had no idea that night where he was or even at times who he was. This was apparently at lower routine surgery numbers too.

On Tuesday the hospital converted another ward for Covid cases, so two nurses were redeployed there because of their experience. Outside the senior nurses there was a mix of agency staff new to the ward and students from other teaching hospitals who had just enough experience to be allowed - did a double-take when first being attended to by a nurse whose lanyard identified her as a trainee midwife. One of the sisters said that every day it was a different mix of people who had usually never worked together before. On Tuesday night there was a senior day nurse who only got to leave at 10pm and they mentioned a nurse on the night shift who the previous week had been there until 1pm because there was nobody else who could deal with an issue.

The treatment of NHS medical staff by the government is utterly disgusting and seeing what they go through in person was distressing really. I know I wouldn't be able to keep going in the face of all that.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 25, 2021, 03:46:44 AM
Just what we needed, another anti-vax cunt, and she's a doctor:

let's just fix this first
QuoteA LondondDerry GP has been suspended for comments she made about the Covid-19 vaccination programme.

QuoteDr Anne McCloskey, a former Aontú councillor
Oh, fucking Aontú, the pro-life splinter of Sinn Féin.

QuoteDr McCloskey said she was "distraught" by the number of young people "damaged" by "unlicensed and unapproved" vaccines.
Maybe she can join Andrew Wakefield and his grift.

I got caught on the hop a couple of weeks ago when having a civilised conversation with a friend who asked me why he should give the vaccine to his teenage children. "They won't get sick" didn't persuade him because "children don't get it" and "why can't we just get sick". I completely forgot about Long COVID. About 4% chance of kids developing that if they get COVID-19. Parents are willing to risk that (and the 1.5% death rate) but won't risk a one in a million chance of vaccine injury.

Barry Admin

You would think!  Just saw this article and was flabbergasted by their continued reticence.

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58636057Covid-19: NI health service 'will topple over' without action

Northern Ireland's health service is "about to topple over" if immediate action is not taken, the deputy first minister has said.

Michelle O'Neill said staff were "facing into a very difficult winter" under current pressures.

She met staff at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast on Tuesday along with First Minister Paul Givan.

They both said they wanted to avoid any further lockdowns or "circuit breakers".

MojoJojo

I might regret this post tomorrow.

But what are you waiting for? Covid is here, we've vaccinated most people. Waiting longer is not going to change that significantly. At what point would you be happy for no more lockdown?

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 22, 2021, 12:29:52 AM

But what are you waiting for? Covid is here, we've vaccinated most people. Waiting longer is not going to change that significantly. At what point would you be happy for no more lockdown?

less than 10k cases a day would be a start...we're currently between 28 and 38 thousand cases a day at this point. being under 50 deaths a day would be nice too given we're currently at between 135 and 145 a day and rising. I know the deaths are nowhere near pre-vaccination levels but at the same time allowing 20-40k people to risk long covid and longterm stress on the NHS in order to not make some people sad seems insane to me personally.

I certainly arnt going anywhere or doing anything while its still running rife.

Barry Admin

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 22, 2021, 12:29:52 AM

It's a fair question and caused me to pause and think. 

My main issue is just the continued value given to business over human lives. There's all this talk about how "lockdown causes its own issues", but that's obviously a smokescreen.

We  have the highest infection rate in the UK (still, I think?) so I'd like to see some changes that impact that. Masks should be mandatory on buses and in shops - if you get on a bus now, a recording states that they are indeed mandatory, but no cunt wears them. There are more cases now than there were when we actually did go into lockdown.

I got sick the other week because shop staff haven't given a fuck about any of this for months now. There's absolutely no way that people in public-facing roles should not be wearing masks. This fucking idiot was visibly and audibly ill, but still couldn't put a bit of cloth over her stupid face. 

So the above would be a good start.

Uncle TechTip

But lockdowns were always about pressure on the NHS, not number of cases.

Maybe the shop assistant has a condition that exempts her from mask wearing.

Barry Admin

Well they're saying that the NI health service is going to "topple over" though mate, is that not a good enough reason for another lockdown?

And it's not just that one shop assistant, it's literally everyone in the Mace. I know one of the guys and mentioned it, and he gave some dumb justification for why none of them give a shit anymore. He was like, "my rule is that it's fine not to wear a mask if..." can't even remember what asinine nonsense he came out with after that.

One of them already did get Covid, late last year it woulda been. They're young, they simply don't give a shit, and don't want to be mildly inconvenienced, or to look like "pussies" on a rough estate.

Barry Admin

Seeing pancreas and Janie Jones being so blasé does make me wonder if I should calm down a bit and worry less, but it's in my nature to worry :-)

I am double jabbed, but I'm still immunocompromised and feel pain and such very intensely. I do need to start getting out again, even if only at night, cause that Mace is basically the only place I ever go now.

It's just fucking everywhere now tho, everyone I know is either catching it or knows people who have caught it. I dunno.

MojoJojo

I have some sympathy with shop staff. Very easy to become blasé about mask wearing when you've had to constantly put up with customers not wearing masks and haven't been able to isolate.

(fake edit - blasé! Jinks!)

Drygate

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to judge people who've been amongst it the whole time for not wearing a mask or taking it as seriously as some others.

Barry Admin

Really?  Why?  It's just a bit of cloth. 

mothman

Oh, you haven't met? Barry, annoying antivaxxer; annoying antivaxxer, Barry.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: mothman on September 22, 2021, 09:27:38 PM
Oh, you haven't met? Barry, annoying antivaxxer; annoying antivaxxer, Barry.

Is he an anti? I though he just assumes that his right to do anything he wants, no matter the grave consequences to his fellow humans, takes precedence at all times.

Glebe

Fucking bus packed yesterday, schoolkids crowded near the driver and all. 100% capacity on transport again=not good idea.

Alberon

The last couple of weeks I've seen a sharp drop off in mask wearing indoors and I'm getting a little twitchy seeing all the students at uni mostly not wearing them either.

Thank god I don't have to teach the little fuckers.

If there is one thing that can be guaranteed. If there is a lockdown needed it won't be imposed until long after it should have been. You can't expect Johnson and his cabinet clownshow to learn after only making the mistake a couple of times before.

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 22, 2021, 01:38:07 PM
Seeing pancreas and Janie Jones being so blasé does make me wonder if I should calm down a bit and worry less, but it's in my nature to worry :-)

I am double jabbed, but I'm still immunocompromised and feel pain and such very intensely. I do need to start getting out again, even if only at night, cause that Mace is basically the only place I ever go now.

It's just fucking everywhere now tho, everyone I know is either catching it or knows people who have caught it. I dunno.

Are there any big parks within walking distance where you could wander about and give people a wide berth if they're not wearing a mask (or shooting up, or setting fire to a car or something)? Might be good to do that to ease yourself in. Maybe get up early on a weekend if you can, so you can get in before picnic pricks flood the area with loud, drunken, unmasked chatter. Worked for me, although I know it's very situation-specific advice.